Weather in May

Lucy

May tends to be a cool and some what rainy month in the Baltics, but like the weather anywhere, you just never know.

Here are a couple of threads from this forum that should help you a bit

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1366245

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=916947

The best thing to do is prepare for anything, and that means dress in layers. It WILL be cool in the mornings and evenings, and depending on how you view cool or cold, the daytime periods should be OK. Be sure to bring a windbreaker, maybe a sweatshirt if you get cold easily. The evenings on board the ship will be cold if you venture outside. I would also bring one of those thin plastic raincoats that you can put on and off very quickly and take up barely any room.

We were in the Baltics in Mid to late August and you could feel the Autumn chill creeping in. We had just glorious weather though, so by mid day, we were able to shed our jackets and enjoy the warmth of the sun.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Len

Thanks for the responses. Coming from Southern California we know 50's & 60's will be cold for us. We have planned on bringing our down jackets, which are probably considered autumn jackets for most people. Didn't think too much about the rain. Now will pack ponchos also. I always throw in a couple of umbrellas:rolleyes:

Below is a little summary with specific weather history for each of the three major ports. Prepare for and plan on some "layering". The only thing certain is change, including cooler in the early am's and late evenings, etc. Warming up during the day. On the exact dates you be visiting, as Ine suggested, that info can be obtained by going to this below website, plugging in the location name and then going to the lower area for an earlier date to what happened there last year on that date, past averages, etc. Check out:

http://www.wunderground.com

Here are a few weather averages for these three key cities in the Baltics:

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May: 59/45 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 69/55 °F

August: 69/54 °F

September: 62/50 °F

St. Petersburg:

May: 59/42 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Stockholm:

May: 60/43 °F

June: 69/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 69/55 °F

September: 59/48 °F

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 61,624 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We are crusing the Baltics this year and we leave May 23rd. I have planned to dress in layers and bring a rain coat along. Hopefully, we won't have much bad weather!

Hopefully in late May, you'll have good weather in the Baltics. BUT, it's early February in Central Ohio and we're having high 40's coming up in the next three days here, plus having had a very mild January here. We never know for sure. With weather, change is the only thing certain. Dressing in layers is very smart!

THANKS! Enjoy your cruise! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 61,624 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Layers is ALWAYS the best solution! TLynn412 & TLCOhio - For you guys the 40's is probably cool... for us it's freezing!! We're wimps in the cold... LOL

Wimps?? No! In the midwest for early February, 40's is super nice. Almost like being in . . . Southern California!!

Wimps?? No! In the midwest for early February, 40's is super nice. Almost like being in . . . Southern California!!

Terry... that's what I meant about us being wimps, 40's to us is freezing :eek: You are the lucky ones, you can handle those cold temps ;)

Thanks for the responses. Coming from Southern California we know 50's & 60's will be cold for us. We have planned on bringing our down jackets, which are probably considered autumn jackets for most people. Didn't think too much about the rain. Now will pack ponchos also. I always throw in a couple of umbrellas:rolleyes:

I don't think down jackets is a very good idea. A light jacket that can take wind and some rain is much better. And if it is a cold day, wear something warm under the jacket.

There has been a lot of talk about cold weather in this thread, but it can also be warm in May. I live in Stockholm and can only speak for that city even if I have visited the other cities many times. Here I often spend days in May dressed in shorts and a tank top (of course only when I am at my country home, I would never wear that in the city). Temperatures can not only be cold, they can also be over 80 during a sunny day. You need to be prepared for warm weather too.

From what I see you will be here towards the end of May. By then the days are very long, the sun will be up long before morning, so the temperatures are already on the way up.

I think someone wrote that there would be a lot of rain in May. At least in Stockholm it is one of the driest months of the year. That is of course no garantie that it will not rain on the specific day when you will be here.

So as many have stated, bring clothes that you can wear in layers, and that are easy to carry around to take on or off as the situation changes.

North-bound... thanks for the response. We will dress in layers.

btw... our down jackets are lightweight down compared to what you might consider a true down jacket. We wouldn't even be able to buy a heavy down jacket in So.Ca. except in a specialty store. But I appreciate all the info and will pack accordingly.

north-bound - btw we'll only be in Stockholm for a day and have no plans as of now... any suggestions?

HI PrincessLucy, what you would prefer to do with one day in Stockholm is to some extent a matter of taste. But what everyone on this board seems to agree on is that the Vasa Museum is number one. And that you should spend some time in Gamla Stan (the old town).

Usually I don't give advice on what to do, after all I have no idea how a visitor could best see our city. I have never seen it like that, I was born here. But if you ask a more specific question I would certainly try to give you a better answer.

Here is a link that may be helpful. In this map you will find the different ports where you could be docking as well as the main attractions and the most useful transport options. http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0

HI PrincessLucy, what you would prefer to do with one day in Stockholm is to some extent a matter of taste. But what everyone on this board seems to agree on is that the Vasa Museum is number one. And that you should spend some time in Gamla Stan (the old town).

Usually I don't give advice on what to do, after all I have no idea how a visitor could best see our city. I have never seen it like that, I was born here. But if you ask a more specific question I would certainly try to give you a better answer.

Here is a link that may be helpful. In this map you will find the different ports where you could be docking as well as the main attractions and the most useful transport options. http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0

Thanks much. The Vasa and Gamla Stan were on my list.

Layers is ALWAYS the best solution!

TLynn412 & TLCOhio - For you guys the 40's is probably cool... for us it's freezing!! We're wimps in the cold... LOL

Haha, yes ... my husband and I are not too worried about the temps. My sister and BIL are joining us on this trip and they are from Arizona. I am sure they will feel differently about the weather!

Archived