Silversea vs Regent Seven Seas - Alaska

alaska_planner

Please tell me, all other things being equal, why i should prefer Silversea as opposed to Regent Seven Seas for our Alaska cruise (or vice versa)

We've never cruised with either company, so any information/opinions you provide would be most welcome, including the on board 'feel' of the two cruise lines (stuffy, relaxed, etc.)

I should add that I'm taking my 85 year old mother on the cruise (hubby can't get away).

Apparently, Alaska's on my mom's bucket list. I just found this out, so I'm planning this at the last minute (yes there's room with both cruise lines - i've checked).

Thanks in advance!!

Of the two ships mentioned, I would definitely take the Shadow. We've been on both ships. The Navigator was our least favorite ship of all the Regent ships. I believe your mother would really enjoy the pax mix on the Shadow and I think you'd have fewer kids on the Shadow. The staterooms are comparable in size on both ships and I think the food would be comparable as well. Think you'd have better service on Shadow. Also, the Shadow was refurbed in Mar of 2011, so it should be in better shape than Navigator.

Need to consider what type and where the lectures/commentaries are. We have not been on Silverseas but last summer on the Navigator I was pleased that we could stay on our balconey and listen to commentary when we went to the glaciers. does the itinerary goes from north to south or the other way. One recommendation I had (and i used it) was to start up north because that is where the most exciting scenery is.

Of the two ships mentioned, I would definitely take the Shadow. We've been on both ships. The Navigator was our least favorite ship of all the Regent ships. I believe your mother would really enjoy the pax mix on the Shadow and I think you'd have fewer kids on the Shadow. The staterooms are comparable in size on both ships and I think the food would be comparable as well. Think you'd have better service on Shadow. Also, the Shadow was refurbed in Mar of 2011, so it should be in better shape than Navigator.

thanks!! you know how it is when you venture into something new. Looking for someone to confirm what you think is true.

We've only been on two cruises - years ago when the kids were little, we did two disney cruises.

They were ok. Too many people for me, though we were able to avoid the crowds to an extent (we were in the largest suite in concierge, so it was a bit of an island of calm, but not entirely - but the kids were happy, so it was ok).

We haven't been on a ship since then. It had more to do with the lack of time, but we also didn't find anything that strikes our fancy.

But i didn't know about the luxury lines.

From what i've read so far, it sounds like it will be a much better fit for us.

The only thing that worries me is the possibility that it will feel too formal to me.

I'm not a very formal person. When i have the time, I like taking vacations at canyon ranch in arizona. Sort of the antithesis of formal.

well. Anyway, this is for my mom. I'm SURE she'll be better on a small ship than on a big one with all that noise and craziness.

Speaking of size - do you feel the motion more because you're on a small ship?

That is, for those of us with motion sickness issues, do you think the smaller ship will be a problem?

After all, i could book us on one of the bigger ships in concierge if the small ship will be a problem for motion sickness.

Just my 2¢:

The ships are very similar in size, Silver Shadow is 28258 GRT and carries 384 pax while Seven Seas Navigator is 33,000 GRT and carries 490. (All numbers from nauticalcities.com)

It is my understandingRSSC is always country club casual, while I believe that Silversea will have a mix of dress codes.

I did not see a similar post on the Regent board, and while there are some very knowledgeable posters that have sailed more than one of the luxury lines and can give accurate comparrisons, it seems to me that most people have a favorite and are not unbiased. The biased definitely frequent the Regent board too, but you may want to ask there as well. (If I missed your thread there, my apologies)

Just my 2¢:

The ships are very similar in size, Silver Shadow is 28258 GRT and carries 384 pax while Seven Seas Navigator is 33,000 GRT and carries 490. (All numbers from nauticalcities.com)

It is my understandingRSSC is always country club casual, while I believe that Silversea will have a mix of dress codes.

I did not see a similar post on the Regent board, and while there are some very knowledgeable posters that have sailed more than one of the luxury lines and can give accurate comparrisons, it seems to me that most people have a favorite and are not unbiased. The biased definitely frequent the Regent board too, but you may want to ask there as well. (If I missed your thread there, my apologies)

you're right - i haven't posted there..

i meant to, but was distracted and forgot..

although, i have to say, silversea has already shown itself to be far more responsive than RSSC....

Please tell me, all other things being equal, why i should prefer Silversea as opposed to Regent Seven Seas for our Alaska cruise (or vice versa)

We've never cruised with either company, so any information/opinions you provide would be most welcome, including the on board 'feel' of the two cruise lines (stuffy, relaxed, etc.)

