Scuba in the pool

rmiller

I am leaving on the Liberty of the Seas on March 3rd. I have scoured the boards here and on RCCL's website. I have learned so much and feel very prepared for our first cruise.

On Royal's website I came across information about the Discover Scuba Experience. It seems to be an introduction to scuba diving, which I would love to try, but it didn't answer all of my questions. Has anyone ever tried it? Do they supply the equipment? I wear glasses. I would hate to have to invest in a custom mask just to find out that I can't pass the fitness test.

I want to try diving so bad, but I am still working on getting over a fear of water. I have started to swim again, but am not great. I still have trouble having water on my face, especially when I can't see. Are the instructors beyond patient? I think this will be the best chance for me to try, since it is such a controlled environment.

I am leaving on the Liberty of the Seas on March 3rd. I have scoured the boards here and on RCCL's website. I have learned so much and feel very prepared for our first cruise.

On Royal's website I came across information about the Discover Scuba Experience. It seems to be an introduction to scuba diving, which I would love to try, but it didn't answer all of my questions. Has anyone ever tried it? Do they supply the equipment? I wear glasses. I would hate to have to invest in a custom mask just to find out that I can't pass the fitness test.

I want to try diving so bad, but I am still working on getting over a fear of water. I have started to swim again, but am not great. I still have trouble having water on my face, especially when I can't see. Are the instructors beyond patient? I think this will be the best chance for me to try, since it is such a controlled environment.

Do it at home. My last birthday I gave myself a discover scuba class. It was $25, they provided all the gear (I had my own snorkel and prescription mask (mask cost less than $70 online)). We learned a lot in about 3 hours and went to the bottom of the pool. Yeah, it was only 10 feet but if you panic, that's not far to the surface and you're not dealing with the nasty taste of salt water. I went on for my open water certification. I strongly suggest that you look for a place near you.

I haven't done this, but we saw a class going on when we arrived at the solarium early AM on NOS...and yes, Id say the instructors were beyond patient...it was just two people and 2 instructors. One guy was having trouble and kept popping up, but they kept helping and they were all laughing and enjoying a very 1 on 1 sort of experience.

I got the idea they learn in the pool, on the sea day, and then go off on a dive at port? Like I said, did not try this, but we were there for a couple of hours watching the class... extremely thorough! Hopefully, someone who has done the program will have more details!:D

Just be prepared that there is more to it than what you see going on in the pool in the morning. If you are going to do this be ready to spend part of your vacation reading and studying. My advice is to take a class at home. Scuba is a great sport but can also be very dangerous. It is not something to take lightly. You want to be well trained. I took a course years ago. I can't imagine cramming it all into a week when I am supposed to be of vacation relaxing, having fun, and with no real set schedule of having to do anything.

I wear glasses. I would hate to have to invest in a custom mask just to find out that I can't pass the fitness test.

My husband solved this problem for me a few years ago, and it worked great!

We went to Walmart and bought me an inexpensive mask. Then, he took an old pair of my glasses and removed the temple (side) pieces. It's not a real problem if the prescription isn't perfect, because you get some magnification and slight distortion underwater, anyway.

He took the front piece and stuck it to the inside of the mask, so I was looking through my glasses with the mask around them. He used what he refers to as "monkey snot" (a highly technical term that mechanics and gearheads use), which is some kind of gummy subtance that sticks and stays put.

I used these snorkeling and couldn't believe how great they worked!

Thanks for the replies. I am really looking forward to the little class. I don't plan to get a full certification on board. I would defiantly want to get lots more experience before getting a full certification. I just figure it would be a great way to try it in a controlled environment. If I decide to pursue it further at home, I have a friend who is certified and I could get his instructor's info to finish out the courses.

Would be great to continue hearing feedback from everyone.

Most dive shops with advanced notice will gear up and get in their pool for free. I wear glasses and have never had a need for a special mask while diving. Numbers on the gauges are large enough and then the water magnifies things some.

Depends on how nearsighted (i.e. blind) you are! :D Me, I need the glasses in the mask thing.

Thanks for the replies. I am really looking forward to the little class. I don't plan to get a full certification on board. I would defiantly want to get lots more experience before getting a full certification. I just figure it would be a great way to try it in a controlled environment. If I decide to pursue it further at home, I have a friend who is certified and I could get his instructor's info to finish out the courses.

Would be great to continue hearing feedback from everyone.

I spoke with the instructor on Explorer of the Seas and she said that it was a scuba certification class. As someone said above, lots of work. I took a two tank dive in St. Thomas and half the group was a discover scuba class. They didn't seem as satisfied as the certified group. They were being taught during the first dive and came in the water on the second. I don't think that they were ready for the 45 feet dive, meaning, I don't think that they joined the certified group on the wreck dive. I think they were in another area. I'm not sure that one got back in the water at the second site. :cool:

My bother-in-law is a Certified Master Scuba Instructor. He absolutely forbids anyone in our family to take one of these 'on the spot' Scuba certification courses on a cruise or at a resort. He says that Scuba is a potentially dangerous activity and you need to take your training in a methodical and structured manner, and that cannot be adequately done in a rushed environment. He knows what he is talking about so we take his advice seriously.

I think the posters who said that the diver certification takes a lot of time is right. My husband did this on a cruise and there was a lot of reading and studying to do. I took diver training back at home and would not have wanted to give up that much time on my cruise. My husband was away from us so much that he decided to not finish the course on the ship and finished it with me. They sign off on the skills, so you can pick up and continue.

It is fun and you see a lot that you would not see from the surface, but it is serious and you have to use the skills you learned and know how to use them if needed, so it is a good idea to learn them.

Like others have already stated,get comfortable at home in the water.Save yourself a lot of grief,especially if your already apprehensive in the water.I have been certified for a long time and do most of my diving of the coast of NJ in cold ,dark, murky water in a dry suit.I also have many good friends that are instructors or dive-masters on their way to becoming instructors and I have heard many stories to backup what most are saying.Everyone learns and gets comfortable in the water at there own pace but once you do your going to love it.As far as mask,most of the manufactures have the lens you will need for your prescription corrected for the magnifying effect of water.All you have to do is figure out what mask fits you the best,tell them your prescription and they will order it for you from the factory.This way your not paying for glass that you won't need.The first thing I would do before spending any money on anything is go to a YMCA or similar type pool and get yourself comfortable being underwater and make sure this is going to be for you.Please dont think I'm trying to scare you,I just want to make this a positive experience for you and this way everything will go much easier.Diving is GREAT fun,safe and there is just so many interesting things to see down there.Good Luck

I'm going to offer the same advice. Get certified at home, not on a cruise or resort. I took a discovery scuba course in Jamaica and decided to get certified there. The instructor was a Padi instructor but he rushed us thru in less then 2 days. I did not feel comfortable in the water until I took a refresher course back home and was taught a lot of stuff I should have learned to begin with.

Just make sure to take your time, ask any question you have.

001-1.jpg

This is one of the many things you will find once you get down there This was a 14lb lobster taken off The Texas Tower wreck 60 miles of the coast of Jersey.Had to use a pot that went across two burners on the stove to cook him and boy he was some good eating.

Archived