Silversea vs Regent Seven Seas - Alaska

alaska_planner

We sail mostly on Regent but have sailed on Silversea twice with an Alaska cruise booked next year. As mentioned, the ships are about the same size with 50 or so more suites on the Navigator. I also agree that there are too many children on the mid-June - mid-August sailings on Regent.

The Navigator is a beautiful ship and will go through a major refurbishment in May, 2012, so, the furnishings, etc. will be like new for Alaska season this summer.

The suites are really equal. The fact that the Shadow has double sinks does not really mean much unless two of you are in the bathroom at the same time. However, if you are going for a Silver Suite on the Shadow, the bathroom is wonderful.

The areas where I find the biggest difference are:

1. Regent is non-smoking in all suites and balconies. Silversea allows smoking in suites.

2. Regent includes many excursions in Alaska where the price of excursions are very high.

3. It seems like we have to dress up every other day on Silversea. If you post that you prefer being less formal, you are flamed on the Silversea board. Passengers on Silversea are very set in their ways. Regent is a much more relaxed atmosphere.

As with most things in life, there are pluses and minuses with both cruise lines. You could have a wonderful time on either.

We get around the children issue by sailing to Alaska in May -- before children get out of school. Another alternative is a late August sailing.

Whatever choice you make, have a wonderful cruise.:)

thanks for mentioning smoking - how is it that i forgot to check that????

my mother had part of her lung removed last year, so smoke in the air isn't the best for her...

i suppose that if silversea permits smoking in cabins, it would have a tendency to bleed from cabin to cabin....not a good situation...

and i wonder if the staterooms smell.....is it possible to ever completely remove the smell of smoke from a stateroom that has been smoked in?

regarding cruising in May - not the best choice, since i would like to be there during salmon season....

i know that's not may - but i'm not sure about late august....i have to look into that..

I would not worry about second hand smoke on the Shadow. I don't know how they do it, but we've seldom smelled any smoke on any of the SS ships. When Regent was a smoking line we never did on there either.

With all due respect, you may not smell smoke because you smoke. As I recall, you were still being permitted to smoke on your balcony after the smoking ban on balconies went into effect. Do you know if you can still smoke on your balcony in spite of the rule? I've read that this policy is not strictly enforced.

I truly am not trying to flame you. When someone has had a lung removed, it is really important to know the facts prior to boarding a cruise ship. When we were on the Whisper, we noticed smoke in the hallways occasionally -- probably wafting out from the suites. "The Bar" allows smoking in one section. It was okay about 50% of the time in the evening but the smoke got a bit heavy on the non-smoking side a few times. Obviously we are still willing to sail on Silversea and are not overly bothered by smoke. . . . but, I did not have a lung removed and am a former smoker.

With all due respect, you may not smell smoke because you smoke. As I recall, you were still being permitted to smoke on your balcony after the smoking ban on balconies went into effect. Do you know if you can still smoke on your balcony in spite of the rule? I've read that this policy is not strictly enforced.

I truly am not trying to flame you. When someone has had a lung removed, it is really important to know the facts prior to boarding a cruise ship. When we were on the Whisper, we noticed smoke in the hallways occasionally -- probably wafting out from the suites. "The Bar" allows smoking in one section. It was okay about 50% of the time in the evening but the smoke got a bit heavy on the non-smoking side a few times. Obviously we are still willing to sail on Silversea and are not overly bothered by smoke. . . . but, I did not have a lung removed and am a former smoker.

what is the smoking policy in the public spaces?

the last ship we were on had smoking on the starboard side of open deck areas and also had smoking areas in all the bars/lounges..

the decks were fine, but the bars became pretty much off limits for us (we hate smoke) - the smoke always found its way into the non-smoking area....

but the rest of the ship was fine...

what is the smoking policy in the public spaces?

the last ship we were on had smoking on the starboard side of open deck areas and also had smoking areas in all the bars/lounges..

the decks were fine, but the bars became pretty much off limits for us (we hate smoke) - the smoke always found its way into the non-smoking area....

but the rest of the ship was fine...

