Train from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino Airport

Lonesome Polecat

Yes, there is a train. If you go to http://www.trenitalia.com you should be able to get the current prices and scheduling. The train system is pretty easy to use, but the station is a bit of a walk from the port, so take that into consideration if you have a ton of luggage. The distance is probably around .5 or so kms, maybe a bit more, but not much. The price starts around E4.50 to Rome and goes up from there, but I think you have to transfer trains at the Roma Termini.

Good luck to you.

Edited by fathercop

My wife and I are taking the Crown Princess from Ft. Lauderdale to Civitavecchia, Italy, arriving 12 May 2012. Is there a train that runs from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino Airport? How far is the train from the piers and about how much does it cost?
the train station is a 5 minute wak from where the shuttle drops you the local train from civ is 4.50 euros and i believe its 15 euros for the express to airport

I don't believe there is a direct train to the airport, you would have to go to Rome (Termini) and take the Leonardo di Vinci from there to the airport. Make sure there is a shuttle out of the port to the street and then there is still a good walk south to the train station.

The train service is excellent, very convenient, and affordable.

But be careful with your possessions. Lots of pickpockets and bag thieves (they got my backpack in Oct 2010). Having said that, safe enough from a personal point of view.

You can also take the train from Civitavecchia to Trastevere Station (there are elevators) and then transfer there to the local train to Termini. Easier and cheaper.

There's a pretty good youtube video on this.

????... The OP wants to go to the airport not, termini.

OP, as stated by other posters, Civitavecchia to Rome Termini, and change trains to the Leonardo express to the airport .. (easy peasy :))

Srpilo

Remember that train strikes can pop up at any minute in Italy. We ended up in having to get a taxi to Citavecchia. Why we were on our cruise, a second train strike was called at Naples, so that our tablemates, who had been planning to save money and take the train to Pompeii suddenly had to find a taxi to take them all the way there. I personally would be a bit nervous of taking a train to get to the port unless I went a day early.

Remember that train strikes can pop up at any minute in Italy. We ended up in having to get a taxi to Citavecchia. Why we were on our cruise, a second train strike was called at Naples, so that our tablemates, who had been planning to save money and take the train to Pompeii suddenly had to find a taxi to take them all the way there. I personally would be a bit nervous of taking a train to get to the port unless I went a day early.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but in fact strikes do not "pop up at any minute" in Italy. Except in very unusual circumstances, unannounced wildcat strikes do not happen in Italy because of their legislation on labor strikes. They are announced in advance and published both on government web sites and in the media. Of course, unless you know this and know where to look for the information, any strike feels like it's an out of control event, as it did to me the first time it happened and I was temporarily stranded.

To the OP, the various posts above have the information you need but let's put it all together in once place.

From the gate of the cruise port to the train station at Civitavecchia is one half mile, all on sidewalks and flat terrain.

There is no direct train service between Civitavecchia and the airport (Roma Leonardo DaVinci at Fiumicino, or FCO). To get there you must take one train to Rome and switch to another train to the airport.

The fastest routing and least expesive routing is the regional train from Civitavecchia to Roma Trastevere, where you switch to the FR1 local train to the airport.

One poster above suggested taking the train all the way to Rome Termini and changing to the express train to the airport (known as the Leonardo Express). You can do this but it will take longer and cost more. However, changing at Termini means avoiding stairs/elevators at Roma Trastevere, if that's important to you.

You cannot avoid stairs at Civitavecchia, however, if your train doesn't happen to be on the first track.

At the airport there are escaltors and ramps between the train station and the terminals.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you have a morning flight it is virtually impossible to use the train to get to the airport. The train ride alone can take between an hour and twenty five mintues to and hour and forty five minutes, depending on the train and the connecting time at Trastevere. To this you must add (1) the time it takes to get from your ship to the entrance of the port via shuttle bus or on foot, (2) the time to walk to the train station, (3) a few minutes to purchase your tickets, (4) time to walk from the airport train station to the terminals, and (5) time to wait for and take the shuttle bus to Terminal 5, if your flight leaves from there.

Edited by euro cruiser

I haven't made the transfer between the two myself, but I understand it's somewhat easier to make it at the two Roma stations prior to Termini (S.Pietro or Ostiense) rather than Termini itself. A slightly different option is that terrabus also run a termini-FCO bus.

We'll be taking the Termini-Civitavecchia section in the fall, and as someone pointed out, it's only €4.50. the run to the airport is somewhat more expensive €15. We're actually landing in NAP; and then taking the train to Roma, so yet again I've managed to avoid FCO airport (no particular reason just seems that way)

We transfer at Ostiense. We find it much easier and cheaper (the Leonardo train is double the price of the local stopping train) to avoid Termini. But, we are fairly light packers and one always has to assume that the elevators between track are out of service.

We transfer at Ostiense. We find it much easier and cheaper (the Leonardo train is double the price of the local stopping train) to avoid Termini. But, we are fairly light packers and one always has to assume that the elevators between track are out of service.

I'm curious, why Ostiense vs. Trastevere? If you are on the IC you don't have an option, Ostiense is the only stop other than Termini, but on a regional that stops first at Trastevere, then at Ostiense, why stay on for the additional stop?

If your timing is just right it would make sense to route through Ostiense in order to get an IC rather than a regional train. There's only one per morning, but it's at a good time for flights arriving from the US. It leaves Ostiense at 9:50 and arrives at 10:30, to connect with it you'd take the 9:13 from the airport, arriving at Ostiense at 9:45.

