Mexican Vanilla

workstocruise

At Cozumel, you'll see lots of vanilla. Be careful and be sure to buy pure vanilla. You don't want it with coumarin in it as it's toxic and can cause organ damage. We bought Los Cincos Soles. It has a white and yellow label. It's pure vanilla with the ingredients listed in spanish, but they are vanilla, water and vanilla alcohol. Beware of really cheap vanilla as it's more likely to contain coumarin and not be pure.

At Cozumel, you'll see lots of vanilla. Be careful and be sure to buy pure vanilla. You don't want it with coumarin in it as it's toxic and can cause organ damage. We bought Los Cincos Soles. It has a white and yellow label. It's pure vanilla with the ingredients listed in spanish, but they are vanilla, water and vanilla alcohol. Beware of really cheap vanilla as it's more likely to contain coumarin and not be pure.

I always buy vanilla extract from Los Cinco Soles. They have a small store at the port or if you make it the the main shopping strip in Cozumel, Los Cinco Soles has an awesome store and it one of the RCCL recommended store.

Here is their website: http://www.loscincosoles.com/products/vanilla

I heard on our last cruise that pure vanilla can be counted as a bottle of alcohol at US customs. Anyone know if this is true:confused:

Not sure but I brought it back on my last land trip to Mexico with no issue. It would be a little silly for them to consider alcohol!

I heard on our last cruise that pure vanilla can be counted as a bottle of alcohol at US customs. Anyone know if this is true:confused:

I've never heard that. Vanilla doesn't have enough alcohol in it. It has to be over a certain proof/percentage to be considered alcohol for that purpose. Not to mention, the bottles sizes are small so it would take a few to count towards your allowance. I don't think what you heard is correct anyway. In fact, a google search brings up nothing on it.

I've never heard that. Vanilla doesn't have enough alcohol in it. It has to be over a certain proof/percentage to be considered alcohol for that purpose. Not to mention, the bottles sizes are small so it would take a few to count towards your allowance. I don't think what you heard is correct anyway. In fact, a google search brings up nothing on it.

I agree 100% but someone in a shop had mentioned, it does have alcohol in it and you are only allowed 1 liter per person duty free so 2 bottles of alcohol and 1 vanilla puts you over the limit. I thought she was crazy but?:confused:

Thanks for all your help. I may try that store in town. I didn't know you could get it in San Antonio. I have a friend who has family in McAllen, Tx and she usually crosses the border and brings some back for me, but with all the crime down there she doesn't go anymore.

I am on that sailing with you too! Actually I just finished making butter cream icing with my vanilla fron Los Cinco. I plan to buy a bunch of little bottles when we port in Cozumel. Everyone I have given some to agree it makes things taste better and is so yummy!

Always buy ours from Los Cinco Soles in Cozumel as well. Have never had a problem bringing it on board the ship and we get the large bottles. I have tried the vanilla from Cozumel, Grenada, St. Thomas, Costa Rica, and a couple of other places (can't remember where exactly) and Los Cinco Soles was the best. My mother agrees and I pick some up for her as well!

Beware of really cheap vanilla as it's more likely to contain coumarin and not be pure.

Plus the really cheap vanilla almost tastes worse than the imitation vanilla stuff. My grandparents used to bring back big bottles of cheap vanilla (they live part of the year within walking distance of the border), and I always thought it tasted a bit off. Mum still had some in her cupboards and when she wasn't looking I pitched it down the drain because of the coumarin and the nasty taste...and the fact that it was something like 10 years old:eek::eek::eek:.

Thanks for all your help. I may try that store in town. I didn't know you could get it in San Antonio. I have a friend who has family in McAllen, Tx and she usually crosses the border and brings some back for me, but with all the crime down there she doesn't go anymore.

Tell her to go into Progreso. It's safe.

The toxic "vanilla" made from coumarin always says "Pure Vanilla" in English and Spanish on the label.

The best way to know it is fake is the price.

Real Vanilla is expensive - no matter where you buy it.

If the price is lower than you pay at home, it most likely is not real.

The toxic "vanilla" made from coumarin always says "Pure Vanilla" in English and Spanish on the label.

The best way to know it is fake is the price.

Real Vanilla is expensive - no matter where you buy it.

If the price is lower than you pay at home, it most likely is not real.

Exactly correct; I have never understood the fascination of purchasing vanilla in Mexico as most of it's fake. You cannot get a large bottle of real vanilla for a couple of dollars.

Exactly correct; I have never understood the fascination of purchasing vanilla in Mexico as most of it's fake. You cannot get a large bottle of real vanilla for a couple of dollars.

Just look at the bottles-they are not sealed. Those factory plastic rings are all broken as happens when you open a new bottle.

Archived