Here is the smoking policy from the Silversea website:

What is Silversea’s smoking policy?

At Silversea, the comfort, enjoyment and safety of all guests is paramount. Most areas on board are non-smoking, however there are certain areas where cigarette smoking is permitted: specifically designated tables in some bars and lounges and specifically designated outside areas on the open deck. Cigar and pipe smoking are only permitted in the Connoisseur’s Corner and in specifically designated outside areas on open Decks 9 and 10 aboard Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper and Silver Spirit, and open Deck 9 aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Wind. As a safety precaution, smoking is not permitted on any guest suite veranda. Silversea kindly requests that all guests observe the non-smoking areas.

If you check the SS website, it will inform you of the Smoking Policy. Have you looked into Oceania? They are non-smoking everywhete except for some areas outside. However, they are not completely

all-imclusive. So check their website carefully. Enjoy! Planning is half the fun. Hope your Mom is OK and enjoys her cruise on whatever line you choose.

The only time we've smelt smoke on a Silversea ship (well, other than the bar or walking past smokers on the pool deck) is when we had dinner at Champagne.

Why they put a connecting door between the Humidor and the Champagne restaurant is completely beyond me.

There was a couple who smoked between courses. Every time they opened the connecting door, Champagne diners were treated to the waft of cigar, pipe and tobacco smoke. Luckily it didn't affect us too badly as we were not seated near the door.

Epic fail on Silversea's part.

Here is the smoking policy from the Silversea website:

What is Silversea’s smoking policy?

At Silversea, the comfort, enjoyment and safety of all guests is paramount. Most areas on board are non-smoking, however there are certain areas where cigarette smoking is permitted: specifically designated tables in some bars and lounges and specifically designated outside areas on the open deck. Cigar and pipe smoking are only permitted in the Connoisseur’s Corner and in specifically designated outside areas on open Decks 9 and 10 aboard Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper and Silver Spirit, and open Deck 9 aboard Silver Cloud and Silver Wind. As a safety precaution, smoking is not permitted on any guest suite veranda. Silversea kindly requests that all guests observe the non-smoking areas.

yes, i saw that, but i don't understand it. My understanding of it is that smoking is NOT permitted in staterooms, since it doesn't specifically say that it is permitted in staterooms.

On the other hand, it doesn't specifically say that it's not permitted in staterooms, whereas it does specify that it's not permitted on verandahs.

It really isn't very clear at all. I sent an email to silversea asking whether smoking is permitted in staterooms or not. But it's the weekend so i haven't heard back as yet.

If you check the SS website, it will inform you of the Smoking Policy. Have you looked into Oceania? They are non-smoking everywhete except for some areas outside. However, they are not completely all-imclusive. So check their website carefully. Enjoy! Planning is half the fun. Hope your Mom is OK and enjoys her cruise on whatever line you choose.

i did look into Oceania, and crystal and seabourne and a few others. None have cruises to alaska this year. I even considered hapag-lloyd, but their cruise is 16 days long. It sounds amazing, but my mom is definitely not their target market.

thanks for the good wishes!! :)

The only time we've smelt smoke on a Silversea ship (well, other than the bar or walking past smokers on the pool deck) is when we had dinner at Champagne.

Why they put a connecting door between the Humidor and the Champagne restaurant is completely beyond me.

There was a couple who smoked between courses. Every time they opened the connecting door, Champagne diners were treated to the waft of cigar, pipe and tobacco smoke. Luckily it didn't affect us too badly as we were not seated near the door.

Epic fail on Silversea's part.

cigars!! we just had lunch in an outdoor cafe and a man lit up a cigar at the table right next to us!! He had every right to, we were outside after all. But don't they realize how vile the rest of us find the smell? oh well. He seemed pretty darn happy with himself. We were able to move to another table. We could still smell it, but it wasn't too bad.