That same 9:13 gets to Trastevere at 9:39 where it would connect with a 10:00 regional that arrives in Civitavecchia at 11:01. Therefore the Ostiense routing gets you there a half hour earlier. This routing costs a little more but has the additional benefit of no stops between Ostiense and Civitavecchia.

The Trenitalia on-line system doesn't show this option if you simply put in the airport as your starting point and Civitavecchia as your destination; you'd need to either know about it or, as in your case, have a ticket agent who does. I can't remember if the self-service machines let you specify the station you want to change at - if using them you might have to enter two different trips to get this routing.

Edited by euro cruiser

"The Trenitalia on-line system doesn't show this option if you simply put in the airport as your starting point and Civitavecchia as your destination; you'd need to either know about it or, as in your case, have a ticket agent who does."

Not true, goto http://www.trenitalia.com/ paste "fiumicino aeroporto" in box 1 & "civitavecchia" in Box 2; pick date & time & you'll see all available schedules. Connection is at Roma Trastevere. Ticket can be bought from a vending machine or attendant. Vending machine takes CC.

"The Trenitalia on-line system doesn't show this option if you simply put in the airport as your starting point and Civitavecchia as your destination; you'd need to either know about it or, as in your case, have a ticket agent who does."

Not true, goto http://www.trenitalia.com/ paste "fiumicino aeroporto" in box 1 & "civitavecchia" in Box 2; pick date & time & you'll see all available schedules. Connection is at Roma Trastevere. Ticket can be bought from a vending machine or attendant. Vending machine takes CC.

You misunderstood what I wrote. The Trenitalia system does not show you the routing from FCO to Ostiense to Civitavecchia, it only shows the ones you refer to, that change in Trastevere. Perhaps I should have been clearer and, instead of saying "this option" spelled out which routing I was refering to. I thought it was clear in the context of my post and those that came before it, but obviously it was not.

Edited by euro cruiser

My wife and I are taking the Crown Princess from Ft. Lauderdale to Civitavecchia, Italy, arriving 12 May 2012. Is there a train that runs from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino Airport? How far is the train from the piers and about how much does it cost?

I believe that the answers you have received show that going from the airport to Civitavecchia is quite complicated - especially with luggage! We have found out that renting a car at the airport - and returning it in Civitavecchia is the best option - except you spend some extra money on a taxi or a limo!

Screwcork

• 2 weeks later...
I believe that the answers you have received show that going from the airport to Civitavecchia is quite complicated - especially with luggage! We have found out that renting a car at the airport - and returning it in Civitavecchia is the best option - except you spend some extra money on a taxi or a limo!

Screwcork

Any information which car rental place rent cars at the airport in Rome and allow you to drop it off in Civitavecchia?

We are planning on doing just that after we found out the hassel it is to go by train.

Theo

After disembarking and travellling by train from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino airport, what would be the earliest time to book our flight to London (there are several flights each day). Should we book the flight for early afternoon, around 1:30 PM or later? Just want to make sure we allow sufficient time to get to the airport.

Thanks

After disembarking and travellling by train from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino airport, what would be the earliest time to book our flight to London (there are several flights each day). Should we book the flight for early afternoon, around 1:30 PM or later? Just want to make sure we allow sufficient time to get to the airport.

I would allow 30 minutes to get from the port to the train station in Civitavecchia, plus an hour and forty five minutes for train travel and another fifteen minutes to walk from the train station to the check-in desk for your airline. To that I'd add another half hour of "pad" time, totaling three hours.

Therefore, if you can be off your ship and on the way to the airport by 8:30 AM you should have no problem making a 1:30 PM flight to London (which will leave from one of the main terminals, not T5).

I would allow 30 minutes to get from the port to the train station in Civitavecchia, plus an hour and forty five minutes for train travel and another fifteen minutes to walk from the train station to the check-in desk for your airline. To that I'd add another half hour of "pad" time, totaling three hours.

Therefore, if you can be off your ship and on the way to the airport by 8:30 AM you should have no problem making a 1:30 PM flight to London (which will leave from one of the main terminals, not T5).

Appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Any information which car rental place rent cars at the airport in Rome and allow you to drop it off in Civitavecchia?

We are planning on doing just that after we found out the hassel it is to go by train.

Theo

Hi,

we used Hertz, which have an office quite close to the port in Civitavecchia. Just leave the other persons and your luggage by the gate to the port, return the car at the Hertz office and walk back to the gate - less than 5 min.

Screwcork

Have you thought about posting on your rollcall asking if anybody wants to share a van to the airport? There were so many "takers" on our Mariner cruise that 3 different vans were booked by different groups. It cost less than 20 euros pp

Great and accurate advice. Outside the ship, there will be a free shuttle that will take you to the port gate. Just outside the gate, you can purchase your tickets (tobacco stand or store...you'll hear them selling the tickets) thus avoiding the lines at the train station. Turn right and walk approximately 4 blocks to the train station. Simply follow other passengers if you are lost. Inside the train station, check to see which platform is designated for Rome. Don't forget to validate your ticket before you board the train. (yellow validating machines) Italian trains are notorious for being late...perhaps plan your flight later if you plan on leaving the ship later. Agree..no problem on the 1:30 pm flgiht to London.:)

• 3 years later...

Hi, if I take the regional train from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino Airport via Trastevene, how long does it take for walking across the platforms for changing the trains as I understand that there is up and down in the station. I have to calculate the transit time as my family and I have 2 big and 2 small bags. Thanks.