Thinking of 1st O cruise, with questions

writer100

We waited until the last minute for a Marina cruise and got shut out.(Not just bad planning, but uncertainty caused by a herniated disc.) Now pondering 12/10 Riviera sailing. Two questions triggred by comments on various O threads:

Are toiletries in Concierge level suites different from "regular" veranda suites--and if so, what brands are where? (Meaning, does my wife have to lug her favorite shampoo, etc.)

Much has been said about the uncomfortably small showers. Is it possible to take showers in the spa. without an entry charge, and are those showers bigger that the ones in the cabin? I'm not extra large--6 feet. 160lbs.--but I'd like to be able to turn around without getting out of the shower.

Otherwise, O sounds delightful--especially the informal dress code and the dining options.Many thanks for advice and insights.

Yes, there are different toiletries in concierge and above vs non-concierge, but they are fine in either event. If that's a difference you cannot live with, feel free to bring your own.

Many cruises sell out, when you wait

1. the price goes up

2. cabin choices are limited.

3. you risk being closed out.

There are thousands of extremely happy O cruisers, many will not sail another line. There are also many never agains. Different strokes for different folks.

We waited until the last minute for a Marina cruise and got shut out.(Not just bad planning, but uncertainty caused by a herniated disc.) Now pondering 12/10 Riviera sailing. Two questions triggred by comments on various O threads:

Are toiletries in Concierge level suites different from "regular" veranda suites--and if so, what brands are where? (Meaning, does my wife have to lug her favorite shampoo, etc.)

Much has been said about the uncomfortably small showers. Is it possible to take showers in the spa. without an entry charge, and are those showers bigger that the ones in the cabin? I'm not extra large--6 feet. 160lbs.--but I'd like to be able to turn around without getting out of the shower.

Otherwise, O sounds delightful--especially the informal dress code and the dining options.Many thanks for advice and insights.

Yes you can take a shower in the workout area. As for the toiletries in concierge, I do not know the brand as they are bottled in "Oceania" containers. In the PH's there is Bulgari. Also some have complained of the shampoo drying their hair. I never had that problem. The Riveira I think will be addressing the shower problem as they are well aware as the Marina is going into drydock and will be modifying the shower and bath.

You will love Oceania. We sail on the Riviera in Sept.

The toiletries in Concierge level are L'Occitane which I had not heard of before sailing with Oceania but very pleasant nonetheless. I particularly like that the scent is not overwhelming.

The showers are in the part of the Spa which is "fee free", and they are spacious, well supplied and usually very underutilized.

The Marina refit will add shower equipment to the tubs, but I would not look for a change to the footprint of the showers.

The toiletries in Concierge level are L'Occitane which I had not heard of before sailing with Oceania but very pleasant nonetheless. I particularly like that the scent is not overwhelming.

The showers are in the part of the Spa which is "fee free", and they are spacious, well supplied and usually very underutilized.

The Marina refit will add shower equipment to the tubs, but I would not look for a change to the footprint of the showers.

They are using Bulgari in Concierge class now. We were just on Marina a couple of weeks ago. I would have prefered L'Occitane thats one of my favorites.:)

The showers on the Marina in the concierge level and below, are not optimal but at 6' 160 lbs, they shouldn't present that much of a challenge to you.

Personally, I'd rather slouch a bit and use the shower in my cabin, than run to the spa to shower in the morning. I'm 6'4" and quite a bit more than 160 and I managed to use the shower in my cabin without major incident.

Yes the showers could, and should, have been designed differently but its not a deal breaker and not worth, imo, running around the ship to shower. Try not to drop the soap and you'll be fine.:rolleyes:

BTW, as poorly designed as the Marina showers are, I prefer them over the overly friendly shower curtains in the regular cabins on the R class ships and probably even prefer them over climbing into the tub/shower in the PH's on the R class ships. YMMV.

My husband is 6'1' and 180 lbs - he has no problem in the shower. Too much has been made of the size of the shower. Concierge level tubs on the Marina have a hand-held shower now but nothing to keep the water in the tub like a curtain or glass partition. I've never had a problem with shampoo, etc. on any of the ships in any category. Bring your own if you are that fussy.

My husband is 6'1' and 180 lbs - he has no problem in the shower. Too much has been made of the size of the shower. Concierge level tubs on the Marina have a hand-held shower now but nothing to keep the water in the tub like a curtain or glass partition. I've never had a problem with shampoo, etc. on any of the ships in any category. Bring your own if you are that fussy.

