New computer packages and pricing

travelglobetrotter

There was a time that I could handle the poor service and cost on Oceania. Then they allowed their contractor to bar the use of the PC for off-line composition and they totally lost me. To add insult to injury on our recent Marina cruise we had a cabin that had a laptop provided but 99.9% of its capability was off limits. How crazy is that except as a money making machine!!

Wow, I didn't know they could have found a way to bar a passenger with their own laptop from composing off-line and then cutting and pasting into email while online. How do they accomplish that? (I'm aware they do that with their own "provided" laptops, which is horrible.)

Wow, I didn't know they could have found a way to bar a passenger with their own laptop from composing off-line and then cutting and pasting into email while online. How do they accomplish that? (I'm aware they do that with their own "provided" laptops, which is horrible.)

I think the poster was referring to the supplied PCs/laptops and not personal laptops. You are right, they can't bar composing off-line on your own laptop.

I can announce today that since Saturday February 4, Marina's wi-fi issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately, every since her launch, the wireless internet system aboard Marina was not operating as intended.

The supplier during Marina's construction did a poor job of pulling wire and installing repeaters (antennas) in certain areas of the ship. Ultimately, the supplier went bankrupt and another supplier was engaged to finish the job. In any event, prior to February 4, all public rooms had adequate signal strength as did about half the accomodations. Today, all public rooms and all cabins/suites now have either 4 or 5 bars (5 bars is the maximum) of signal stength.

Riviera's wireless system is different than Marina's, is truly state of the art and has been tested extensively, so we are 100% confident that the system will work as intended from the very begining.

Regatta and Nautica will also receive upgraded wi-fi service (similar issue with certain accomodations currently receiving weak signal) no later than May 31, 2012.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

FDR

Is there a way to know which cabins on Regatta and Nautica have the stronger Internet signal? We are booked on a March cruise and I wonder if I can determine strength of signal before purchasing an Internet package. Very much appreciate the update from FDR.

Is there a way to know which cabins on Regatta and Nautica have the stronger Internet signal? We are booked on a March cruise and I wonder if I can determine strength of signal before purchasing an Internet package. Very much appreciate the update from FDR.

I don't believe that anyone has kept track of the signal strength in the various cabins, but if you are unhappy with your reception, they are very good about refunding the cost of the package to you.

Since we don't pay the balance of our on-board accounts until the end of the cruise, you won't even see it as a transaction on your credit card.

Is it at all possible that the buying power of a huge corporation like Carnival Corp can be an advantage to Princess and their other lines that a small cruise line like O cannot even dream of having?? Just a thought.

The answer to your question would be no.

We are sailing on the Paul Gauguin which is a small cruise line (one small ship) and their internet packages are reasonable.

The packages for the Paul Gauguin are:

$35.00 for 100 minutes

$62.50 for 250 minutes

The answer to your question would be no.

We are sailing on the Paul Gauguin which is a small cruise line (one small ship) and their internet packages are reasonable.

The packages for the Paul Gauguin are:

$35.00 for 100 minutes

$62.50 for 250 minutes

Yes, their internet is cheaper, but did you ever consider that they might be trying to (slightly) offset the gigantic cost of getting to Tahiti in the first place?

We live in Connecticut and weren't sure if they were quoting Airfares or telephone numbers :mad:

I also wonder if the demand for bandwidth in the South Seas might also be a factor??

• 1 month later...

I'm glad to hear about the much-needed Internet improvements. The horrible Internet experience on Marina in December sailing resulted in thinking twice about sailing with Oceania again, and I canceled one booking to Tahiti as poor Internet service experience was a deal-breaker. I just booked Regatta for Southern Allure in April 2013 thinking at least part of itinerary is in the USA where I can use my data card in ports. I'm a professional who takes working vacations - it is what it is - Internet connection is a must (and a business expense) but when it fails it is devastating.

I feel a refund of at least the half of Internet package cost would have been a good-faith measure to those who had such difficulty on my December 10th Marina sailing - my concerns expressed at the front desk several times (my husband even went down to try to remedy as I was stressed out), comments on mid-cruise survey, and the end of cruise survey were not acknowledged which was disappointing. Everything else we enjoyed on the ship - room, service, food, and excursions. Others from our large Cruise Critic group knew how upsetting this first-time experience was for me with Oceania because of Internet issues (which was the only down side of sailing).

I can announce today that since Saturday February 4, Marina's wi-fi issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately, every since her launch, the wireless internet system aboard Marina was not operating as intended.

The supplier during Marina's construction did a poor job of pulling wire and installing repeaters (antennas) in certain areas of the ship. Ultimately, the supplier went bankrupt and another supplier was engaged to finish the job. In any event, prior to February 4, all public rooms had adequate signal strength as did about half the accomodations. Today, all public rooms and all cabins/suites now have either 4 or 5 bars (5 bars is the maximum) of signal stength.

Riviera's wireless system is different than Marina's, is truly state of the art and has been tested extensively, so we are 100% confident that the system will work as intended from the very begining.

