Egypt & Israel ??

BillPizzaiolo

Does anyone know for sure whether ports in Egypt and Israel will or will not be on this year's itinerary? I know that there was some discussion of this in the past suggesting alternative ports. Where can one find out for sure?

Bill:confused::confused::confused:

We were booked on the November 2012 cruise from Istanbul to Dubai but with everything going on in Israel, Syria, Egypt, Iran, etc we have reluctantly canceled our cabin and chosen to go elsewhere.

We really wanted to do the cruise as it was perfect for our needs but we feared ports would be cancelled or that we would not enjoy them due to looking over our shoulder constantly.

So far none have officially been canceled but November is a few months out. It is a shame as I am sure the locals could use the income and we have waited years to see the pyramids, etc.

Well, maybe the year after.

Ed & Frank,

I am sorry to hear that you have cancelled. We are on this cruise and we were looking forward to meeting you - both as fellow Bay Area CC members as well as someone whose posts I enjoy reading.

We will wait till final payment to decide but we hope it will remain as is.

Paul

Ed & Frank,

I am sorry to hear that you have cancelled. We are on this cruise and we were looking forward to meeting you - both as fellow Bay Area CC members as well as someone whose posts I enjoy reading.

We will wait till final payment to decide but we hope it will remain as is.

Paul

The feeling is mutual.

We debated long and hard before making the decision. I was fairly comfortable going but Frank had strong concerns and we both have to agree or the trip isn't fun.

We have booked the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise in Feb 2013 as we have always wanted to see that area also

A small part of me hopes you have a lousy cruise with missed ports so our decision is justified but the larger part by far hopes it is a great and safe cruise so Oceania does it again in the future when the regions is calmer, if that ever happens. Also we are on the same ship three cruises later so we want it to arrive in good shape and on time.:D

Actually they don't have much of a choice each year if they need to move the ship from the Med to SE Asia. It is a long way around Africa.

Perhaps we will meet on a future cruise.

For those of you booked on the Nov 2012 cruise that touches Egypt and Israel, keep an eye out on the July 19 Riviera cruise that touches those ports too. If the July cruise goes there, November is on track (subject to changes, of course). The good news is that the July cruise visits Egypt and Israel before the final payment is due for the November cruise.

We are on the September Barcelona to Istanbul cruise on the Marina that has 2 days in both Egypt and Israel. If they do cancel ports do they typically replace them with other ports, say a couple of greek islands, or more stops in Turkey, or do they just become sea days?

Anyone recall what happened last year?

We are on the September Barcelona to Istanbul cruise on the Marina that has 2 days in both Egypt and Israel. If they do cancel ports do they typically replace them with other ports, say a couple of greek islands, or more stops in Turkey, or do they just become sea days?

Anyone recall what happened last year?

They usually replace them with others ports - such as you mentioned ( depending on availability of berths, etc).

If you are going specifically for the ports in Egypt and/or Israel I would think hard and long before booking since they could be replaced with ports much less interesting. If you don't care then go ahead and take your chances. I am usually very comfortable going anywhere and do not worry about what could or might happen but nowadays I wouldn't go anywhere near Egypt. jmo.

We were on the Istanbul-Athens cruise in September. This cruise originally had two days in Egypt which had already been cancelled before we booked the cruise. We had been to Egypt (pre the current situation) and booked mainly for the three days in Israel which we did get to do. The ports substituted for Egypt were Patmos and Volos, Greece. That doesn't necessarily mean that's what will happen if ports are cancelled on your cruise. Hope you get to sail your original itinerary, but I agree with Wripro. If your going primarily for Egypt and Israel, you might be better off on a land trip.

Riverroad,

I was not speaking about myself, rather about the OP who asked about possible port changes. I have toured both Egypt and Israel by land extensively but as I said I would stay away from Egypt for the moment no matter the means of transportation.

Wripro,

I was also responding to the OP and stating what happened on our cruise in regard to substitute ports. I was also agreeing with your suggestion of not booking if the primary purpose is to visit Egypt and/or Israel. It's just too iffy now. I am so grateful that we visited Egypt when we did.

We were on the Istanbul-Athens cruise in September. This cruise originally had two days in Egypt which had already been cancelled before we booked the cruise. We had been to Egypt (pre the current situation) and booked mainly for the three days in Israel which we did get to do. The ports substituted for Egypt were Patmos and Volos, Greece. That doesn't necessarily mean that's what will happen if ports are cancelled on your cruise. Hope you get to sail your original itinerary, but I agree with Wripro. If your going primarily for Egypt and Israel, you might be better off on a land trip.