I should add that I'm taking my 85 year old mother on the cruise (hubby can't get away).

Apparently, Alaska's on my mom's bucket list. I just found this out, so I'm planning this at the last minute (yes there's room with both cruise lines - i've checked).

Thanks in advance!!

We have sailed on the Silver Shadow(Silversea) for a 10 night cruise to Alaska in 2009 and on the Navigator(Regent) for a 12 night cruise to Alaska in May of 2011.

Silver Shadow is a much nicer ship(decor/spacious) over all than the Regent Navigator.

The suites are about the same but the bathrooms are much nicer on the Silver Shadow. The bathrooms are newer and have double sinks.

Both ships are about the same size but the Silver Shadow carries 108 less passengers. Found the Navigator way too crowded compared to the Silver Shadow.

There is a forward lounge to sit in on the Silver Shadow. There is no forward lounge on the Navigator.

The service was better/more personal on Silversea compared to Regent.

Plus everyone gets a Butler on Silversea. We had a Butler on Regent which gave us good service but the Butler service is only available from the Penthouse suites and above on Regent.

The food is about the same on both lines.

The excursions are included on the Navigator but not on Silversea but Silversea does give you around $1000-1500 shipboard credit.

If you don't want to dress formal on formal nights...You can always eat at La Terrazza on the Silver Shadow.

In regards to motion sickness issues....Try to book midship and you shouldn't have a problem.

You will not find the tacky art auctions on the Silver Shadow. The Navigator did have the art auctions.

My husband and I are going on another 10 day Alaska cruise in July with my 87 year old father and decided to go on the Silver Shadow again.

We have sailed on the Silver Shadow(Silversea) for a 10 night cruise to Alaska in 2009 and on the Navigator(Regent) for a 12 night cruise to Alaska in May of 2011.

Silver Shadow is a much nicer ship(decor/spacious) over all than the Regent Navigator.

The suites are about the same but the bathrooms are much nicer on the Silver Shadow. The bathrooms are newer and have double sinks.

Both ships are about the same size but the Silver Shadow carries 108 less passengers. Found the Navigator way too crowded compared to the Silver Shadow.

There is a forward lounge to sit in on the Silver Shadow. There is no forward lounge on the Navigator.

The service was better/more personal on Silversea compared to Regent.

Plus everyone gets a Butler on Silversea. We had a Butler on Regent which gave us good service but the Butler service is only available from the Penthouse suites and above on Regent.

The food is about the same on both lines.

The excursions are included on the Navigator but not on Silversea but Silversea does give you around $1000-1500 shipboard credit.

If you don't want to dress formal on formal nights...You can always eat at La Terrazza on the Silver Shadow.

In regards to motion sickness issues....Try to book midship and you shouldn't have a problem.

You will not find the tacky art auctions on the Silver Shadow. The Navigator did have the art auctions.

My husband and I are going on another 10 day Alaska cruise in July with my 87 year old father and decided to go on the Silver Shadow again.

thank you for taking the time for that very comprehensive comparison!!!

my mom will be 85 this summer!

i found out in december that alaska is on her bucket list...she didn't call it a bucket list - she said she'd always wanted to see alaska and ride the glass domed train, but never got around to it....since my parents traveled around the world a zillion times, i guess it must have been my father who wasn't interested in seeing alaska :)

anyway, when i heard she'd always wanted to see alaska, i figured why not...

i had just finished planning my daughter's alaska honeymoon, so i was already in the mood to see alaska myself...so now i'm looking for the perfect cruise for us (DH will stay home....workaholics and cruises don't mix well :rolleyes: )

Go for it !

One thing that hasn't been mentioned -- IMO every American should see Alaska -- the last frontier -- magnificently beautiful scenery -- proud people. I've been 4 times (3 on Silversea, once on another line before we discovered Silversea in 1996) and each time has been wonderful.

And what a nice thing to do for your mother.....:)

you're right - i haven't posted there..

i meant to, but was distracted and forgot..

although, i have to say, silversea has already shown itself to be far more responsive than RSSC....

I bet that if you say something unflattering about RSSC on the Regent board, they will become responsive. :rolleyes:

I bet that if you say something unflattering about RSSC on the Regent board, they will become responsive. :rolleyes:

no, i meant that the company itself has been very responsive..

i went on to both of the cruise lines websites and filled out their online "ask for a quote" form.

silversea itself got back to me with a very detailed offer.

and the moment i ask another question, they respond immediately.

Very quick and friendly responses.

on the other hand, RSSC's response has been less than stellar.

