A day in Nice!

BeachChica

We arrive 8 a.m. until 11 p.m. on a Saturday October 13 and are docked in Nice. I have read suggestions and I'm anxious to see the Market (will it be open) the Castle, and suggestion for economical lunch spot also if Matise/Chagall museums will be open. Also would like to go to Eze for a few hrs. to purchase reasonable priced perfumes to take home to family. Friends traveling with us wish also to to Monaco/Monte Carlo. Can we fit everything in one day. What are the best options? What are the best items to purchase and remember the French Riveria? Thank you, Merci!!!

Chagall only closes on Tuesdays. You should allocate 1.5 hours to it. It is a small museum.

There are a bunch of little restaurants surrounding the Course Saleya. There are even bakers at the market selling pretty good homemade pizza, if you are short on time and want an economical lunch. You could always grab a crepe there or pastry for dessert.

With respect to your schedule, it is pretty aggressive, considering you want to see three different spots in one day. But you have until 11 pm. So it is doable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again! Just wanted to make sure I am getting to Nice the quickest way possible from Villefranche so I can get to the Flower Market before they close for the day. Bus or Train?

Which do you think would be fastest considering length of the trip, departure times and location of the pick-up/drop off points. I was considering taking the 100 bus but just wanted to make sure. Is there any with the bus filling quickly leaving Villefranche when a ship is in port and needing to wait for another?

Thank you!

Hi,

We will be docked in Cannes, May 11 from 8-7PM & would love to visit Nice.

Would a train be a good idea to take us there? Ideally a private tour appeals more however with just the 2 of us the cost is quite high.

I'm reading Rick Steves book but still confused. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply.......... I am attaching a link to a site,,,please take a look at the pics. I would like to visit that particular beach in my journey,,,, and as I said before,,, just would like to have a quick look at Monaco and have a "feel" of the french life in VF

Whats the best way to do this?

Thanks

http://www.losviajeros.com/Blogs.php?e=15824

EN

hello

don't worry the Grand Prix is on 24 til 27 so no problem about that

your problem is the hour 7h AM it's really early and nothing is open

you will have to make a choice : staying in Monaco or Nice

what i suggest you is taking the 100 bus to go to Nice a 7 AM staying in the old town ( cours Saleya the castle Place Massena etc.... ) take the 100 back to Monaco around 12H30 ( 45mn ) you ll will have time to see Monaco too

:)

sorry for me too i was on a cruise ...just came back

i can't see wich beach it is ..... we have so many lolol

the second picure is a view of Place Massena ( the final bus stop of th 100 is just on the left after the water ( can't see it on the picture)

after you have the view from the Castle: the cascade of the castle and the port of Nice ( on the left side of the castle

sorry i don't recognize the others :)

Welcome home Pobulus! Thank you for your great information!

I have never docked at the port of Nice before, so I have a few questions. We show that we dock at 7am , although I am aware that that does not mean we are free to leave the ship at that time. We have agreed to meet our guide at the Hotel Beau Rivage at 9am with the plan of walking from the ship and visiting the Cours Saleya on our way. Just how congested will the port area be? Is it a long walk from the ship to an exit gate? Given those answers, will I be able to get a "taste" of the market and still meet at our agreed time?

Merci!!

Welcome home Pobulus! Thank you for your great information!

I have never docked at the port of Nice before, so I have a few questions. We show that we dock at 7am , although I am aware that that does not mean we are free to leave the ship at that time. We have agreed to meet our guide at the Hotel Beau Rivage at 9am with the plan of walking from the ship and visiting the Cours Saleya on our way. Just how congested will the port area be? Is it a long walk from the ship to an exit gate? Given those answers, will I be able to get a "taste" of the market and still meet at our agreed time?

Merci!!

i m surprised you dock on the port of Nice it s so small !!!

when you get out of the port you will see the avenue you must take the direction for the " Monument of the Death people" it's just up this avenue the road is turning on and your hotel is there ....... as you can see it's very near by walk it will take about 15 mn ( as i said it depends where you ll get of the port) the problems is yours luggages .... if you have a lot you ll be obliged to take a taxi even if it's a short drive !! If you dock a 7 am and can get out of the ship at around 8 you will have planty of time

if i understand you want to go to the market before your meetting time ... it will depend again at what time you ll arrived at your hotel if you can get there around 8 am it 's possible because the market is near your hotel too :)

Actually, Pobulus, you were the one that made me aware that we are in port on the Grand Prix weekend. I thank you for that!! :)

This is just a one day port of call, so there is no luggage involved. But, we do want to make the most of our one day!! I've viewed the dock area on Google map, but wasn't sure if fences or gates would require a long walk around. 15 minutes sounds great! I'd like to leave the ship early so we can enjoy the flower market before we meet our guide....We agreed on the hotel to make the parking easier for her van. Per Hank's ongoing suggestions we will finally visit St Paul de Vence. Sadly our timing, makes MonteCarlo/Monaco and Cannes too crowded to visit.

I, too, would love to know whether there's a place to store our luggage after disembarkation in Monte Carlo. I'd like to spend some hours there before heading to our post-cruise stay in Nice.

