Silversea vs Regent Seven Seas - Alaska

alaska_planner

I love the sound of people laughing! I have been on 5 voyages now with Silversea and I have to say, I rarely hear people laughing. Yes, there is a titter here or there, but no loud raucous laughing, the kind of laughter that brings joy to your heart.

I love the SS brand, but I think many of the guests ARE "stuffy and pretentious". I am going to try Regent next after reading here that their demographic is more relaxed.

Hi Older Party, your post surprised me. I have never laughed so much with the group of people I met on my Transatlantic on the Silver Spirit in 2010. It was the best ever - we all met through CC and we all still keep in touch:). Sure there are some people that u don't 'gel' with but never in a million years would I describe the guests on SS as 'stuffy and pretentious'. Sorry that u found it that way.

Cheers

Jennifer

Jennifer, absolutely concur, your Spirit fall 2010 crossing led to lasting friendship, fond fellow pax memories as our maiden crossing in Jan 2010 did. Stuffy, pretentious are words that in no way describe "our" Spirit crossing (2010, 2011) or for that matter my other SS sailings.

ps..Jennifer, have u cleared our Spirit fall 2013 crossing with your boss yet? if not just send me an email/with contact info and I will discuss it with him/her :)

Sad that based on your two cruises on Silversea you found it stuffy and pretentious. I will be embarking on my 36th Silversea cruise on the Cloud at the end of this month and have never found it so.

"Stuffy and pretentious" is in the eyes of the beholder and is not necessarily a bad thing. Just being honest which, unfortunately, some posters are not. . . . they post what you want to hear. The bottom line to my comparison between the Navigator and Shadow was to recommend the Shadow. It was a no brainer:)

Sad that based on your two cruises on Silversea you found it stuffy and pretentious. I will be embarking on my 36th Silversea cruise on the Cloud at the end of this month and have never found it so.

While I have only cruised 5 times on Silversea, I do agree that there are guests who are stuffy and pretentious. I have overheard many comments on many occasions about the food, the excursions, the entertainment, and so forth that have made me roll my eyes and wonder how anyone can be that unhappy ... but then, I have also met many wonderful, fun, ribald people who have no qualms about laughing out loud and simply having a merry old time!

I think you can find stuffy people anywhere, but I do think the stuffy vs fun ratio on SS leans a bit more toward 'stuffy'. Of course, the word 'stuffy' could also be interpreted as 'reserved'. Americans have a tendency to see reserved persons as being 'stuffy'. Maybe it's just semantics. ;)

is there any place to relax in the evening other than in the bar?

we don't drink at all, so we'd be more interested in relaxing with a nice cup of tea or coffee...

is there any place like that on the ship? is it smoke free? or at least with a non-smoking area?

come on the cruise with us!!! - we LOVE to LAUGH (loud and long and clear....we love to laugh....so everybody can hear----i hope you're a fan of mary poppins ;) )

this will be on the silver shadow, but none of those would be dealbreakers for my mom :) (they might be for me, if i were considering a longer cruise with lots of sea days).

Of COURSE I'm a fan of Mary Poppins ... I'm practically perfect in every way! ;)

While I have only cruised 5 times on Silversea, I do agree that there are guests who are stuffy and pretentious. I have overheard many comments on many occasions about the food, the excursions, the entertainment, and so forth that have made me roll my eyes and wonder how anyone can be that unhappy ... but then, I have also met many wonderful, fun, ribald people who have no qualms about laughing out loud and simply having a merry old time!

I think you can find stuffy people anywhere, but I do think the stuffy vs fun ratio on SS leans a bit more toward 'stuffy'. Of course, the word 'stuffy' could also be interpreted as 'reserved'. Americans have a tendency to see reserved persons as being 'stuffy'. Maybe it's just semantics. ;)

semantics and cultural differences.

neither is bad or good, but sometimes make both sides feel a bit uncomfortable. :)

ps..Jennifer, have u cleared our Spirit fall 2013 crossing with your boss yet? if not just send me an email/with contact info and I will discuss it with him/her :)

Hi Wes

I'm not down and out yet so still keep me as tentative for 2013.

I've just booked the Galapagos & Easter Island for April and then my SS trip in September....this is a big holiday year for me so I don't want to push the Boss too much by mentioning 2013 yet :D

Cheers

Jennifer

Archived