Oosterdam to Hawaii

DAllenTCY

Good reminder since tomorrow the Oosterdam heads to Hawaii again.

I cannot remember but there should be a HUGE Bold reminder on the HAL boarding pass as well But see I cannot even remember if there is one, just goes to show I do not even look at it but I also would never board a ship with out my passport no matter where it was going. ;)

As Lisa said, HAL could do a better job of highlighting, bold printing, coloring some of the boarding pass in red, or something....because this happens EVERY Hawaiin Island sailing!

The Boarding Pass actually lists the following as being an acceptable form of passage "State Issued Drivers License (EDL)". An "EDL" is an enhanced type of driver's license issued by the states of Washington, Vermont, Michgan and New York only. This type of license verifies your US citizenship. It is used for people who frequently cross the US/Canada border. Many of Canada's provinces also issue these, and for the same reason.

If you don't have an EDL, you don't have proof of Nationality. It is easy to see why the confusion (mis-understanding) contributes to the problem. Also, a military ID, Costco membership card, etc. will not get you onboard. Book with a travel agent, not online when so much is at stake.

David

Be sure to bring your passports or government issued duplicate Birth Certificates. Every time on these cruises, somebody doesn't realize that they need one.

David: Good advice, as I'm sure there are people who don't realize they need to have proper documentation.

We leave soon on the Oosterdam to Hawaii, and always bring our passports.

Woody

I seem to recall a big, bold email from HAL a couple of weeks ago reminding us that we would not get on the ship without the preper credentials.

Does a birth certificate or EDL do the job with the ship stopping in Mexico on the way back? I haven't been to Mexico since coke was a soda so don't know what level of documentation they are looking for.

BTW, we've been staying in Escondido the past week and took a tour to Temecula slightly north of here on the 15 freeway and had to go through a permanent (?) border patrol checkpoint that appears to look for anyone who has been successful sneaking through the first 50 miles of USA.

Birth Certificates or EDLs are only valid for "closed loop" cruises....in otherwords if you embark and disembark at the same city. Otherwise, you must have a passport, and in some cases visas, immunizations, etc. It all depends on the particular itinerary.

David

We are leaving Vancouver and returning Vancouver....and we all have US passports, so I think we are OK there - - but what's this about vaccinations? Do we need something special here that I didn't know about...??

No, there's no vaccination for you to worry about.

But I am starting to wonder if you might need a chill pill. :D As younger grandgirl says---chillax!

. . . BTW, we've been staying in Escondido the past week and took a tour to Temecula slightly north of here on the 15 freeway and had to go through a permanent (?) border patrol checkpoint that appears to look for anyone who has been successful sneaking through the first 50 miles of USA.

In yesterday's L.A. Times, there was an interesting photo of a truck modified to smuggle illegal immigrants across the border. L.A. Times article with photo.

Woody

Talking it through helps me chill; when I have 20 cruises under my belt like the rest of y'all, I won't ask any questions, promise! ;):p

Don't get me wrong, I like you asking questions. It just seems that you're getting worried about things too much. If you can relax more, you can really enjoy the anticipation.

That's all.

Talking it through helps me chill; when I have 20 cruises under my belt like the rest of y'all, I won't ask any questions, promise! ;):p

This is one of the reasons Cruise Critic is thriving. Most of the Post or questions and answers. Feel free to continue to ask as it will make your cruise more enjoyable.

Ignore those post that are not agreeable to you as some post to increase the number of post that they have.

Remember to thank those that give you good information and as you cruise more help others that have questions.

I agree 100% with the last poster. Please don't stress over the small stuff. Be informed, make smart decisions based on all of the CC input, ask questions before you go, read about all of the requirements for your cruies, book early online for specialy restaurants that you may want to use (cancel 24 hours in advance if you change your mind when onboard) and

relax. Yes, embark and debark can be an hour long adventure, but inbetween... it's a lot like being in heaven.....since I've not been there yet.....maybe better?

David

Archived