Final Payment Advice?

MikeandAmy

Hello,

I am getting conflicting stories on what to do. We are cruising in November, and plan on paying off our cruise when we get our tax refund this month. Some people have told me leave like a $100.00 balance just in case there is a price decrease, they say once you pay in full your stuck and thats it. We booked through a TA so would that help if we did pay in full and the price decrease?

I would suggest stashing the cash in your bank account until final payment is due, but it really is a matter of preference. I like hanging on to my money (and the option to make changes) as long as possible. :)

Enjoy your adventure!

I would suggest stashing the cash in your bank account until final payment is due, but it really is a matter of preference. I like hanging on to my money (and the option to make changes) as long as possible. :)

Enjoy your adventure!

I agree. He with the money is in charge. No reason to give them your money too soon. If you want to do it a week or so in advance, cool. But months? I have yet to find a good reason.

Enjoy your adventure!

I would end up spending it, been having a going to Vegas itch lol... :rolleyes:

We cruise in April and I left about $50 due until the last week before final payment was due. Not sure how many things change but last cruise I asked about Travel Protection through NCL and was told I could not add it after making final payment. So I would like to know what all does change after making final payment.

My understanding is that when they say that you can get a price drop (or travel protection) before final payment, it is referring to Final Payment Due Date, and has nothing to do with when you actually pay them.

So if you pay in full when you book, you can still get price drops up until the final payment due date.

Lois

I would keep my money, but if that's a problem for you, go ahead and pay off your cruise. If there is a price drop before final payment and NCL won't give it to you, you can always cancel and re-book at the lower price.

Thats why I was asking should I leave a balance of $100-200, just in case of a price decrease

If the price drops before the final payment is REQUIRED to be paid, you can still get the price drop even if you have paid in full. It is NCL's REQUIRED FINAL PAYMENT DATE that determines whether you can take advantage of the price drop - not whether it is actually paid in full or not. I have no idea about adding insurance thru the cruise line after final payment but independent insurance can be added at any time but may not cover preexisting conditions if not purchased with 14 days of BOOKING the cruise. (All are different so you have to check the details of your particular insurance.)

My understanding is that when they say that you can get a price drop (or travel protection) before final payment, it is referring to Final Payment Due Date, and has nothing to do with when you actually pay them.

So if you pay in full when you book, you can still get price drops up until the final payment due date.

Lois

Thank you!

That is what I was looking for... I will keep my comments to myself on the other answers I received...

Lois

This is a correct answer....HOWEVER, the OP indicated that they booked through a TA. The TA might have special rules in their contract regarding payments and/or price adjustments. You should check with your TA...and verify what the contract states....before making your decision.

If the price drops before the final payment is REQUIRED to be paid, you can still get the price drop even if you have paid in full. It is NCL's REQUIRED FINAL PAYMENT DATE that determines whether you can take advantage of the price drop - not whether it is actually paid in full or not. I have no idea about adding insurance thru the cruise line after final payment but independent insurance can be added at any time but may not cover preexisting conditions if not purchased with 14 days of BOOKING the cruise. (All are different so you have to check the details of your particular insurance.)

Much better explanation than mine!

So if you pay in full when you book, you can still get price drops up until the final payment due date. Lois

I agree. This is my understanding too.

This is a correct answer....HOWEVER, the OP indicated that they booked through a TA. The TA might have special rules in their contract regarding payments and/or price adjustments. You should check with your TA...and verify what the contract states....before making your decision.

OP, take note of this answer. I booked a previous cruise through a TA, made final payment about 1 week before the cruise line's deadline, price dropped a few days later, TA refused to do anything about it "because final payment was already made", even though I had been told (verbally by the TA when booked) that I would get price drops before the required final payment date if the cruise line allowed it. Lesson learned, now I only book direct with the cruise line.

I am new to cruising (my first cruise is over a year away) but I've been doing a lot of research and reading. Here's my thought.

I'm like you - Vegas - or the riverboats because I live in Indiana - would be begging me day in and day out to visit with cash stashed in the bank.

BUT - If I could hold off on paying anything but the required up to the due date, I would. Sure, maybe you could leave $100 balance just in case there's a decrease, but then you have to deal with the refund on a credit card and that could take weeks to months.

If you just waited to pay anything more, it would just be an adjustment to the balance due.

Am I thinking right?

Archived