I, too, would love to know whether there's a place to store our luggage after disembarkation in Monte Carlo. I'd like to spend some hours there before heading to our post-cruise stay in Nice.

:( sorry but for security raisons no way to store luggage anymore .... port,airport or even train station i don't know about Monte Carlo but i think it's the same

Actually, Pobulus, you were the one that made me aware that we are in port on the Grand Prix weekend. I thank you for that!! :)

This is just a one day port of call, so there is no luggage involved. But, we do want to make the most of our one day!! I've viewed the dock area on Google map, but wasn't sure if fences or gates would require a long walk around. 15 minutes sounds great! I'd like to leave the ship early so we can enjoy the flower market before we meet our guide....We agreed on the hotel to make the parking easier for her van. Per Hank's ongoing suggestions we will finally visit St Paul de Vence. Sadly our timing, makes MonteCarlo/Monaco and Cannes too crowded to visit.

i saw the map too you are certainly docking " port du commerce" wich is the farrest one from the main entrance of the port Happly for you the port is small you are docking atA on the map ( quai du commerce) you will have to do all the way until quai de Lunel on the other side , the main entrance is there The trees you see on the left belong to the Castle , le bistrot du port just before the Monument of death and your hotel just after

hope that will help

attachment.php?attachmentid=228236&stc=1&d=1333485785

2195032-3060451.jpg.6d5a9fafab6620fbfd8b135080c12dd0.jpg

i saw the map too you are certainly docking " port du commerce" wich is the farrest one from the main entrance of the port Happly for you the port is small you are docking atA on the map ( quai du commerce) you will have to do all the way until quai de Lunel on the other side , the main entrance is there The trees you see on the left belong to the Castle , le bistrot du port just before the Monument of death and your hotel just after

apparently there s also a possibility of docking on Quai Lunel near the Bistrot of port .. i think it up to the size of your ship that will be perfect for you : you just get out , cross the parking you will arrive in front of the Monument of death and walk 100 meters and arrive to your hotel !!!lolol

hope that will help :)

Do you know if the tenders coming off the Pullmantur dock in front of the Hotel Welcome?

Thanks

apparently there s also a possibility of docking on Quai Lunel near the Bistrot of port .. i think it up to the size of your ship that will be perfect for you : you just get out , cross the parking you will arrive in front of the Monument of death and walk 100 meters and arrive to your hotel !!!lolol

hope that will help :)

Do you know if the tenders coming off the Pullmantur dock in front of the Hotel Welcome?

Thanks

if you re talking about the Hotel Welcome in Villefranche , yes this area is very small too and i think the tenders will dock near it

You have just " a promenade' in Villelfranche with a lot of restaurants and shops but it's very small so .....

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. We are sailing on the NCL Epic in June. We have a port day in Cannes and we are planning to take a train to Nice because we have a tour reservation for 11am. I am hesitant to buy train tickets in advance because Cannes is a tender port and I cannot be sure when we will leave the ship and when we will arrive at the Cannes train station. Do you think we'll have any problems buying train tickets when(ever) we arrive at the train station?

Hello, Pobulus. We are sailing on the NCL Epic in June. We have a port day in Cannes on June 22nd and we are planning to take a train to Nice because we have a tour reservation for 11am. I am hesitant to buy train tickets in advance because Cannes is a tender port and I cannot be sure when we will leave the ship and when we will arrive at the Cannes train station. Do you think we'll have any problems buying train tickets when(ever) we arrive at the train station?

:) hello

it take 32 mn Cannes to Nice and June is not as crowdy than july or august

depends when you'll get off the tender i don't think you need to buy ticket in advance the train station is not very far it's 3 blocks after the desembarkation port

this is the hours train ( some) if you take the one at 8h 32 you will be in Nice at 9h 04

where is your meeting point ??? because you have 4 stop in nice ( i think that it s Nice ville) the others are some district but far from downtown

08h1608h57Le Vendredi 22 Juin 2012

Train%20TER.gif08h3209h04Le Vendredi 22 Juin 2012

Train%20TER.gif08h3709h08Le Vendredi 22 Juin 2012

Train%20TER.gif08h4109h22Le Vendredi 22 Juin 2012

Train%20TER.gif09h1109h52Le Vendredi 22 Juin 2012

Train%20TER.gif09h2609h59Le Vendredi 22 Juin 2012

"TER" trains are regional trains and you do not need to buy an assigned seat on them (you can, but don't have to). Which means that, if you buy your ticket in advance, you can board whichever train you want on that day (even it there is a time specified on the ticket) and find yourself an available seat. If you miss your schedule train, you can take the next one.

Otherwise, it's fairly easy to buy a ticket directly from the train station. There are automatic machines, but you need a credit card with an electronic chip, and I think US card don't usually have them, so you'd have to buy your ticket at the counter. There could be some queue, although around 9am it should be OK.

Thanks for your responses. The tour starting point is on the Promenade des Anglais opposite the Nice Opera house. The tour operator said Nice Ville is the station we want. Looks like there is a tram that runs near the train station down to the beach area (avenue Jean Medecin?). Do you know where to purchase tickets for the tram? Would I be able to get them at the train station?

Archived