New to Silversea....and can't wait

highlandshores

Le Champagne was most definitely NOT in 2009. Nastiest vein-ridden Foie I've ever had the displeasure of eating. The rest of the meal was a slight upgrade from the MDR. I think the best part was the wine pairing, but by no means was it worth the extra cost.

Highlandshores -- please remember that all comments on Cruise Critic are subjective -- I'm sure there are people who will disagree with baychilla's opinion.

I know all replies are stated as a "personal opinion", but that is why I am always on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor when I am ready to take my vacation because it is regular people stating their likes and dislikes. They are honest opinions instead of the hotel or ship saying everything is wonderful. That is why these boards are here and I appreciate them and yours.

Highlandshores -- please remember that all comments on Cruise Critic are subjective -- I'm sure there are people who will disagree with baychilla's opinion.

Ill just leave this here. Taste is most definitely subjective, however bad ingredients are something else all together. Well that and their inability to ever cook a decent risotto (snap crackle pop).

Ill just leave this here. Taste is most definitely subjective, however bad ingredients are something else all together. Well that and their inability to ever cook a decent risotto (snap crackle pop).

Truer words were never spoken ... food, wine, entertainment ... it is all subjective. That is one of the reasons why I never put any energy into other people's opinions. I like to find out for myself as over the years, I have taken people's advice on things, only to find out their taste did not really jive with mine. How many times I have sat through a movie I disliked, or ordered a dish in a restaurant I wasn't too fond of, only because someone else said, "you will love it!"? But, it's one of the things I love most about being human, finding out how different we all are! :D

Truer words were never spoken ... food, wine, entertainment ... it is all subjective. That is one of the reasons why I never put any energy into other people's opinions. I like to find out for myself as over the years, I have taken people's advice on things, only to find out their taste did not really jive with mine. How many times I have sat through a movie I disliked, or ordered a dish in a restaurant I wasn't too fond of, only because someone else said, "you will love it!"? But, it's one of the things I love most about being human, finding out how different we all are! :D

I have to agree. To a point. At some point you get either an ingredient thats off (eg: vieny foie) or something thats cooked horribly wrong (eg: risotto thats more reminiscent of Rice Krispies with every bite having a tooth shattering crunchiness a la SilverShadow for my '09 Alaska cruise...) at that point subjective taste is out the window (eg: "cilantro tastes like soap" v. "I love cilantro").

However, that's also why I'll say this: Toss the money out for: Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, SilverSea, Oceania, and, Azamara. They're all supposed to be near the same OF SORTS, but depending upon itenerary/crew you'll end up loving some and feeling cheated on others.

[To be extra fair while the chef on that SilverSea cruise generally couldnt find his posterior given 2 weeks, 14 men, 14 flashlights, a ladder and rope the marrow that I was able to get off their osso bucco - especially after the waiter saw what I was doing and not only aided but abetted that endeavor:D was out of this world.]

The proper answer is that there is only one restaurant with charges on SilverSea.

We don't drink alcohol so have never tried Le Champagne.

We also don't dine when on land, we eat. So we are blown away by the dining experience on SilverSea in the MDR and Hot Rocks, although the serving sizes at Hot Rocks are more 'American' than European so we share an entree most nights but with two sets of sides. We are not big on Italian so have not enjoyed our meals at La Terrazza as much as in the MDR, but again, that is based on our taste and not experience about what is good Italian food.

We have had less than perfect meals on SilverSea but they are few and far between and often easily corrected by bringing it to the attention of the waiter. And, almost always, the fascinating conversation over the meal makes the food almost secondary to the dining experience. Open seating combined with exceptional clientele is what makes the SilverSea dining experience for us.

CanadianKate is correct that there is only one restaurant with a surcharge on all Silversea ships except the Spirit which has Seishin -- also with a surcharge.

We have cruised on Silversea twice (Silver Spirit and Silver Whisper) and just booked another cruise. There was never an issue with food on our cruises. We almost dined at Le Champagne twice but cancelled the reservation because the menu did not sound good to us. All menu's were available to view on our first day onboard. If we finally decide to dine there, we would do it without the wine pairing so the cost would be $30/person plus the cost of the wine you order (if you decide to order wine -- do not think it is a requirement).

Whether you decide to try Le Champagne or Seishin or not, you are going to have a wonderful experience on Silversea:)

CanadianKate is correct that there is only one restaurant with a surcharge on all Silversea ships except the Spirit which has Seishin -- also with a surcharge.

We have cruised on Silversea twice (Silver Spirit and Silver Whisper) and just booked another cruise. There was never an issue with food on our cruises. We almost dined at Le Champagne twice but cancelled the reservation because the menu did not sound good to us. All menu's were available to view on our first day onboard. If we finally decide to dine there, we would do it without the wine pairing so the cost would be $30/person plus the cost of the wine you order (if you decide to order wine -- do not think it is a requirement).

Whether you decide to try Le Champagne or Seishin or not, you are going to have a wonderful experience on Silversea:)

Thank you so much for the info. Greatlly appreciated.

. If we finally decide to dine there, we would do it without the wine pairing so the cost would be $30/person plus the cost of the wine you order (if you decide to order wine -- do not think it is a requirement).

the wine pairing is being eliminated in Le Champagne and the complimentary wines will be available in addition to the ones available for purchase.

Worth is a subjective thing. We have always enjoyed le Champagne and Sieshin. However, we don't get the wine paring in either. In Sieshin I would recommend getting one of the tasting menus, at least the first time, rather than the full menu unless you're very hungry. It's a lot of food! I'm glad to hear that they're doing away with the wine paring in le Champagne. If you want a good wine with the meal you can just buy a bottle from their stock, which is very good. Either restaurant is a good place to spend some of your OBC.

In March this will be my first cruise on this line. Are the restaurants on the ship worth the upcharge?

Hello highlandshores!

We are from the Dallas area (guessing you are as well?). I can tell you that we absolutely enjoyed the lobster experience on our 9 day Cloud trip (we returned 2 weeks ago). Not only were the presentations, flavors and executions excellent, they managed to adapt each course to suit my Wife's allergies (onions, peppers, sage) so I really applaud them.

We recently sailed 21 days on the Silver Spirit, during Christmas/New Year and into January.

We didn't eat in Seishin, so I can't comment on that. We ate in Le Champagne four or five times. Clearly we found the food to be very good to excellent, and worth the $30 pp charge.

In all restaurants, we thought that the food on this cruise was better than on our previous Spirit cruise.

Toss the money out for: Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, SilverSea, Oceania, and, Azamara. They're all supposed to be near the same OF SORTS, but depending upon itenerary/crew you'll end up loving some and feeling cheated on others.

The food and service may vary depending on itinerary and who happens to serve you, however, the hardware (e.g. cabin size and layout, facilities on each ship) is specific to that ship, and usually you can find that out on their respective websites before you book.

Archived