My Marina Review -- Sorry it's so late

LauraS

Here's a link to my Marina review from the Fall; I apologize for the delay (lots of life issues going on upon my return).

Once in a Lifetime? I Hope Not by LauraS

LauraS,

Thank you for this comprehensive review. I am very much in agreement with your assessment of Marina,with a minor difference of opinion (I felt the storage space in the cabin was inadequate, as I don't hang most of my things).

I like your comment about the chairs; in fact I stated in one of my posts that the large white leather chairs in the lobby reminded me of "Edith Ann" (Lilly Tomlin's character).

Everybody loves the design and the food of the Marina. The interesting question would be how it compares to the R ships in your opinion (after you try one of them).

Paul

Laura,

Congrats on your 30th anniversary, I am celebrating mine this August. I really enjoyed your review of the Marina and am struggling with a tough decision between the Marina and Symphony. Did you consider any other ships before deciding on the Marina?

Wow, Laura, I guess that you liked the Marina! :D

It is ages since I've read such a rave on Cruise Critic, and you should certainly know what you are talking about.

It is not in my nature to say "I told you so",...... but.........., well............I DID! :rolleyes:

Hi, Laura -

I believe you were on the cruise right before ours (did you end in Venice?). We embarked on Marina in Venice (to Istanbul) on September 7.

Great review! I had very similar observations in my review. We can't wait for our cruise this September from London to Barcelona.

Happy 30th! We celebrate our 33rd anniversary this year.

Laura,

We are both 6 foot and found the chairs uncomfortable. They seemed to have chosen looks over comfort.

Yes, when we were on the Marina it was the taller people who didn't like the chairs -and the older people who said that they could not get up out of them.

112206.jpg164750.jpg Oddly enough, I was just reading this weekend about how everyone hated the First Class dining room chairs on the SS France, and she became a classic,

010126.jpg010457.jpg

so maybe form is sometimes more important.

I am only 5'4" & found the chairs really uncomfortably low especially the ones outside La Reserve

Not sure who was the person choosing those chairs but they must have been under 5 ' if they found them comfortable:eek:

Here's a link to my Marina review from the Fall; I apologize for the delay (lots of life issues going on upon my return).

Once in a Lifetime? I Hope Not by LauraS

I really enjoyed reading your review and it definitely has me looking forward to our first Oceania cruise, on the Marina, in 3 weeks time. It's a special cruise, celebrating our 50th anniversary and it sounds as if we have selected the right ship for a "once in a lifetime" cruise.

I agree with you regarding the Roll Call. We have met some great people in the past during our "M & G's" and it has always added to the fun of the trip.

Thx. for sharing.

Thanks for your comprehensive review. We are looking forrward to being back on the Marina next week. The often cited "shortcomings" aside, we loved our TA cruise last March and are escaping the cold for B2B in the Caribbean.

To your comments about CC - I found it invaluable for learning about things before we sailed to new places and on a new cruise line. The people we met have been wonderful and I had never had enough nerve to do shore excursions on our own before finding CC. Thanks.

Joanna

Great review! We were likely disembarking in Civitavecchia the day you embarked, completing our London to Rome trip last August. That was our 25th anniversary cruise, which we greatly enjoyed. Loved the PH suite we had.

• Administrators
Laura,

Congrats on your 30th anniversary, I am celebrating mine this August. I really enjoyed your review of the Marina and am struggling with a tough decision between the Marina and Symphony. Did you consider any other ships before deciding on the Marina?

I actually did compare other ships, but mostly I was looking at itineraries and ports. Which is how I made my final decision.

Laura

• Administrators

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Yes, we embarked in Rome on Aug 26, debarked in Venice on Sept 7th.

I did some googling, and found that it is the seat DEPTH I had an issue with, essentially because I'm a very short person. If I sat back all the way on most of these chairs, as someone mentioned, I would look like that Lily Tomlin character.

Seriously, not a big issue. I ended up sitting on one of my legs (not good for the circulation) but short people know exactly what I'm talking about.

I was telling hubby that I finally finished my review, and he started reminiscing about all the great food and experiences we had.

Happy anniversary to everyone who'll be celebrating on board an Oceania sailing!

Laura

Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Yes, we embarked in Rome on Aug 26, debarked in Venice on Sept 7th.

I did some googling, and found that it is the seat DEPTH I had an issue with, essentially because I'm a very short person. If I sat back all the way on most of these chairs, as someone mentioned, I would look like that Lily Tomlin character.

Seriously, not a big issue. I ended up sitting on one of my legs (not good for the circulation) but short people know exactly what I'm talking about.

I was telling hubby that I finally finished my review, and he started reminiscing about all the great food and experiences we had.

Happy anniversary to everyone who'll be celebrating on board an Oceania sailing!

Laura

Happy Anniversary to you and great job with the review. I just wanted to let you know that I am 5'6" tall and I hated the seating in the public lounges (especially near the Reception Area on deck 5). The only size person that felt comfortable in them was a man 6' or taller! I thought they were extremely uncomfortable (and not much to look at either) especially compared to the "R" ships.

So my feeling is that a man picked out the chairs/couches in the lounge areas and a very short man or woman designed the showers. :D

Even feeling the way I do about the decor on Marina, we are booked to sail on her again in September, 2012. It is still a fabulous ship and you can't beat Oceania's food and service.

Billie

I have heard that the Culinary Classes are very popular, and there are no sea days on the cruise I've booked. Were you able to pre-book prior to embarkation, or did you book a place on board?

Trudi

Not Laura

But you can pre book you just have to pay at the time of booking

If you think the classes will be popular & you really want to do a specific one then book now

I just finished the Pearls of the Caribbean last weekend on the Marina and also was on the first Caribbean cruise on the Marina in March 2011. The review is excellent and just as accurate now as even though it is from a cruise last year.

My wife and I noticed one big change when comparing basically identical cruises albeit almost a year apart. This year the crew was much more pleasant, smiled more and more at ease preforming their tasks. They truly made us feel welcome as their honored guest, not just passengers. We found this year's cruise more enjoyable as a result.

Our only criticism was delayed and fragmented service in Toscano, but that was made up with impeccable service the other 11 nights at the other food venues.

Archived