At the rates they charge, i'm expecting more, even if i haven't yet booked with them.

but i didn't want to rule them out before i researched the two companies more thoroughly.

As i said, i'm not at all familiar with the luxury cruise lines.

Actually I'm not all that familiar with regular cruise lines either (other than the research i did to help my daughter with her upcoming honeymoon trip/cruise to alaska).

so i've been looking into the various companies and their cruises to alaska.

something that would fit my mom...

my daughter is going on radiance of the seas and while i could book us into concierge on RCCL, i know what a ship that size is like (it's comparable in size to the disney ships we were on with about 2,000 passengers)..

and even just getting around a ship that size would probably be a challenge for her....(not to mention trying to get off it in an emergency - although she'd probably rescue me - she was a long distance Olympic swimmer many many many years ago - and she trained in the Mediterranean :eek:)..

anyway, silversea seems to tick all the boxes in terms of number of passengers (small sounds nice to me), passenger space ratio, passenger crew ratio, etc.

my only fear is i'll feel out of place being not exactly the most formal person i know ..

my mom is a much more elegant person than i am.....

resort/elegant/country club casual is about as formal as i ever get.....

so will i feel terribly out of place?

well, i don't usually feel out of place, so the more accurate question is will other people be bothered by my elegant casual attire?

I'm going to be freezing to death there, so i'm sure i'm going to be layered up even inside the ship.

I think that Dress codes generally apply to the Restaurants, and I doubt too many people will be bothered if you are dressed in an elegantly casual fashion. I'm sure you and you're mother will have a wonderful time no matter which ship you choose. I tried to find some more helpful information on both ships but I only came up with some good pictures of the Seven Seas Navigator http://beyondships.com/Regent-Navigator-Profile.html beyondships.com is one of may favorite websites, they have so many good pictures of cruise ships. Interestlingly they have the ship listed a little smaller than the other website I cited.

I think that Dress codes generally apply to the Restaurants, and I doubt too many people will be bothered if you are dressed in an elegantly casual fashion. I'm sure you and you're mother will have a wonderful time no matter which ship you choose. I tried to find some more helpful information on both ships but I only came up with some good pictures of the Seven Seas Navigator http://beyondships.com/Regent-Navigator-Profile.html beyondships.com is one of may favorite websites, they have so many good pictures of cruise ships. Interestlingly they have the ship listed a little smaller than the other website I cited.

At night the dress codes generally apply to most of the public areas of a ship not just dining venues (I was asked to leave a lounge on Shadow and change as I was under dressed and it was past I think the 1800 dress code change).

For me the Shadow was comfortable but for other people sailing with me it granted a few days of seasickness. YMMV. In that area IIRC Navigator used to be an icebreaker and you can feel that - so if the motion of the ocean is an issue Id go SilverSea.

SilverSea was definitely more formal than Regent although neither requires anything near black tie attire. Food on both is a tossup as I found both to be lacking. Service I thought was better on SilverSea. Finally I think the SilverSea tours in Alaska were great (especially the fly in/out crab feed).

We have not been on RSSC and so have no first hand information on it. What we could read on the web, RSSC usually includes all shore excursions in its price, while Silversea does not. So unless you want to follow all the ship's excursions, you may be paying more that you need to on RSSC.

Also all RSSC Alaska sailings (as shown at this moment) are on the Navigator, an older ship in the RSSC fleet, and said by many to have a vibration problem towards the stern of the ship. It was supposed to be a Russian warship keel redeveoped into a cruise ship. Silversea ships are all purpose designed from the beginning, and we found the Shadow/Whisper the best in the Silversea fleet.

anyway, silversea seems to tick all the boxes in terms of number of passengers (small sounds nice to me), passenger space ratio, passenger crew ratio, etc.

my only fear is i'll feel out of place being not exactly the most formal person i know ..

my mom is a much more elegant person than i am.....

resort/elegant/country club casual is about as formal as i ever get.....

so will i feel terribly out of place?

well, i don't usually feel out of place, so the more accurate question is will other people be bothered by my elegant casual attire?

I'm going to be freezing to death there, so i'm sure i'm going to be layered up even inside the ship.

You know, I'd hate it if you were turned off choosing Silversea because of (unfounded, IMO), worries about the dress code.

Yes, they do enforce it. Yes, on Formal nights, some ladies choose to wear a long gown. But many also wear a cocktail dress or dressy pantsuit. As another poster mentioned, you do have options on Formal night if you don't want to wear a cocktail dress. You can even dine in your suite that evening, choose from the restaurant menu or the regular room service menu, and have your butler serve it course by course.

