Soooo much fun to fly

welldone60

Flying from San Jose CA to Fort Lauderdale for our Freedom cruise.

Original flights were, leave San Jose 6:30 am, short flight to Las Vegas, then direct flight to FLL.

First flight canceled.....they put us on a flight to Denver, connecting to FLL. Still good, but getting into FLL 2 hours later.

Then the fog rolls into San Jose......sitting on the tarmac for 1 1/2 hours. When we do get to Denver, we have now missed our flight to FLL. Snow storm comming into Denver.....not looking good.

They scrammble trying to get everyone out of Denver before the storm hits. We tell them to send us anywhere in Florida.

They get us the last two seats on a flight to Orlando....looking better.

Get to Orlando...layover for an hour, hop a short flight to FLL....arriving midnight.....yeaa, we made it.

Makes the cruise more fun laughing at all the little things that go wrong.

Hence the reason I do my best to find direct flights ... and before anyone 'yells' at me, I know there are airports that do not have direct flights. I live in a city that has an airport with very few direct flights ... I was lucky for my cruise next month - could have paid less for flights, but wasn't going to take a chance.

Glad you made it - now enjoy the heck out of your cruise!! I've got 41 more days and counting.

The OP has a much better attitude than I did when U S Air cancelled the first leg of our flight to Barcelona last summer! We "missed the boat" and finally made it to the second stop of the Magic two days later than scheduled. I whined about it for days--still whining about it. Whined so much that we had to schedule another European cruise this coming summer! ;)

This is why we always fly in at least a day or two early. It might not always be your weather that messes your flights up.

I live in Nebraska, so it's usually MY weather that messes the flights up ;)

I'm really glad you decided to go a day early, enjoy!!!!

Carole

With all the changes I hope your bags made it too :)

Hey your in Florida going on a cruise what do you need besides a bathing suit and a toothbrush :D

If any baggage gets lost, it may be hard to trace with all of those flights

Atleast you were smart enough to fly the day before the cruise and not the morning of the cruise. Imagine missing your cruise due to this flight mishap..yikes

I always fly in a day or two early just in case.

In October we flew into Barcelona 3 days early and it was great.

We had a few days to acclimate to the time zone change.

When you're crossing The Pond, going that far

it makes a ton of sense to spend 2 or 3 days prior to -and after- the cruise!

When paying all that money to go That Far, you might as well go the whole nine yards

-it's not like it's something you're gonna do every year.. :cool:

With all the changes I hope your bags made it too :)

Hey your in Florida going on a cruise what do you need besides a bathing suit and a toothbrush :D

Mt wife would have been a basket case...................

If any baggage gets lost, it may be hard to trace with all of those flights

Atleast you were smart enough to fly the day before the cruise and not the morning of the cruise. Imagine missing your cruise due to this flight mishap..yikes

No bags when we got off the last flight.....but they did find them and delivered to our hotel this mourning.

Yep...wife was a little worried, but I told her "Hey, we will get there".

We thought that the bags might have been left in Denver...but they made it...just a little later.

Had a great day today, board the Freedom in the mourning.

Mt wife would have been a basket case...................

I would of been a basket case!! This is why I don't cruise from anywhere I have to fly to. Flying used to be so exciting to me and FUN.....about 20 years ago. It sucks now. So I don't do it unless I absolutely have to.

Flying from San Jose CA to Fort Lauderdale for our Freedom cruise.

Original flights were, leave San Jose 6:30 am, short flight to Las Vegas, then direct flight to FLL.

First flight canceled.....they put us on a flight to Denver, connecting to FLL. Still good, but getting into FLL 2 hours later.

Then the fog rolls into San Jose......sitting on the tarmac for 1 1/2 hours. When we do get to Denver, we have now missed our flight to FLL. Snow storm comming into Denver.....not looking good.

They scrammble trying to get everyone out of Denver before the storm hits. We tell them to send us anywhere in Florida.

They get us the last two seats on a flight to Orlando....looking better.

Get to Orlando...layover for an hour, hop a short flight to FLL....arriving midnight.....yeaa, we made it.

Makes the cruise more fun laughing at all the little things that go wrong.

Wow...what an adventure! And you handled it all very well too. Glad it worked out and you got there in time for your cruise. And I thankyou also for not complaining about the airline staff, ( I used to be one ). You have a great attitutude, and while air travel is definitely no fun anymore, you sure made the best of the situation.:)

That sucks. I had annual training yesterday (I am in the airline industry) and they came in and announced Denver was shut down. Nobody like this, so I am sorry for your disruption, but sounds like you handles it like a grown adult (kudos). I can't believe the way some adults act sometimes total meltdowns. Yikes. Most cruisers know how to roll with it. I'd say we are a pretty chilled group!

I wish there was such a thing as a direct flight to Miami from Calgary, but alas no such luck!!

Prices are outrageous!! To fly from Calgary to Toronto to Miami on Westjet is $1000 per person return.

If I look at Expedia, to fly from Calgary to Houston to Miami on United is $625 per person return.

We aren't cruising until November so still some time to try to find some good prices!!

I would try VERY hard not to fly through Denver, as they quite often get storms and are closed.

We fly at least a day early due to the fact that we like to cruise in the winter and weather is unpredictable.

Glad you and your baggage made it!!!

Happy Cruising!!!

Hence the reason I do my best to find direct flights ... and before anyone 'yells' at me, I know there are airports that do not have direct flights. I live in a city that has an airport with very few direct flights ... I was lucky for my cruise next month - could have paid less for flights, but wasn't going to take a chance.

Glad you made it - now enjoy the heck out of your cruise!! I've got 41 more days and counting.

FYI, a direct flight involves a stop in one city with no change of planes. A non-stop is just that, a flight that doesn't make a stop between your departure city and your destination. I hope this helps in your future travels.

Archived