Alaska cruises

worldover

Personally I'd say the suit and jacket to tux ratio in Alaska was a little more in favor of the former than the Panama Canal, but still 'formal'. A few people in shirts and ties. Can't recall seeing anyone allowed in the MDR without at least a jacket in hand if not worn.

I found the round trip Alaska from Seatle cruises to be similar to Caribbean cruise formal nights, maybe just slightly less formal.

I found the one way Alaska cruise we took, Whittier to Vancouver that people were significantly more casually dressed on formal nights. I think its because most of them did a land tour either before or after the cruise which took up more luggage space for needed clothing. I felt on that cruise people were nicely dressed but not dressed up as nearly as much as on our previous Caribbean cruises.

Formal nights on Alaska, R/T Seattle, July 2011, were about 80% jacket and tie and 20% tuxes. Formal nights were well attended, but guys in tuxes and women wearing long sparkley dresses were the exception, not the rule. Most men were wearing jacket and tie and wormen were in dark dresses or dress seperates.

Formal night looked a lot more like folks dressed for a funeral than for a fancy dress party.

We have cruised many times but not with Princess for several years. This summer we are taking our family to Alaska. How formal are the formal nights on an Alaskan cruise? Tom

Formal nights on Alaska, R/T Seattle, July 2011, were about 80% jacket and tie and 20% tuxes. Formal nights were well attended, but guys in tuxes and women wearing long sparkley dresses were the exception, not the rule. Most men were wearing jacket and tie and wormen were in dark dresses or dress seperates.

Formal night looked a lot more like folks dressed for a funeral than for a fancy dress party.

Worldover, Thanks for asking the question, which I also am wondering about for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

Jeromep, thanks for the info. It's good to hear what actually happens on board.

• 2 weeks later...
On the R/T Seattle, which nights were the formal nights? I assume there wouldn't be a formal night on a night where your ship is in port late, is this a good assumption?

For cruises that depart Seattle on Sunday afternoon, the formal nights are Monday night and Friday night.

Definitely no different than on any other cruise. Most men were in suits with a few tuxes sprinkled in as well. Most women were in cocktail dresses and only a very few were in long gowns. There were also a few that just wore sports jackets.

As others noted same as elsewhere. I would say you see suits, Tux and worst too :D

We have cruised many times but not with Princess for several years. This summer we are taking our family to Alaska. How formal are the formal nights on an Alaskan cruise? Tom

Archived