Is it feasable to get off 1 boat and onto another

mips

You have part of it correct. The first problem would be that the cruise would be from KW to FLL which isn't allowed unless there is a stop at a DISTANT foreign port. I believe the closest one would be Aruba and the odds of a ship leaving FLL with the first stop at KW and then going to Aruba and back to FLL (which would be allowed) is slim and none, unless it is longer than 7 days.

Gregg

Little confused since there are itineraries that start in Port Everglades and the first stop is Keywest that we have taken. It was a seven day cruise and the ports visited were the Grand Caymans and Jamaica.

Vinnie

Little confused since there are itineraries that start in Port Everglades and the first stop is Keywest that we have taken. It was a seven day cruise and the ports visited were the Grand Caymans and Jamaica.

Vinnie

I don't know if you read the entire thread, but somebody was asking about doing a B2B, coming into Port Canaveral and leaving on the second cruise out of FLL. Somebody mentioned that if they missed the ship in FLL they could drive to KW and board the ship there. In your example, you wouldn't be allowed as neither GC or Jamaica are considered DISTANT foreign ports. Distant is the key word to not violate the PVSA rules.

Gregg

in a different port on the same day? Say get off Dream in Port Canavrel and onto Freedom in Fort Lauderdale? Preferably using a shuttle bus.

I have done a B2B first in Miami than in Fort Lauderdale. I used SAS and they were very happy to take me from the port of Miami to port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale). I don't recall the cost but I believe it was somewhere around $17 per person which was in 2009. Being a solo traveler, I felt that it was a bargin.

I don't know if you read the entire thread, but somebody was asking about doing a B2B, coming into Port Canaveral and leaving on the second cruise out of FLL. Somebody mentioned that if they missed the ship in FLL they could drive to KW and board the ship there. In your example, you wouldn't be allowed as neither GC or Jamaica are considered DISTANT foreign ports. Distant is the key word to not violate the PVSA rules.

Gregg

Your right that's why I was confused. The closest foreign ports would be one of the ABC islands in that scenario.

Vinnie

in a different port on the same day? Say get off Dream in Port Canavrel and onto Freedom in Fort Lauderdale? Preferably using a shuttle bus.

That one is tough. It is about a 4 hour drive. Some people say to fly, but it will be much quicker to drive. If you do self assist on the first cruise you can be on the road and to FLL by about 1:00 if there are no problems on I-95.

Maybe look at one ship that returns on a Saturday and the second one that leaves on a Sunday. You then can take a leisurely drive and enjoy the day in South Florida

We've done B2Bs this way and the all in one in a day B2B. We got off the Freedom OTS in Cocoa Beach at 7:00 and drove down to MIA and were on the Carnival Valor by 11:00.

We often will drive 4 or 5 hours the day of a cruise to get on the ships. It's no different having the 200 miles from Cocoa Beach to MIA. Of course this is early on a Sunday morning.

I don't see where the problem is. We have done it many times by driving between all of the FL ports. Miami. Tampa, Port Caneral, and Ft Lauderdale. There wasn't any shuttle but if it is between Ft L and Miami you might be able to do the tranfers to and from the airport two the ports but a cab would probably be cheaper and more convient. You could run in trouble if there is a hurricane or delay with the ship arriving in port. This happened on a cruise that we were doing a B2B. Luckily it was a B2B on the same ship. We didn't dock until 8:00 pm due to an emergency medical evacuation the evening before. The people getting off had a nightmare due to missing their flights and the people getting on were not too happy and very hungry.

Just did this in Jan. First you do the self assist to get off the boat. We were off the Sensation and in the rental car by 8:30am. It took us 3 hours, driving 75 mph.( This includes a quick stop at Hardrock in Hollywood, needed to get a Hardrock Pin) Dropped the rental car at the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale airport. Some rental car companies have a free shuttle to the ship. If i was to do it again, I would take a taxi to the pier. After all that we were on the ship by 1pm, but in time to watch the football playoffs. Now be prepaired to stand in line at the FLL pier. They are in an old building and not very fast to book people in.

Port Canaveral is NOT 4 hours from Port Everglades. More like 2.5 hours. I live an hour from PC, and Ft. Lauderdale is 3.5 from my house on I-95. There is no way flying would be quicker, especially heading to Orlando first. One way car rental is the way to go.

We have done this. Took a 3 day on the Sensation. (it was dirt cheap) Did self assit debark. Took free shuttle to rental car company. Drove to Miami. Stopping to get gas and beer. (before they got strict). Dropped car off at Miami rental car and took free shuttle to port. We did have to wait in line to embark, but we were there in plenty of time. Looking to do something like this again in November.

Much to far apart to take such a risk. If you do it try one ending sat and the other ending sun.

We did it with no problem and you end up having at least 6 hours if not more to drive under 3 hours. Especially going out of Ft. Lauderdale on the second leg since the port is 15 minutes from the airport if a rental car was return there.

Vinnie

Archived