Mexican Vanilla

workstocruise

Thanks for all your help. I may try that store in town. I didn't know you could get it in San Antonio. I have a friend who has family in McAllen, Tx and she usually crosses the border and brings some back for me, but with all the crime down there she doesn't go anymore.

I'm in the McAllen area and I don't know about any crime "down there". Where is "down there"? I was across the border this weekend and still haven't witnessed or heard of any crime in Progresso. I'd be interested in where the crime report is from?

Mexican vanilla is readily available on both sides of the border or by mail order. All of the major brands that we buy on the other side of the border are online too.

We'll be sailing on the Mariner on 3/25 and was wondering if you can purchase Mexican vanilla at any of the ports. We are going to Belize, Roatan and Cozumel.:rolleyes:

Cozumel is the best place to get your vanilla. Just be sure to get the "Pure" vanilla and not the imitation kind. (Also, be sure to read the label and DO NOT buy it if it states tonka beans anywhere on it.) It runs $9 or $10 for a large bottle and is well worth every cent. (The imitation vanilla runs about $4 - $5 per bottle and is just not worth the savings. It is very bitter and inconsistent in flavor.)

I have NEVER had an issue with the vanilla purchased in Mexico. I am an avid baker and have never found all of the vanilla to be fake as some have stated. I have also always been able to purchase fully sealed bottles. I am only basing this on my own personal experience of purchasing vanilla there for the past 14 years or so.

Tip: To ensure that you are not getting vanilla with coumarin in it, read the ingredient label. If it has tonka bean anywhere on it, it will have coumarin. Look for labels with only vanilla bean listed. If there is no label or the label simply states pure vanilla without its source, you cannot be sure.

Some people may find it worthwhile to purchase the vanilla and some may not. I'm okay with it when I find the brands I want.

One needs to think a bit about Food Purity Laws.

In the USA, a product called "100% Pure Honey" need not legally contain any honey at all.

Most 100% Pure honey sold in the USA contains a substantial percentage of cheap Corn Syrup. Don't take my word for this. Google it.

In the USA, 100% roasted ground coffee contains an average of 13% roasted ground cockroaches. Once again, don't take my word for it. Google it.

In the USA, something called "100% California Chardonnay" need contain only 75% Chardonnay. The other 25% could be any other drinkable liquid - including water - and that 25% doesn't have to come from California - or even from anywhere else in the USA.

Do you think that Mexican Food Purity laws are better or worse than those in the USA?

100% Pure Vanilla??

Not likely.

We spend a month in Cabo every year where I used to buy my vanilla until I figured out that I can buy it from any Mexican grocery right in my own hometown for less!

Or Costco's Kirkland Real Vanilla ;)

I buy Molina Mecian Vanilla Blend at Wal-Mart. It does not contain coumarin. I really like this brand.

If you do buy vanilla in any of the ports on your cruise, avoid ones with a cork stopper. I bought a bottle in Mexico and mold grew on the bottom of the cork.

One needs to think a bit about Food Purity Laws.

In the USA, a product called "100% Pure Honey" need not legally contain any honey at all.

Most 100% Pure honey sold in the USA contains a substantial percentage of cheap Corn Syrup. Don't take my word for this. Google it.

In the USA, 100% roasted ground coffee contains an average of 13% roasted ground cockroaches. Once again, don't take my word for it. Google it.

In the USA, something called "100% California Chardonnay" need contain only 75% Chardonnay. The other 25% could be any other drinkable liquid - including water - and that 25% doesn't have to come from California - or even from anywhere else in the USA.

Do you think that Mexican Food Purity laws are better or worse than those in the USA?

100% Pure Vanilla??

Not likely.

Please cite the reputable sources for this information. Just because I can Google it doesn't make it true.

The 75% regulation for wine varietal/appelation labeling is correct for now, but there are a number of measures aimed at changing that to 100%. Do please cite where 25% can be water or other drinkable liquid for grape wine. Fruit "wine" has a completely different set of standards and does allow for the addition of water, particularly for wines made from reconstituted dried fruit.

I seriously doubt those statistics for honey and coffee. And yes, I did do some searching just for the heck of it.

beachchick

Please cite the reputable sources for this information. Just because I can Google it doesn't make it true.

The 75% regulation for wine varietal/appelation labeling is correct for now, but there are a number of measures aimed at changing that to 100%. Do please cite where 25% can be water or other drinkable liquid for grape wine. Fruit "wine" has a completely different set of standards and does allow for the addition of water, particularly for wines made from reconstituted dried fruit.

I seriously doubt those statistics for honey and coffee. And yes, I did do some searching just for the heck of it.

beachchick

http://www.honey.com//images/downloads/exhoney.pdf

^^ The FDA labeling requirements for honey. Things labeled 100% honey MUST be 100% honey.

Thanks for all your help. I may try that store in town. I didn't know you could get it in San Antonio. I have a friend who has family in McAllen, Tx and she usually crosses the border and brings some back for me, but with all the crime down there she doesn't go anymore.

Costco sells Vanilla in big bottles as well.

I'm in the McAllen area and I don't know about any crime "down there". Where is "down there"? I was across the border this weekend and still haven't witnessed or heard of any crime in Progresso. I'd be interested in where the crime report is from?

Mexican vanilla is readily available on both sides of the border or by mail order. All of the major brands that we buy on the other side of the border are online too.

They meant Progreso, Yucatan not Progreso, Tamaulipas.

As to the crime across the border from McAllen, just do a Google Search.

They meant Progreso, Yucatan not Progreso, Tamaulipas.

As to the crime across the border from McAllen, just do a Google Search.

I would google something that is in my backyard why? There certainly is significant narco crime in parts of Mexico. McAllen, TX and Progresso Mexico are not two of the areas affected.

I love all of these posts about how bad it is here, from Google and people that don't live here. Nice and quiet around here. Much better that most big cities in the US. Back to vanilla, readily available in stores and online.

I would google something that is in my backyard why? There certainly is significant narco crime in parts of Mexico. McAllen, TX and Progresso Mexico are not two of the areas affected.

I love all of these posts about how bad it is here, from Google and people that don't live here. Nice and quiet around here. Much better that most big cities in the US. Back to vanilla, readily available in stores and online.

Because you gave my an impression as to not noticing the increased presence of State (DPS) and Federal agents in the city you live in.

http://www.honey.com//images/downloads/exhoney.pdf

^^ The FDA labeling requirements for honey. Things labeled 100% honey MUST be 100% honey.

Exactly. That's why I'm wondering what reputable source shows that something labeled 100% honey is as Bruce Muzz claims:

In the USA, a product called "100% Pure Honey"need not legally contain any honey at all. Most 100% Pure honey sold in the USA contains a substantial percentage of cheap Corn Syrup

beachchick

Archived