The rest of the time onboard your resort/elegant/country club casual sounds absolutely spot on.

My first ever cruise was on SS. I too was worried about the dress code and the level of formality on board. So before we went on the cruise, I did tons of research. I searched for blogs, traveller pics, and this message board, for pictures of real life people taken during a Silversea cruise. That put my mind at rest.

Take a look at this thread here by Terry. It will give you a feel for how people dress.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923&highlight=terry&page=3

You could also look at this cruise as an opportunity to splurge and buy something more formal so you can accompany your elegantly dressed mother in style. If that is out of the question, you certainly will not feel out of place in dressy black slacks and a sparkly top. Many women opt for that.

Need to consider what type and where the lectures/commentaries are. We have not been on Silverseas but last summer on the Navigator I was pleased that we could stay on our balconey and listen to commentary when we went to the glaciers. does the itinerary goes from north to south or the other way. One recommendation I had (and i used it) was to start up north because that is where the most exciting scenery is.

i think they have north to south and south to north..

i'm thinking of going from north to south..

Go for it !

One thing that hasn't been mentioned -- IMO every American should see Alaska -- the last frontier -- magnificently beautiful scenery -- proud people. I've been 4 times (3 on Silversea, once on another line before we discovered Silversea in 1996) and each time has been wonderful.

And what a nice thing to do for your mother.....:)

it will be a different sort of trip with my mom....we won't do any excursions that require a lot of walking..

but from what i've seen of alaska in pictures, i think it will be a spectacular trip just sitting and looking at the view!!

thanks for the link!!

At night the dress codes generally apply to most of the public areas of a ship not just dining venues (I was asked to leave a lounge on Shadow and change as I was under dressed and it was past I think the 1800 dress code change).

For me the Shadow was comfortable but for other people sailing with me it granted a few days of seasickness. YMMV. In that area IIRC Navigator used to be an icebreaker and you can feel that - so if the motion of the ocean is an issue Id go SilverSea.

SilverSea was definitely more formal than Regent although neither requires anything near black tie attire. Food on both is a tossup as I found both to be lacking. Service I thought was better on SilverSea. Finally I think the SilverSea tours in Alaska were great (especially the fly in/out crab feed).

service is more important to me than food, so it's important to know that you thought the service was better. as long as it doesn't require black tie, i'm probably good to go......

We have not been on RSSC and so have no first hand information on it. What we could read on the web, RSSC usually includes all shore excursions in its price, while Silversea does not. So unless you want to follow all the ship's excursions, you may be paying more that you need to on RSSC.

Also all RSSC Alaska sailings (as shown at this moment) are on the Navigator, an older ship in the RSSC fleet, and said by many to have a vibration problem towards the stern of the ship. It was supposed to be a Russian warship keel redeveoped into a cruise ship. Silversea ships are all purpose designed from the beginning, and we found the Shadow/Whisper the best in the Silversea fleet.

yes, RSSC includes some excursions - but the really good excursions cost extra anyway, so it's not as all inclusive as they claim...

in any case, given the cost of the cruise itself, the cost of excursions is marginal....:)

You know, I'd hate it if you were turned off choosing Silversea because of (unfounded, IMO), worries about the dress code.

Yes, they do enforce it. Yes, on Formal nights, some ladies choose to wear a long gown. But many also wear a cocktail dress or dressy pantsuit. As another poster mentioned, you do have options on Formal night if you don't want to wear a cocktail dress. You can even dine in your suite that evening, choose from the restaurant menu or the regular room service menu, and have your butler serve it course by course.

The rest of the time onboard your resort/elegant/country club casual sounds absolutely spot on.

My first ever cruise was on SS. I too was worried about the dress code and the level of formality on board. So before we went on the cruise, I did tons of research. I searched for blogs, traveller pics, and this message board, for pictures of real life people taken during a Silversea cruise. That put my mind at rest.

Take a look at this thread here by Terry. It will give you a feel for how people dress.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923&highlight=terry&page=3

thanks for the link to that trip report!! i've only read the first few pages so far, but it's a wonderful report with great pictures!!!!

and now i see that at least the every day attire isn't a problem for me at all (in fact, i think i might be a little too dressy ;) )...

really, thanks for that link....i feel much better about the dress code issue!!!!.. :)

You could also look at this cruise as an opportunity to splurge and buy something more formal so you can accompany your elegantly dressed mother in style. If that is out of the question, you certainly will not feel out of place in dressy black slacks and a sparkly top. Many women opt for that.

actually, i do have a few things - i'm just not a floor length person..i'm more the suit sort of person....i have some fancy suits...i could always bring the one i had made for my daughter's wedding...it's appropriately sparkly.. (i didn't even go floor length at my kid's weddings... :eek:)...

thanks all for the responses!! after looking at Terry's trip report and reading your responses, i see i have absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of dress.

and I do think that a smaller ship would be better for my mom.

