Egypt & Israel ??

BillPizzaiolo

Eek! We are scheduled to be there in May (Egypt and Israel) and they haven't cancelled any ports as of yet and Haifa is uncomfortably close to Syria. The U.S. travel warning says:

The security situation in most tourist centers, including Luxor, Aswan, and the Red Sea Resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh, continues to be calm. This Travel Alert supersedes the Travel Alert dated April 28, 2011 and updates information on the security situation and upcoming elections. This Travel Alert expires on April 1, 2012.

We just heard from our TA and on our Nov 15 Istanbul to Dubai cruise, Port Said and Sharm El Sheikh have been eliminated. The reason cited was lack of interest in booking for these ports ( I read it as "safety is a concern" for both passengers and the cruise line).

Instead we have an extra night in Haifa and in Aqaba. Jerusalem and Luxor remained unchanged. As we have been to the Pyramids more than once, it's OK with us.

I wonder how they came up with "lack of interest in booking these ports" since passengers cannot book excursions this early.

We were on this cruise until very recently and I don't remember getting any survey about the cruise ports.

I presume they mean few are booking the cruise as originally stated so it will be interesting to see of bookings pick up now.

Interesting problem as they have to get the ship to Asia even if it sails almost empty through the Red Sea.

We bailed out yesterday and 4 other couples that were going to share some private tours with us also changed their cruise plans that I know of now. I reckon that we are not the only ones. It is a shame that area of the world needs all the commerce they can get.

I wonder how they came up with "lack of interest in booking these ports" since passengers cannot book excursions this early.

We were on this cruise until very recently and I don't remember getting any survey about the cruise ports.

I presume they mean few are booking the cruise as originally stated so it will be interesting to see of bookings pick up now.

Interesting problem as they have to get the ship to Asia even if it sails almost empty through the Red Sea.

I think I did not make myself clear enough.

There apparently was lack of interest in booking these CRUISES (not excursions) with the itineraries that included Cairo, etc.

We are still on unless there are more changes.

Contacted our travel agent who then contacted Oceania today and was told Egypt is still a go and they have not changed any ports . TA did say that since I got a very good deal the new trips will be posted shortly and I could look to see if I wanted to transfer otherwise my good deals would be lost if I cancelled. Will make decision before final deposit. Do not want any more Greek islands. Have done many and don't want any other ones. Wonder why some dates have cancelled Egypt already and others have not

• 4 weeks later...

We took the Israel/Egypt trip last summer. Egypt and Syria were both cancelled and replaced with not-very-interesting ports. Because of the changed itinerary, the ship was only about half full. We met one family that flew into Cairo and spent time there before the cruise, so as not to miss it. We know of another family that stayed at an Athens hotel after the cruise and had to deal with tear gas in front of their hotel. Granted, last summer was the beginning of all the ruckus. I think this summer, again, the cruise lines are hoping for the best, but preparing for the worse. As cruisers, it should be the same.

We were actually lucky, in that the spring cruise last year with the same itinerary didn't cancel Egypt & Syria until two weeks before the cruise, so the guests were unable to cancel as easily.

Archived