What do you do to make your room/cruise more personal

chargercouple

I've never brought anything to personalize the room.

However this time I might bring something to put on our door. I'm sharing a cabin with my mother. My brother and dad are sharing another cabin. We booked so late for our cruise, our cabins are not next to each other like they usually are. Putting something on the door will allow them to find our cabin for whatever reason.

Took some Christmas door decorations once to make it easier to find our cabin. They were the static stick on type. Only problem was, every time I looked half of them were on the floor. Got back to the cabin one day, and our steward was taping them up. Not sure if he was just tired of picking them up or what, but I took it as a nice gesture.

When we have a balcony cabin we always bring a flag.............an American flag, a Chicago Cubs flag, or a Chicago Blackhawks flag to hang on the outside of the Balcony while we are in port so we can locate our room from port.

Wow that is a great idea! What size flag and how do you hang it? :)

I've ordered flowers from Bon Voyage before and liked them. If possible, I'll have flowers in the cabin on future cruises.

I always bring a bar of soap on trips in case I don't like the bath soap or shower gel provided in hotels or on the ship. Its scent makes the bathroom smell good.

Hmmm good stuff! like the idea about battery operated candle and flag. not sure what a reed defuser is?

It is used for aromatic oil diffusion to make the room smell good. I'm still waiting for one in bacon.

If there is a particular soda that you like, on many ships you can bring that aboard, and have the room steward empty the in-room refrigerator, and keep your beverages in there.

I bring an eye mask for sleep, and a book or two, that's about it. I don't think I spend enough time in my room to think about it that way.

We don't bring things to personalize our cabin or balcony, but we always have a few "brag" photos on our phone, camera, or laptop of our 3 year old granddaughter (she's a beauty, IMHO).;) We bring our own pillows (just the ones for our heads) because we are more comfortable on them. I like the idea of pump hand soap. We don't use bar hand soap at home because it does get all slimy and icky. I know our cabin steward could clean it up and put out a fresh one every day, but the pump would be so easy to bring onboard. Great idea.

beachchick

We just use the shower gel for washing our hands. The bar soap doesn't even get opened up. I don't think I've used bar soap in over 30 years. Less scrubbing of soap scum in the shower ;) Also, since it leaves scum in the shower/bath I wonder if that same scum is on my skin :eek:.

Reading through these posts, I suppose I bring stuff to personalize but I never knew it. Some things are always in my carry on, I leave it packed all the time. A tap light for the bathroom so we don't need a nightlight and no need to turn on the bathroom light in the middle of the night. My travel sized speakers for my Ipod, folds down tiny. My neck pillow. These items have proven to be essential for comfort/convenience over the years. I do take my DVD player and some DVD's, but those are stowed away when not in use... I need them to sleep.

I thought the thread was more regarding how a person would decorate to make it feel more homey.

Okay, I just know some people are going to think this is "snotty" but I have to say it ...... some cruisers have said that they decorate their door to help them find their room down a long hallway. Um, isn't that why the cabins are numbered?

If you like to decorate your door to make it look cutesy or nice or for a celebration or anything like that, that's great! Have at it!

I just couldn't help but smile when I thought about not being able to "find" your room without decorations.

Sorry! Don't mean to offend, but you know what I mean!

When the DS was younger I always brought along some decorations for the room and the cabin door. We usually travel at spring break so Easter is usually spent on our cruise. I also would bring goody bags for the DH and DS. Our last cruise the DS (now 16) was surprised that I still put up a couple of Easter bunnys on the door and on the wall in the cabin. He thought because he was older I wouldn't bother with it so he was happily surprised. He said it made him feel special that I would carry on the tradition. And of course, he loved the goody bag with his favoirte candy and some hard cold cash!:D

I usually bring two small voltive battery-operated candles for ambeience not so much to remind me of home.

When the DS was younger I always brought along some decorations for the room and the cabin door. We usually travel at spring break so Easter is usually spent on our cruise. I also would bring goody bags for the DH and DS. Our last cruise the DS (now 16) was surprised that I still put up a couple of Easter bunnys on the door and on the wall in the cabin. He thought because he was older I wouldn't bother with it so he was happily surprised. He said it made him feel special that I would carry on the tradition. And of course, he loved the goody bag with his favoirte candy and some hard cold cash!:D

I usually bring two small voltive battery-operated candles for ambeience not so much to remind me of home.

That you mention bringing goodies for your DS and your DH made me smile because it reminded me of an Easter long ago. We had taken our girls (our daughter and my "oops" baby sister) camping over Easter. Instead of attending regular worship services, we went into the woods and gave thanks there. It was fantastic. I had put together Easter baskets for the girls with chocolate eggs, chocolate bunny, jelly beans, and some girlie stuff (makeup kit, hair combs, crazy colored socks, etc.). I didn't put together anything for my hubby or me. My poor hubby looked at me and asked, "Did I do something bad? The Easter bunny forgot me" with this pathetic "boo boo" face he knows gets me every darn time (still does after 30+ years). That was the very last time the Easter bunny neglected him. To this day, he gets a big smile on his face when he comes downstairs Easter morning to find a See's chocolate bunny and a package of his favorite See's pieces waiting for him. That's all it takes to make him feel special and the Easter bunny is happy to oblige. If we ever cruised over Easter, you can bet he'd find them there too.

It just made me chuckle to remember how our hubbies are still kind of boys at heart.:D

beachchick

Archived