costa concordia TV special

NoWhiners

Italian Cruise Ship Disaster: The Untold Stories

its pretty good--lots of videos by pax and interviews, plus comms by italian Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard Night Vision video is WOW!! And interviews with survivors I've not seen before.

This is excellent!!

Joanie

The Coast Guard Night Vision video is WOW!! And interviews with survivors I've not seen before.

This is excellent!!

Joanie

My favorite part!! you could really see the temperature differences between pax on side of ship and (cold) water and boats. I think it might have been thermal cameras. Great when they finally found the ship, after a couple of false alarms!

ML

Sorry I missed it....out of the 200+ channels we get, not one was National Geographic channel:confused:

Perhaps it will be on more channels in the future.

Do not know if NatGeo will show this in a couple of days on their web site, but found a link to them where they do have Full Episodes (might be tomorrow or Tuesday before the post it) In the US it can be found here http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/

Other Countries listed are here: http://natgeotv.com/

Joanie

Just checked the listings for NG channel here in Canada.. could not find it :mad:

Are there any Canadians who were able to see it? If so, which chanel/time? I'm in Pacific Standard Time btw.

We tried looking too and couldn't find any listing :(

Sorry I missed it....out of the 200+ channels we get, not one was National Geographic channel:confused:

Perhaps it will be on more channels in the future.

it looks like Discovery channel will have another special next Sunday at 10 pm Eastern time. title is: Cruise Ship Disaster: Inside the Concordia. maybe Discovery Channel is more accessible? I just saw the advertisement for it. They claim they have exclusive interviews.

ML

I thought it was very interesting and frightening at the same time. I must admit I started to cry when I saw and heard the kids screaming. :( Couldn't imagine having to go through something like that with my girls with me.

Definitely sad and also food for thought. DH and I have gone back and forth on what we would do in this situation. I think we would be suspicious if all we were told was "its just a minor electrical problem' and would probably go to cabin, get our life vests (and our important papers) and go wait on deck or by an exit if the weather was bad. We bought some small 'dry bags' to take with us, to hold passports, money, car/house keys, etc, just in case. We can keep them in the safe and just grab them when we get life vests. Seems to me you have nothing to lose by doing this. Of course, we also assume HAL would be more forthcoming and the crew better prepared, but maybe we are wrong in that?

We did agree that if it happened during dinner and all pax left the dining room, we would grab a bottle of wine on the way out:D!! Just kidding...

ML

My husband and I watched the entire episode and we found it all very frightening. When the Twin Towers fell in New York City on September 11, 2011, workers were told to go back to work. It was considered safe. Those who survived did not pay attention to the "all clear" signal. Many who obeyed never came home that evening. I could not help remembering that as I watched in horror the events that unfolded.

If anyone turned this off because they thought the director had "sensationalized" it you need to at least watch the part where the Italian Coast Guard and the Captain get in a "heated" discussion over the radio after he had left the ship. Wow!!! :eek:

Agreed--this was very compelling. I don't speak Italian but you could just hear the disgust in CG commanders voice.

ML

My husband and I watched the entire episode and we found it all very frightening. When the Twin Towers fell in New York City on September 11, 2011, workers were told to go back to work. It was considered safe. Those who survived did not pay attention to the "all clear" signal. Many who obeyed never came home that evening. I could not help remembering that as I watched in horror the events that unfolded.

Excellent point! I was on a Carnival cruise in May, 2012 and woke up early one morning to a very smoky smelling cabin! When we called the desk we were told that we had "passed by a ship that had a small fire".....really? At dinner that evening another couple at our table said they had smelled the smoke, called the front desk, received a "it's nothing" type answer. They did get dressed,got their valuables together, and went outside, but couldn't confirm a fire, but did continue to smell smoke. From now on I will do the same....lesson learned.

Excellent point! I was on a Carnival cruise in May, 2012 and woke up early one morning to a very smoky smelling cabin! When we called the desk we were told that we had "passed by a ship that had a small fire".....really? At dinner that evening another couple at our table said they had smelled the smoke, called the front desk, received a "it's nothing" type answer. They did get dressed,got their valuables together, and went outside, but couldn't confirm a fire, but did continue to smell smoke. From now on I will do the same....lesson learned.

Oops! I intended to say, May 2011.

Archived