Roatan

Caribbean? Cruise Ship? Shopping? Of Course!

A little know secret. Every cruise line is actually owned by Diamonds International. They built those ships solely so people could spend money they would normally keep in their pocket at home.

Seriously, Coxan Hole started as a small tiny pier, built by NCL in conjuntion with the Honduras government. But the expansion over the past ten years has been extensive.

Ship tours depart from a parking area that is part of the pier. Tours booked outside the cruise line, you walk outside of the gated area and meet your tour operators.

Shopping at the pier, but google Roatan Cab Tours and you will find the best transportation to the West End. $25 pp round trip. Tell them to take you to the Mayan Princess. $10 pp for lounger access to all their site beautiful tiled pool with waterfalls and the most gorgeous beach on the planet.

Shopping at the pier, but google Roatan Cab Tours and you will find the best transportation to the West End. $25 pp round trip. Tell them to take you to the Mayan Princess. $10 pp for lounger access to all their site beautiful tiled pool with waterfalls and the most gorgeous beach on the planet.

We did the same thing, but with our group of 10 adults and a 3 year-old, we were able to get a tour to West Bay for $15/pp. West End we were told was better if you planned to scuba dive. All the beaches on West Bay are private, so they all charge a fee to use the facilities, pool, and have a chair.

Beth

Becci is right about Roatan Cab Tours. But you want to go to West Bay for the great beaches where Mayan Princess is. This is a mile or so long beach dotted with hotels and beach clubs. She misspoke saying West End. (lots of folks say West End when they mean West Bay, a common slip of the tongue but for newbies it is important to know the difference to tell your driver where you want to go!) West End is a small village with a lovely bay and beach, but there are no facilities there.

From the pics looks like it sure has changed, at least around the pier, since I was there in 2000. The roads look smooth.

When I was there, very limited shopping, roads full of pot holes that had skinny dogs lying in them.

We went by taxi to Half Moon Bay Cabins, West End. Great day, even though where we were was not a great beach, but they had steps into the water for great snorkeling. I still have the T-shirt I bought. Good lunch & loved the beer but don't remember what it was........

I'm not sure if you can tell how much it's grown from this picture, but this was taken from the Grand Princess when we were leaving Roatan in March 2007. The port area was nothing more than a chain-link fence surrounding a parking lot of old school busses. They had just broken ground to develop the shopping village.

2993267350064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

I can see how the port has changed. It was really a nice port to visit. The Garifuna were playing their traditional music and dancing just as you get off the ship. The shopping is right there, but also down the street outside of the port. We spent the day at Anthony's Key. We caught their ferry and went over for the day. It was so nice, and the snorkeling was great.

Caribbean? Cruise Ship? Shopping? Of Course!

A little know secret. Every cruise line is actually owned by Diamonds International. They built those ships solely so people could spend money they would normally keep in their pocket at home.

Seriously, Coxan Hole started as a small tiny pier, built by NCL in conjuntion with the Honduras government. But the expansion over the past ten years has been extensive.

Ship tours depart from a parking area that is part of the pier. Tours booked outside the cruise line, you walk outside of the gated area and meet your tour operators.

I thought they were all owned by "Little Switzerland" :D

The new Coxan's hole pier is quite nice but very small. You can get to all the shops in very little time. There is still a lot of shopping along the streets leading to town for local made stuff. It looks a bit scary but is not all that bad. I like making the rounds of the local shops, and have no fear of haggling with them. :D

Kevin's Girl- Please tell us more about Anthony's Key! Where is the ferry, how much does it cost, can you come and go at will or does the ferry only run at certain times? I looked at their website several years ago, but didn't see anything about day trips for cruisers.

When we went we booked separate from the cruise line. I just checked out the Anthony's Key/Maya Key website. Things have changed a bit since I went in the spring of 2010. They now state that individual bookings are no longer accepted and you need to book directly through your cruise line. RCCI does offer an Excursion there:

Maya Key Private Island Retreat - RT64

Maya Key the quintessential Caribbean getaway that offers everything you would expect from a tropical destination and much more! This peaceful 11.5 acre private key conveniently located just three minutes across the bay from the Roatan cruise pier and is the perfect location for you to maximize your time in Roatan. White sand beaches and crystal-clear Caribbean waters can be yours to enjoy within minutes of arriving in Roatan. Departures to Maya Keya are at a set schedule, however return from Maya Key back to the ship are approx. every half hour at your discretion. Please remember when planning your day that guests must be back on board the ship a minimum of 30 minutes prior to sailing time.

Prices starting from:

*62.00 USD (Adult)

*32.00 USD (Child)

*0.00 USD (Infant)

This is the info for cruise passengers from Maya Key:

Notice to Cruise Passengers

If you are arriving to Roatan by cruise ship, Maya Key is available as a shore excursion through the cruise lines coming to Roatan.

The Excursion Includes:

Use of pool, beaches and lounge chairs

Admission to Art Exhibit Center, Maya Interpretation Center, Mayan Ball Court, Hieroglyphic Stairs and the Artisan Plaza

Tour of the Animal Rescue Center

Restroom facilities

Lunch buffet

Round trip transportation from Mahogany Bay Cruise Center or Port of Roatan

Direct bookings are not available, as space is limited and our capacity is reserved for the cruise excursions. “Maya Key Private Island Retreat” can conveniently be reserved through your cruise line’s website or at the shore excursions desks onboard your ship. For any other inquiries, please contact us through our convenient web form.

This is exactly the info I've been looking for as we'll probably do another Christmas cruise. (It looks like we'll be traitors and switch to Princess as RCI is going to 3 ports rather than 4 and don't include either Roatan or Costa Maya.)

39august, sorry for the confusion. The place has changed names and it seems confusing. When we originally booked with them they were Fin and Flippers. Then Anthony's Key bought it out and my emails went to them and then it seemed that the over night stay part was Anthony's Key and I was then dealing with Maya Key. The area we spent the day was Maya Key managed by Anthony's Key

Archived