Is it just me, or does it seem to you that more men are smoking cigars these days?

so basically i see the choice this way:

silversea:

-- more formal than regent (advantage regent)

-- a bit more lenient smoking policy (advantage regent)

-- fewer children than on regent (advantage silversea)

-- nicer ship (advantage silversea)

-- fewer passengers (advantage silversea)

-- basically the same itinerary (and probably the same excursions, whether it's included in the price or not, just about all the cruise lines have the same excursions in alaska - there's just so much you can do in those ports)

so looking at it that way, i think the choice is clear :)

so basically i see the choice this way:

silversea:

-- more formal than regent (advantage regent)

-- a bit more lenient smoking policy (advantage regent)

-- fewer children than on regent (advantage silversea)

-- nicer ship (advantage silversea)

-- fewer passengers (advantage silversea)

-- basically the same itinerary (and probably the same excursions, whether it's included in the price or not, just about all the cruise lines have the same excursions in alaska - there's just so much you can do in those ports)

so looking at it that way, i think the choice is clear :)

Alaska planner I would agree with all except "more formal" than Regent.

I think the correct word may be more "elegant" -- and I think you will enjoy that.

Tried to use the bar before dinner on a recent Shadow cruise but it seemed, no matter how early one arrived, the non smoking side was always full! Resorted to the Panorama Lounge every evening. Strangely enough, the only real problem with smoke arose on the pool deck when the only empty table was near a lady who smoked incessantly during her meal and was, unfortunately, upwind of us.

I think the correct word may be more "elegant" -- and I think you will enjoy that.

I find Silversea to be a completely different cultural experience than Regent. IMO, it is not more or less elegant. Silversea is much more international than Regent. Many parts of the world dress up more than in the United States. When we sail on Regent, most people from the U.S. dress "Elegant Casual" while people from the U.K. and Australia (the largest non-American population on most Regent cruises) wear suits and ties -- or, at the least, a sports jacket. There isn't any better or worse here. . . . just differences.

Yes -- I do find Silversea stuffy and pretentious. However, it is certainly easy for us to dress and act the part. Wes' comment is strange. He makes it very clear that he prefers Regent to Silversea on the Regent board. Then he posts here and agrees that Silversea is more elegant. Go figure:eek:

Sad that based on your two cruises on Silversea you found it stuffy and pretentious. I will be embarking on my 36th Silversea cruise on the Cloud at the end of this month and have never found it so.

I cannot tolerate cigarette smoke so I find Silversea's smoking policy its biggest negative. I am very sensitive to the smell of cigarettes. I sit around the corner starboard side in The Bar to avoid even the faintest smell of cigarette smoke coming from the port side/smoking area. It is so offensive.

I agree with dusababy and Col. Wes. SS is definitely "elegant". Formal, to me, is stuffy and pretentious. SS is not that! Although I have seen some PAX act like that and find them amusing.;)

I love the sound of people laughing! I have been on 5 voyages now with Silversea and I have to say, I rarely hear people laughing. Yes, there is a titter here or there, but no loud raucous laughing, the kind of laughter that brings joy to your heart.

I love the SS brand, but I think many of the guests ARE "stuffy and pretentious". I am going to try Regent next after reading here that their demographic is more relaxed.

I can tell you that the reason Wes prefers Regent( Voyager for the most part ) to SS is that he doesn't like the gym setup in the spa area on the Silver Spirit( hasn't been on the others I don't believe ) and he doesn't like the running track or the swimming pool availability on Silver Spirit. I believe he prefers the social environment on SS to Regent. You have to remember that Wes is a real exercise nut and more power to him for it.

i might enjoy it, but it's definitely not a reason to rule silversea out! :)

Tried to use the bar before dinner on a recent Shadow cruise but it seemed, no matter how early one arrived, the non smoking side was always full! Resorted to the Panorama Lounge every evening. Strangely enough, the only real problem with smoke arose on the pool deck when the only empty table was near a lady who smoked incessantly during her meal and was, unfortunately, upwind of us.

how frustrating!! But it's good to know there was a place available without smoke.

