Question about door locks on Eclipse

kampinguru

I noticed that when we got into our room, there was a deadbolt lock on our stateroom door. We assumed that when the deadbolt is on from the inside, that someone cant come in from the hall. Boy was I wrong. Did anyone else notice this on their rooms or was my deadbolt lock broken.

I noticed that when we got into our room, there was a deadbolt lock on our stateroom door. We assumed that when the deadbolt is on from the inside, that someone cant come in from the hall. Boy was I wrong. Did anyone else notice this on their rooms or was my deadbolt lock broken.

Wow! so there is no purpose for this deadbolt other than show??? Makes me wonder if the safe is just as secure....

Wow! so there is no purpose for this deadbolt other than show??? Makes me wonder if the safe is just as secure....

Of course the staff can open your safe. They have to be able to do that for situations where people forget their codes, and where people do not remember to open and empty their safes when they disembark. I would not consider anything in the cabin, including the safe, 100% secure. That said, there is a very, very small risk to the staff pilfering things from either the safe or your room. They really need their jobs and I'm sure would not keep them long if stuff started disappearing from the staterooms they service. This is really no different than staying at a hotel on land. Safes put up barriers to the casual thief, but anyone who really wanted to get in there could find a way.

That dead bolt lock when turned and active will lock out your own key. So if you want to take a shower and turn the knob, your kids who may still be outside cannot enter the room. Staff can over ride the deadbolt lock. Generally, the cabin attended won't enter with the deadbolt in place. I use a Privacy tag if I want to assure privacy from the cabin attendant. One time I left the tag on and went to shore.We got back at 3 and our room has never been cleaned. So they generally abide by the tag.

Obviously they have to get into a room and the safe in an emergency situation. Access to the safe requires someone from security to come to your room to open it, a cabin attendant can not open the safe.

If the OP is corect, then I am quite surprised that a cabin attendant's key would override the deadbolt....it should require someone from security to override. If any cabin attendant's key card overrides the deadbolt, then that's a significant privacy issue that should be changed by Celebrity.

Obviously they have to get into a room and the safe in an emergency situation. Access to the safe requires someone from security to come to your room to open it, a cabin attendant can not open the safe.

If the OP is corect, then I am quite surprised that a cabin attendant's key would override the deadbolt....it should require someone from security to override. If any cabin attendant's key card overrides the deadbolt, then that's a significant privacy issue that should be changed by Celebrity.

I think you are correct about the safe - I don't think the cabin attendants themselves can open.

I think you are not correct about the cabin attendants. I am pretty sure they can still open the door. At most, they may require their supervisor's key, but I don't think they need to contact Security to open the locked door. Does anyone out there know for sure??

On solstice. My room steward informed us that his system was to lock the deadbolt when ever we were in the room. He would never enter in that case. Otherwise he seemed to just walk right on in without knocking if it was not! Kinda surprised by that. Worked out well for us, but there must be some who would not have liked that one bit.

The safes are not really that secure, they are more of a deterrent. They are the same type of safes in hotels and hotels suggest you keep valuables in their vaults. Infact some hotels will not insure your items unless it is in the vaults and not the safes.

Having said that the opportunist will have to remove the safe which is bolted down, and repeatedly pick it up and slam it against a concrete floor to open it.

They are better than hiding your valuables in your room but are not what I would call insurance approved.

We use the deadbolt as a polite but firm "So Not Disturb" signal. Celebrity stateroom attendants are superb but some of them are so polite and gentle that afternoon fruit and pre-dinner nibbles delivery involves such a soft knock that we don't hear them until--yikes!!-it's too late and they sweep into the room.

After transforming our stateroom into a flurry of flying sheets and pillows (modesty isn't always a delicate operation) whilst observing said attendant graciously yet quickly retreat, we subsequently learned the fine art of deadbolt etiquette.

Happy Cruising,

Alan

So then my lock must have been broken as I could put it on and my card would open it from the outside. We tested it with my wife inside and the deadbolt on and when I put my card in, the door opened. I walked in on my daughter getting changed for dinner one night and she had the deadbolt on.

So then my lock must have been broken as I could put it on and my card would open it from the outside. We tested it with my wife inside and the deadbolt on and when I put my card in, the door opened. I walked in on my daughter getting changed for dinner one night and she had the deadbolt on.

Actually, there might be a bit of logic involved there. Imagine the number of times Security would end up getting in the middle of a spousal "discussion" where one half (most likely the male of the species) is locked out of the matrimonial stateroom by the fairer and more sensible sex. So one would certainly hope that your very own access card does precisely what it is designed to do; get you safely out of the hallway...;-)

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Hi All,

We also "screwed up the Secuity Code" for our Safe one day (figure we were in a hurry and our finger slipped when enterring the numbers)

Anyhow we couldn't get into it. So we called Guest Relations.

They sent up an Officer (white shirt with Epaulettes) who brought with them a Master Key (wierd shaped end) and an Over-ride code. One would need BOTH of these items to gain access to a locked safe.

She also, needed to see ID from us, to make sure we were who we claimed to be, before she proceeded to open the safe. As we both had our Sea Passes on us... that was easy enough to achieve.

Safe was open in less than a minute...

She also told us that this happens often enough... and as extra precaution to anyone "trying" to break into a safe, the safe will automatically institute a LOCK OUT after so many incorrect entries.

As for the door.

We used the Deadbolt when we were in the cabin most of the time. We never used the "Do Not Disturb" door-hanger. We never had any problems with our Room Steward or her Assistant they ALWAYS knocked.

I was actually under the impression that they somehow knew when we were in the cabin or out... lol, other than being psychic (as it seemed we would disappear for say 30 minutes, and they'd have come and gone with whatever task they wanted to perform... such as the Morning Clean-Up)

If I was going to "get romantic" in the day-light hours, I would certainly suggest using the "Do Not Disturb" door-hanger.

Also, I agree with the statement that it would make sense that the Room Stewards can over-ride the locks if need be... as it is them who has the "responsibility" of checking on the cabin each and every day (for insurance & liability purposes). Same as when one stays in a Hotel Room... in the fine print it will tell you that Chamber Maid will be in your Hotel Room everyday whether you need their services or not.

Cheers!

Actually, there might be a bit of logic involved there. Imagine the number of times Security would end up getting in the middle of a spousal "discussion" where one half (most likely the male of the species) is locked out of the matrimonial stateroom by the fairer and more sensible sex. So one would certainly hope that your very own access card does precisely what it is designed to do; get you safely out of the hallway...;-)

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Not speaking from experience I hope!

i know my way around safes and these things are no more than a lockable box. I would imagine one reason they use them would be the weight of a decent safe is very heave and multiply that by 1000 rooms could easily add another 1000 tonnes to the weight of a ship.

We used the do not disturb sign when we wanted to sleep in, and the room steward always knocked before entering so none of that was an issue. We just had the one incident where I was out somewhere and my wife and daughter were in the room changing for dinner and I did not know that. I returned to the room and used my key and opened the door and they were suprised that it opened for me as they had the deadbolt lock on. I had thought that the deadbolt could only be activated from inside and when it was on, no one could get in from the outside like a hotel room but apparently either my lock was broken or they do not work like I thought. Seems to be not much of a security feature if the door continues to work as normal with it activated.

Archived