Regatta and Nautica will also receive upgraded wi-fi service (similar issue with certain accomodations currently receiving weak signal) no later than May 31, 2012.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

FDR

Yes, their internet is cheaper, but did you ever consider that they might be trying to (slightly) offset the gigantic cost of getting to Tahiti in the first place?

We live in Connecticut and weren't sure if they were quoting Airfares or telephone numbers :mad:

I also wonder if the demand for bandwidth in the South Seas might also be a factor??

Not a factor with regards to the airfare to Tahiti or the bandwidth in the South Pacific. (Paul Gauguin charges $35.00 for 100 minutes or $62.50 for 250 minutes).

Silversea charges for the internet are a lot less than Oceania also.

Silversea charges:

100 minutes for $45

250 minutes for $85

1000 minutes for $250

I would venture a guess that Oceania could up its profit on Internet packages if it lowered its prices. More people would be willing to purchase a package instead of scrambling off the ship at ports in search of free WiFi spots.

When we were on Marina in April, a sign-up page came up that showed considerably lower rates---rates intended for Marina staff. I would have loved paying those rates, rather than the 60 cents per minute rates I ended up purchasing with a package of 500 minutes. (I used all but 5 of those 500 minutes, but the majority of the time was spent waiting.....waiting.....waiting.....for connections.)

Glad FDR has upgraded the system. Hope to see a huge improvement on our upcoming Nov. TA.

[/b]

Not a factor with regards to the airfare to Tahiti or the bandwidth in the South Pacific. (Paul Gauguin charges $35.00 for 100 minutes or $62.50 for 250 minutes).

Silversea charges for the internet are a lot less than Oceania also.

Silversea charges:

100 minutes for $45

250 minutes for $85

1000 minutes for $250

That's nothing; internet service on Regent is free after 21 days of sailing (or on the first day if your cruise is 21 days or more). Of course, Regent costs a bit more than Oceania, as do PG and Silversea...so are their prices really reduced, or just built in to their fares?

I'm quite new to Oceania cruising and will be sailing on the Riviera in late September. I'm not sure who "FDR" is but I'd like to thank him or her for addressing this issue. While new to Oceania my wife and I have over 25 cruises under our belt and were quite disappointed with the past comments on Internet connectivity and pricing on Oeania ships.

We just completed a cruise on Celebrity's Eclipse. We had a concierge level suite with butler service which included 90 minutes of Internet connectivity. The internet cafe onboard was all Apple products. The service was absolutely perfect and there were many, many positive comments made by the passengers onboard about this service. There can be little excuse for today's newer ships not to have resolved this issue. Having said all of this I would like to know what the connectivity rate is for purchasing bundled minutes. Can someone provide that info? I'm assuming FDR is right about the Riviera being totally Internet receptive.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

FDR

I'm quite new to Oceania cruising and will be sailing on the Riviera in late September. I'm not sure who "FDR" is...

FDR is Frank Del Rio, the original founder of Oceania Cruise Lines and since 2007, Chairman and CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings, Inc. the parent company which owns both Oceania Cruise Lines and Regent Seven Seas Cruises. As such, he is absolutely the "top dog".

He faithfully reads Cruise Critic and comments whenever the situation recommends it. He has addressed issues from availability of fresh berries for breakfast (all ships were ordered to never run out) to bed linens (someone found a tear in a sheet and he had an immediate inventory done to eliminate that happening again) to overbooking (no passenger will ever be bumped from a cruise to do overbooking). If he says it, you can take it to the bank -- every comment he has ever made on Cruise Critic has turned out exactly the way he said it would. He is beloved by long time particpants in this forum because of his personal involvement.

He is genrerous to a fault, is a "foodie" who has said the one word that describes Oceania is "Taste", has personally (along with Bob Binder, former President of Oceania and current Vice Chairman of Prestige) selected all the art that hangs on all Oceania ships.

If that sounds like hero worship, he's earned it!

FDR is Frank Del Rio, the original founder of Oceania Cruise Lines and since 2007, Chairman and CEO of Prestige Cruise Holdings, Inc. the parent company which owns both Oceania Cruise Lines and Regent Seven Seas Cruises. As such, he is absolutely the "top dog".

He faithfully reads Cruise Critic and comments whenever the situation recommends it. He has addressed issues from availability of fresh berries for breakfast (all ships were ordered to never run out) to bed linens (someone found a tear in a sheet and he had an immediate inventory done to eliminate that happening again) to overbooking (no passenger will ever be bumped from a cruise to do overbooking). If he says it, you can take it to the bank -- every comment he has ever made on Cruise Critic has turned out exactly the way he said it would. He is beloved by long time particpants in this forum because of his personal involvement.

He is genrerous to a fault, is a "foodie" who has said the one word that describes Oceania is "Taste", has personally (along with Bob Binder, former President of Oceania and current Vice Chairman of Prestige) selected all the art that hangs on all Oceania ships.

If that sounds like hero worship, he's earned it!

Well said Don

Bill

Archived