I find Silversea to be a completely different cultural experience than Regent. IMO, it is not more or less elegant. Silversea is much more international than Regent. Many parts of the world dress up more than in the United States. When we sail on Regent, most people from the U.S. dress "Elegant Casual" while people from the U.K. and Australia (the largest non-American population on most Regent cruises) wear suits and ties -- or, at the least, a sports jacket. There isn't any better or worse here. . . . just differences.

i don't live in the US, so i'm familiar with the differences in dress.

I'm used to continental attire, which isn't really jacket and tie, but definitely elegant. dashing might be a good word to describe the men and 'put together' a description of the women. (definitely no shorts in sight).

unfortunately, i tend towards the much more relaxed (probably a kind way to put it :eek: ).

But it's fine. I can deal with it. My mom will enjoy it.

+1 (agree) with you Mary Ann tho we enjoy sailing both Regent and Silversea.

i hope to have the chance to try both cruise lines!! :)

I agree with dusababy and Col. Wes. SS is definitely "elegant". Formal, to me, is stuffy and pretentious. SS is not that! Although I have seen some PAX act like that and find them amusing.;)

good to hear that most of the passengers aren't stuffy/pretentious!

Sad that based on your two cruises on Silversea you found it stuffy and pretentious. I will be embarking on my 36th Silversea cruise on the Cloud at the end of this month and have never found it so.

glad to hear it's not! i was worried that it might be. :)

I cannot tolerate cigarette smoke so I find Silversea's smoking policy its biggest negative. I am very sensitive to the smell of cigarettes. I sit around the corner starboard side in The Bar to avoid even the faintest smell of cigarette smoke coming from the port side/smoking area. It is so offensive.

is there any place to relax in the evening other than in the bar?

we don't drink at all, so we'd be more interested in relaxing with a nice cup of tea or coffee...

is there any place like that on the ship? is it smoke free? or at least with a non-smoking area?

I love the sound of people laughing! I have been on 5 voyages now with Silversea and I have to say, I rarely hear people laughing. Yes, there is a titter here or there, but no loud raucous laughing, the kind of laughter that brings joy to your heart.

I love the SS brand, but I think many of the guests ARE "stuffy and pretentious". I am going to try Regent next after reading here that their demographic is more relaxed.

come on the cruise with us!!! - we LOVE to LAUGH (loud and long and clear....we love to laugh....so everybody can hear----i hope you're a fan of mary poppins ;) )

I can tell you that the reason Wes prefers Regent( Voyager for the most part ) to SS is that he doesn't like the gym setup in the spa area on the Silver Spirit( hasn't been on the others I don't believe ) and he doesn't like the running track or the swimming pool availability on Silver Spirit. I believe he prefers the social environment on SS to Regent. You have to remember that Wes is a real exercise nut and more power to him for it.

this will be on the silver shadow, but none of those would be dealbreakers for my mom :) (they might be for me, if i were considering a longer cruise with lots of sea days).

alaska planner, I have read this whole thread from the beginning on BOTH places where you have posted. Am a long time cruiser on Regent, but I have been on the Shadow (and Whisper) as well. I think, after what you have posted for your preferences, etc. for you and your mother, you have made the right choice. She sounds like a grand lady, who doesn't mind dressing for dinner, and it seems it won't bother you, so no problems (I don't even know if they keep this dress code in Alaska). Take her and enjoy!!! Believe me, Silversea is not stodgy, formal, stuffy, whatsoever from my experience, so long as you just reach out a little bit.

alaska planner, I have read this whole thread from the beginning on BOTH places where you have posted. Am a long time cruiser on Regent, but I have been on the Shadow (and Whisper) as well. I think, after what you have posted for your preferences, etc. for you and your mother, you have made the right choice. She sounds like a grand lady, who doesn't mind dressing for dinner, and it seems it won't bother you, so no problems (I don't even know if they keep this dress code in Alaska). Take her and enjoy!!! Believe me, Silversea is not stodgy, formal, stuffy, whatsoever from my experience, so long as you just reach out a little bit.

thanks!!!! :)

Archived