I think that your husband lucked out by just making the height/weight requirement.....I'm 6'3", and if I stand under the shower head it touches my scalp (except in the OVO Suites).

In fact, although modesty forbids my inviting you over to see it, I'm told that I do a very solid impersonation of the Trevi fountain! :D

If the only reason your are going to a concierige cabin is soap, then I would suggest going down a classes to the B4's which boast massive 140 sq ft veranda... for a total cabin size of 390 sq ft !!!

They both have the same bathroom, but the concierige has only s 42 ft veranda.

I am on the Riveria Dec 10 sailing... in a B4

We have just returned from our Marina cruise in a B4 which had a tiny verandah. Also the toiletries were unbranded & quite horrible not a bit like the Bulgari ones in the higher grades. I was glad I had brought my own shampoo & conditioner & paid a visit to the ship's shop to buy some nice L'Occitane bath oil. My 6'6" husband found the shower almost impossible as he could not even stand up in the shower stall let alone get his head under the shower !

Sorry if this all sounds like griping, in fact we had a wonderful time & would definitely cruise Oceania again but unfortunately showers, verandahs & toiletries were the 3 things I didn't like !

We have just returned from our Marina cruise in a B4 which had a tiny verandah. Also the toiletries were unbranded & quite horrible not a bit like the Bulgari ones in the higher grades. I was glad I had brought my own shampoo & conditioner & paid a visit to the ship's shop to buy some nice L'Occitane bath oil. My 6'6" husband found the shower almost impossible as he could not even stand up in the shower stall let alone get his head under the shower !

Sorry if this all sounds like griping, in fact we had a wonderful time & would definitely cruise Oceania again but unfortunately showers, verandahs & toiletries were the 3 things I didn't like !

Were other nice products available for purchase in the ship's shop? Shampoo, conditioner, etc?? I'd hate to have to try to pack my own supply only to find that I could purchase quality products without taking up room in my suitcase, as well as the possibility of spills...

I guess that I must be easily pleased but I've always liked the general Oceania shampoo (etc.) products, even when of the "no name" variety.

I loved the Bulgari products we had on our October 2011 cruise on Marina but never had any complaints about earlier products. In fact, I generally have preferred what I got on Oceania (and Renaissance before it) to what I can buy in the store.

And no, I don't buy the cheapest thing I can find! But the Oceania products have always worked very well on my hair and skin. I definitely would not feel a need to "bring my own".

To each his own!

Mura

Don't forget that all these products are available in the spa at spa prices. I have purchased hair product there on a previous cruise as well as nail polish remover.

I use the stuff in the cabin. It's good enough for me, for a short time. Better than carrying with me or spending precious vacation time looking for toiletries.

Mo

If the only reason your are going to a concierige cabin is soap, then I would suggest going down a classes to the B4's which boast massive 140 sq ft veranda... for a total cabin size of 390 sq ft !!!

They both have the same bathroom, but the concierige has only s 42 ft veranda.

I am on the Riveria Dec 10 sailing... in a B4

I am new to Oceania and considering Rivieria in January 2013. I checked out the deck plans and did not see anything which led me to believe that B4s had 140 sq. ft. verandas. Can you tell me more about this? Thanks!

I am new to Oceania and considering Rivieria in January 2013. I checked out the deck plans and did not see anything which led me to believe that B4s had 140 sq. ft. verandas. Can you tell me more about this? Thanks!

I think they are 8 x12 on some of the B4's

That is a rough measurement

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2141293180101934561rfUlzc

but you are overlooked if that is a problem

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2629714840101934561eLXwhY

I am not sure where the above poster got the measurements from but the B 4's are 282 SF including the balcony

I am sure J & S will post a deck plan showing the location of such extended balcony cabins

We were in 7114

I think they are 8 x12 on some of the B4's

That is a rough measurement

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2141293180101934561rfUlzc

but you are overlooked if that is a problem

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2629714840101934561eLXwhY

I am not sure where the above poster got the measurements from but the B 4's are 282 SF including the balcony

I am sure J & S will post a deck plan showing the location of such extended balcony cabins

We were in 7114

Where is meow when we need her;)

Yes Ma'am, my pleasure....:D

The B4 cabins with the extended verandas are all on deck 7:

b_130711.jpg

There are ten toward the front of the ship (7000 through 7009 ):

124858.jpg

And another twenty towards the rear of the ship (7108 through 7131):

125403.jpg

Those cabins at what might be termed the "inside corner", where the deck first expands, overlook both the sea AND the side of the ship in a very dramatic way, but are also more exposed to the elements and to the observation of others.

112320.jpg

Archived