How did you find out the ports were changed? The official website for Ociania Cruises still list the Egypt ports of call for for September and October. The private tours are confident that things will be back to normal after the Presidential elections in Egypt.

How did you find out the ports were changed? The official website for Ociania Cruises still list the Egypt ports of call for for September and October. The private tours are confident that things will be back to normal after the Presidential elections in Egypt.

September and October are quite a ways out. There's no reason for Oceania to do anything other than keep the itineraries the way they are. However, I suspect the reality is somewhat different. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that, behind the scenes, the folks who make port arrangements are working hard to establish contingency plans.

What would you expect the private tour operators to say except make positive remarks?

What Oceania and any other cruise line should do morally imo is to decide on those contingency plans before final payment, not after, so that those to whom these ports are important have the option of changing their plans.

I don't think that the "plan" is ever to change a port unless circumstances warrant it, but lets face it, Northern Africa is a hotbed at the moment.

If you get as far as final payment, and the cruise is still sailing there, it will be a miracle.

The positive part of this story is that both Egyptian and Israeli Tour Operators are so hungry that you can make all kinds of plans without risking a penny upfront.

It's like Mel Brooks says, "Hope for the Best, Expect the Worst".

We booked our September 2011 cruise after the ports in Egypt had been cancelled. The ports were changed prior to final payment so people cancelled their bookings. As a result, the cruise price was reduced significantly which was an incentive for us to book. As I've already mentioned, the three days in Israel remained on the itinerary.

As has been already stated, why would the private tour operators tell you anything different? Even if things go back to "normal" in Egypt, they have no control over any itinerary changes Oceania may make.

JimandStan,

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to anticipate that there will be problems in that region for some time to come. Of course, they can maintain that they hope to go there until the last minute. If I wanted to keep bookings I would do the same. But deep down I think we all know that they already have contingency plans for those cruises.

Sometimes when we travel the unexpected or unknown situations have provided the best experiences for us. We are aware of the chances we take in life pay the biggest dividends. Getting away, just changing cultures and places are rewards for us. We are looking forward to meeting new folks in new places with old friends and new ones. The only downside to this cruise is missing the fall colors and activities. No big deal, can enjoy the new stuff instead.

Bill Pizzaiolo and Jerzeetomata

Last April we did a similar cruise (30 days Dubai to Athens). When the problems started in the Egypt, etc., Oceania gave us a contingency itinerary. In theory it was "if we cannot go here, we'll go there." As it turned out, the only port we actually missed was Port Said. We went to Luxor, Petra, Israel and had no problems whatsoever. In fact in Luxor, we were the only passengers from any cruise ship. Oceania is not going to put its passengers, its crew or its ship in harm's way. There is always opportunity to cancel prior to final payment. We didn't, and we had a fabulous time. We even had two US destroyers in our convoy going thru the Suez Canal which made us feel very safe. Going on any cruise or land vacation has its perils. We take our chances wherever we go. We choose what to do and where to go, which is a very good thing. Again, Oceania may cancel ports, but it is in our best interests. If anyone needs tour guides, just let me know. Arlene;) tanny5258@att.net

The entire region from Athens, Syria, Israel, Egypt and Iran are a huge powder keg with sanctions, demonstrations, attacks and a threat of war, would keep me out of the entire region for then next few years. The entire Gulf and eastern med are to me a no go area.

Westerners, are being arrested just for being there. For the same reasons I would not plan a vacation in Damascus or Kabul, I would watch and wait for now. You have the rest of your life, make it last a long time.

Ship lines will be told by their insurance carriers what to do long before any government does.

We just got notification this afternoon both from our TA and also Oceania that the itinerary for our Oct. 22 Marina Temples & Palaces cruise has had the Egypt ports of Alexandria and Port Said replaced with Patmos and an additional day in Israel. We were originally scheduled on the cancelled Riviera April 24 maiden that went to Egypt---and now this. Very sad since this will probably be a deal breaker for us.

We just heard from our TA and on our Nov 15 Istanbul to Dubai cruise, Port Said and Sharm El Sheikh have been eliminated. The reason cited was lack of interest in booking for these ports ( I read it as "safety is a concern" for both passengers and the cruise line).

Instead we have an extra night in Haifa and in Aqaba. Jerusalem and Luxor remained unchanged. As we have been to the Pyramids more than once, it's OK with us.

Archived