Until i started this thread, i hadn't thought about how difficult it might be for her to get around those huge ships.

Not that she can't walk - we go out walking every day (on the beach - eat your hearts out all of you in the winter snow)...

she does manage about a half kilometer broken up before and after coffee, but i think the big ships (like RCCL/Celebrity) would be too much for her...

and with all those people....2,000 people...just way too many for her and for me!!

and based on the responses here, i think that silversea is the better choice as well!

so thank you everyone for all your help!!! :)

I enjoy both lines dependent on my needs and destination.

But in this instance and with the destination being Alaska, you may want to search this out on the RSSC board very carefully.

You will discover over the past 2 years Alaska seasons the Regent board has been none to kind re the amount of children on board.

This issue caused some quite heated discussion with many vowing not to cruise Regent during these times.

Regent heavily targets family's for these cruises and adds childrens programes that are not normally on other cruises.

There were stories reported of in excess of 150 children which caused many to lose the enjoyment of there cruise.

There are many other destinations l have no problems with Regent.

But if large numbers of children would be an issue to you then Regent may not be to your liking.

SS also allows children, but does not market directly to familys, has no childrens programes and seems from all the lux lines to have the least problems when it comes to large groups of kids on board. I would place Seabourn in this same catagory with SS.

The reports on the Regent board are certainly worth reading.

We sail mostly on Regent but have sailed on Silversea twice with an Alaska cruise booked next year. As mentioned, the ships are about the same size with 50 or so more suites on the Navigator. I also agree that there are too many children on the mid-June - mid-August sailings on Regent.

The Navigator is a beautiful ship and will go through a major refurbishment in May, 2012, so, the furnishings, etc. will be like new for Alaska season this summer.

The suites are really equal. The fact that the Shadow has double sinks does not really mean much unless two of you are in the bathroom at the same time. However, if you are going for a Silver Suite on the Shadow, the bathroom is wonderful.

The areas where I find the biggest difference are:

1. Regent is non-smoking in all suites and balconies. Silversea allows smoking in suites.

2. Regent includes many excursions in Alaska where the price of excursions are very high.

3. It seems like we have to dress up every other day on Silversea. If you post that you prefer being less formal, you are flamed on the Silversea board. Passengers on Silversea are very set in their ways. Regent is a much more relaxed atmosphere.

As with most things in life, there are pluses and minuses with both cruise lines. You could have a wonderful time on either.

We get around the children issue by sailing to Alaska in May -- before children get out of school. Another alternative is a late August sailing.

Whatever choice you make, have a wonderful cruise.:)

I enjoy both lines dependent on my needs and destination.

But in this instance and with the destination being Alaska, you may want to search this out on the RSSC board very carefully.

You will discover over the past 2 years Alaska seasons the Regent board has been none to kind re the amount of children on board.

This issue caused some quite heated discussion with many vowing not to cruise Regent during these times.

Regent heavily targets family's for these cruises and adds childrens programes that are not normally on other cruises.

There were stories reported of in excess of 150 children which caused many to lose the enjoyment of there cruise.

There are many other destinations l have no problems with Regent.

But if large numbers of children would be an issue to you then Regent may not be to your liking.

SS also allows children, but does not market directly to familys, has no childrens programes and seems from all the lux lines to have the least problems when it comes to large groups of kids on board. I would place Seabourn in this same catagory with SS.

The reports on the Regent board are certainly worth reading.

Seabourne would probably be my first choice, however, they don't have an alaska cruise this year. They will again in 2013, but that's not in the running right now. From what i understand, Seabourne tends to be more relaxed than Silversea, and that's clearly my preference. So despite its connection with Carnival (i prefer to avoid any cruise line associated with carnival), i would probably choose them, all other things being equal.

but i don't think my mom can wait for 2013, so seabourne is out.

thank you for mentioning the children issue.

i hadn't considered the possibility that there would be a lot of kids on board.

I thought the average age of the luxury cruise lines was much higher than on the mass market ships.

i would definitely find 150 kids on a small ship irritating.

Parents tend to let their children run wild on ships (not to mention on land). I really have a problem with that. Somehow the word "no" seems to have left the parenting vocabulary. (no flaming please)

so i guess that alone would knock regent out of the running.

Archived