Ditch bag

lance32

All information such as passport scan, contact info, phone numbers, credit card info, medical prescriptions, should be accessible to you from a computer.

Besides me and mine the only thing I would really want to have is any essential medicine.

All information such as passport scan, contact info, phone numbers, credit card info, medical prescriptions, should be accessible to you from a computer.

Besides me and mine the only thing I would really want to have is any essential medicine.

I have all these documents scanned, saved as pdf files, and on my Nookcolor. The Nook will either be in the safe's bag or in my tote bag. I will also email it all to myself so there's a back-up copy.

Having lived in an Earthquake State, I have taken to carrying a "Ditch Bag" This bag holds vital stuff,suchas medications eyeglasses, and a Copy of your Passport. After the Tradegy on Costa, All cruisers should take the Muster Drill much more serious:). What items would you carry with you in case you had to abandon ship on a minutes notice?

lance 32 Jon P

The wife.

Your rolex watch, really???

Of course my hubby at minimum! For our Western Med cruise in June I will probably get a ziploc-type bag (gallon size) to keep stuff dry that can fit in a large fanny-type bag. I'll put important docs in it, with a small flashlight, meds, a small first aid kit, contact phone numbers, small stash of cash/euro, cell phone w/charger, and our IDs (DL, mil ID, and passports). I'll take the advice about scanning everything and emailing it to yourself too -- great way to have a paperless back-up copy!

But that said -- that planning you can do ahead may be worthless if your cabin is on the side that lists first, is on fire, etc. You don't have a way back to your cabin and no matter how well you prepared yourself, sometimes disaster can prevent you from even taking action on your best plan of survival.

My first answer would be nothing, if it´s an emergency evacuation there is not a second to spend on grabbing stuff. In the event of having a minute I might grab my wallet with money and credit cards and the passport. I qould definitel grab nothing that needs a bag to be carried, only stuff that I can wear on the body.

I´m surprised by those that would take a copy of their passport , if there´s time to grab something, why grab a copy and not the real thing:confused:

That's why we keep a very small emergency bag already loaded with what we consider necessary stuff. Around the ship, we always have our small waterproof cases (or my small evening bag) with ID, a day's worth of meds, and a couple of small things like hand lotion, lip balm, etc. A regular go bag (waistpack size, by the bed, and no harder to grab than a wallet) has ID, cash, spare glasses for me (I'm into the "must wear corrective lenses to drive" category), a small meds case, small waterproof flashlight, USB drive with all our info on it, mini Swiss Army knife, and small personal supplies.

I completely agree with you about the passport copy. Why grab a copy? Keep the real thing handy.

Good suggestion on the Diamond Pin !!! The Diamond/Diamond Plus Pins will help get you early entry into the lifeboats.

Darn! I knew there was a reason we should have been loyal to one cruise line and not keep hopping around. We're lowly first tier members on all the lines we've cruised with. Shoot.

I always travel with a flashlight and leave it by my bed side. I have vivid memories of my grandfather always saying make sure to take a flashlight with you to a hotel. He also made us find the emergency stairs whenever we got to the hotel room so we'd know where to go in an emergency. 40 years later and I still do both of these things. Pepa was a very wise man!

Smart man indeed. Another good one: Shoes by the bed or, at minimum, slippers with good soles.

beachchick

Archived