conversation with 14 yr old son...

golfntob

I have Verizon, does anyone know how their international calling plan works? We will be in San Juan, St Thomas and Grand Turks but my 17 year old will be on a school trip to Europe so I want to stay in touch with her while we are on our cruise at the same time. I would like to be able to call her while we are in port...and I think we will have to put the whole plan on international calling? Because then my 14 and almost 13 year old can use their's also in port...but like everyone has said, while on the ship, its in the safe.

I have Verizon, does anyone know how their international calling plan works? We will be in San Juan, St Thomas and Grand Turks but my 17 year old will be on a school trip to Europe so I want to stay in touch with her while we are on our cruise at the same time. I would like to be able to call her while we are in port...and I think we will have to put the whole plan on international calling? Because then my 14 and almost 13 year old can use their's also in port...but like everyone has said, while on the ship, its in the safe.

If you both have facebook, you can do a chat on that. You will need to pay for internet minutes, but it is a lot cheaper than phone coverage.

The best part of vacation for me is disconnecting from the world. No phone, internet, texting, emails......LOVE IT!!!

AMEN!!!! I don't even mind the 7 zillion emails I have to clean out when I get back! Just having that week without connection is shear Heaven!!!

can't take a battery out of an iPhone

\

Shut it down.

I cruised with my two daughters and ALL of us put the phones in the safe for 7 days. They ket BEGGING me to just put it on airplane mode but I didn't even want to deal with that, heard horror stories where all of a sudden data starts streaming in, etc.

The girls did bring along and ipad and an itouch. Every port we went to they checked for a hot spot -- nothing. FINALLY, on the 5th day (4th port) we took an excursion out of a resort on Grand Cayman. VIOLA! Free internet!! So while we waited for others to show up, my daughters checked Facebook, updated status, and chatted feverishly.

I have Verizon, does anyone know how their international calling plan works? We will be in San Juan, St Thomas and Grand Turks .

We are sailing from San Juan to St. Thomas and I heard that Verizon is part of the plan in both places so you won't need international calling. CHeck with Verizon to be sure, I'm going to do that once we get closer to our sail date.

My now 17 year old won't even cruise anymore because I won't let her take her cell phone. She went on 2 without it and then decided she didn't want to go because she couldn't go a week without her friends. That's OK for me...its like a WIN-WIN!!!

this may be a long first cruise for him...:p

ME: you know there's no clocks in the cabins

SON: well yeah b/c like everyone will have their phone with them

ME: uh, cell phones don't work on the ship

SON: what? no 3G??

ME: no, no 3G for you

SON: no WiFi?

ME: no, no WiFi We'll be in the middle of the ocean.

SON: Man, I thought they'd have better technology than that....:confused:

Carnival doesn't have Cellular at Sea or an equivalent? The tech is there, at least on some lines. However ultimately you're bouncing the signal off a satellite and your quality/speed go down while the price goes up.

Oh well, he has 9.4 months to get used to the idea and learn how to write with a pen and paper...

I cracked up when I read that...but it is so true isn't it??

I was looking at all the books I have (I love to read) and I thought to myself that one day, my grandchildren are going to look at the books and say,

"What are they??"

Like my kids did when they saw a record album.

:eek:

Just watch your internet charges as well.

On our first cruise I bought a package for my god daughter to keep in touch with her mom (but she spent more time emailing her friends :rolleyes:).

On the Miracle, she decided she wouldn't use many internet minutes but ending up spending twice as much as if I'd bought the medium plan (and she would have had more internet minutes).

Oh man!! Taking my son, 15, on his first cruise and we had the almost identical conversation last night. Haha.
And we oldies thought addiction to drugs was bad?? :D

The New Addiction is to Instant Communication Via Gadgets

and the new generation simply can't do without it!

Watch for serious withdrawl symptoms.

Kid might even opt to stay home rather than cruise.

Don't be surprised if that option pops up -I'm serious!

I think someone already posted that that happened with her teen.

This is just beyond my comprehension.

And to think.....When I was a kid, I had two cans and a string....Going outside to play with a stick and a rock was a daily event :eek:

Kids these days....well.....they could have some appreciation for what they have and learn to let go...

And to think.....When I was a kid, I had two cans and a string..

..Going outside to play with a stick and a rock was a daily event :eek:

Kids these days....well.....they could have some appreciation for what they have and learn to let go...

Oh you're so OLD! :D I'm 60+ too..

Let GO? What are you talking about?

You mean embrace...even surgically implant!

Last year on our cruise out of Puerto Rico our son was able to use his cell phone in PR so on the way back to PR he got up high on the ship and as soon as he got bars, he started to text. Well he spent a lot of time to pay off that $160.

This is why we don't even bring our cell phones on the ship with us. It's good to also show the kids that life goes on without electronics as hard as this is for them to believe LOL! :D

My now 17 year old won't even cruise anymore because I won't let her take her cell phone. She went on 2 without it and then decided she didn't want to go because she couldn't go a week without her friends. That's OK for me...its like a WIN-WIN!!!

And we oldies thought addiction to drugs was bad?? :D

The New Addiction is to Instant Communication Via Gadgets

and the new generation simply can't do without it!

Watch for serious withdrawl symptoms.

If one of our girls or son didn't want to go on vacation because they couldn't bring a gadget, the gadget would make its way into the garbage!!!

All phones are locked into our safe- my son didn't quite know what to do with two hands without electronics to poke at. His thumbs twitched. Withdrawal. But he got over it. Mind you here I am on CC......:rolleyes:

We locked all of the cell phones in the safe too! The kids got over it pretty quickly!

They have skirts to chase. He'll get by.

I COMPLETELY agree! My son said the same thing last year just before our first cruise. He was so upset we booked and were MAKING him go.:mad: He ended up loving the cruise:rolleyes:....and met his current girlfriend on it!;)

Archived