Dress code changes

Mathguy42

We don’t care how other Cruisers are dressed. We don’t care if the staff enforces the suggested evening dress guidelines or not. We don’t care if the Cruise line we are sailing are inconsistent on their own guidelines. We dress in accordance with the suggested evening dress guidelines because that’s what we choose to do. Too each their own.

Like you, we dress in accordance with the dress code and like it, too. However, we disagree with you on NOT caring how ......

If those who really care, make their opinion count, then the cruise lines would enforce more. JMHO!

I don't see anything wrong with dressing in a long sleeve shirt and tie on formal night. This is a relaxing cruise not a best dressed contest.

Well, and I'm not taking sides, I guess the answer to your question is IN your question!! 'Formal' does not equal 'shirt and tie' by any definition.

I don't see anything wrong with dressing in a long sleeve shirt and tie on formal night. This is a relaxing cruise not a best dressed contest.

Yes, it is a relaxing cruise with a couple of formal nights in the main dining room. If someone really wants to completely relax on Formal Night, there are lots of other options for dinner on those nights. Sitting on the back deck with something from the buffet and enjoying the beautiful sounds of the sea, for example.

If you really want to relax, don't subject yourself to the dining room.

We were on Solstice Nov 4, 2011 in the MED and on all formal nights we saw many men in short sleeve shirt and slacks. NO JACKET, TIE and no one said a word to them. We did not have any virus.

This is one of the problems with each cruise, ship, staff. There are so inconsistent that they - STAFF - who represent cruise line, create the problems by not enforcing the dress code and other rules such as kids in the adult pools, etc.

You are on your local highway where the speed limit is 65 and you are doing 75. The first Highway Patrol officer you encounter doesn't cite you. That doesn't mean that the next one you encounter can't cite you for going 75.

The rule is 65, you exceed, you take your chances.

You are on your local highway where the speed limit is 65 and you are doing 75. The first Highway Patrol officer you encounter doesn't cite you. That doesn't mean that the next one you encounter can't cite you for going 75.

The rule is 65, you exceed, you take your chances.

Well said, in saying that though, you are on a cruise ship and you go to dining room and you do not have a jacket for the formal night - on the Infinity they bring you a jacket to wear. I witnessed this on several occasions (I had hired a Tux).

cheers Mic:D

This will be my 1st cruise ever and as such I want to experience as much as possible.

When we found out there would be 2 formal nights on board then it was a no brainer. We need to get something to wear to go to at least one of them .

You are embracing the occasion. I cannot wait to get all dressed up and walk to the MDR with my wife with both of us dressed up to the nines. We will certainly do it once. Maybe on both nights.

I appreciate some people will not want to dress up for formal nights but surely it cannot be too difficult for notices to be places on board and people made aware that on formal nights no formal attire means no entry to formal night function.

Now, I am of the opinion that 'Formal clothing means your best or hired clothes be it (good) suit, tux, kilt or whatever. Formal wear is not what you would wear to the office or the schoolteachers fav, tweed jacket and cord trousers and certainly not 'any old shirt and tie'.

Everyone is different and on a different budget but if you book a cruise surely you must accept formal nights will happen and if you dont want to get dressed up please do not attempt to gain entry. There are plenty other places to eat.

But you're assuming new cruises even know there is a different demographic between the different main stream lines. I recommend cruises to at least 5 or 6 different couples a year and help them find the right one, 90% are honestly stunned when I talk about different dress codes. And I work with financial executives, high paid.

I've had the same experiences!

Just because experienced cruisers KNOW there is a different dress on different cruise lines some first timers assumed the dress code went the way of the horse and buggy.

A senior leader at my bank booked a cruise on RCL, a week before the cruise they took me to lunch to talk about cruising and at the end of the meal I said something like, "I'm surprised you never asked about the dress code."

His response was, "what on earth are you talking about? It is 2011 not 1911, you're trying to tell me that while on vacation I'm expected to dress like going to a wedding?" Now keep in mind he and his wife had NO intentions on wearing shorts or even jeans to dinner. These are people who typically book week long stays at nice hotels, they know who to dress properly. They were just shocked that dress codes still exist.

Right! just like if I went to the opera, but wore flip flops, shorts and a tank top because, after all, I am there for the performance, not to dress up, and I think that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, it's no one's business how I dress.

Right! just like if a mechanic went to a wedding dressed in his work clothes because he is there to see the ceremony, not to dress up, and he thinks that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, he is attending during his personal time off, so he is going to wear whatever he wants.

Right! Just like if you went to a formal benefit dinner wearing jeans and a tube top, because you are attending only to donate money, not to dress up, and you think that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, your money is as good as all those pompous show offs in their tuxes and gowns.

In all these examples, the people chose to go for the event, not to dress up, so why should they bother wearing the customary style of clothing.

I find it amazing how certain people, who are too self centered to think of any one other than themselves, deliberately ignore the customs of a particular situation in their selfish need to rationalize their "it's all about me" attitudes.

I like your post, because it shows how both sides of the argument always seem to pick the most extreme cases/examples to support their arguments.

I'm guilty of doing the same, but flip flops and shorts at the opera, mechanics dress at a wedding, and jeans and tube top at benefit dinner made me chuckle.

Talk about extreme examples! Have they happened, sadly they probably have. But I don't think "formal night" on Celebrity can be compared to any of types of events. Formal on Cunard, that's an event! There are balls and receptions, during the evening. Formal on Celebrity, not so much. Dress for dinner, go to the show and be handed a glass of champagne before the show for the Captain's toast. How exciting:roll eyes:

No matter what cruise I book, I will continue to follow the dress code, including formal nights because I enjoy dining in the MDR, but will always hope for a more modern dress code (such as Oceania, Azamara, and Regent's) to go along with "modern luxury"

I don't understand why people pick a cruise line

that has a dress code and style they don't

believe in and then want to change them and do

what they want anyway.

Why not save yourself the trouble and pick a cruise line (there are so many out there) that do what you approve of.

For example if you are so averse to dressing like an adult for the evening, pick a line that doesn't

require it. If that doesn't work, you should not cruise.

Dressing well for the evening is expected....and rushing back to change into slobs after eating is infantile.

Well said.

We took our first cruise in 1974 and in all these years I have never met anyone "on" a cruise ship who said they didn't know there were going to be formal nights on the ship. When someone is going anywhere they've never been before one of the questions they usually ask is what to wear.

Greetings

That is (at least for me) nice to hear. I have been trying to decide what to take for our upcoming cruise. I would prefer to go with the blue blazer/sportcoat option simply because they are more comfortable in the tropics. I know many here do not believe that they are in compliance with the stated dress code for formal nights, but I am not nearly as rigid. I just didn't want to be the only one dressed in a blazer/sportcoat.

Good Sailing

Tom

Let me put this another way. I am very much into dressing for dinner, I really love it. But it is really hard to pack formal clothes, the airlines kill you on baggage anymore. Having said that, I too, would not want to be the only one not dressed properly for formal night. Like you I am not nearly so rigid that I would total diapprove of Blazer sports coat and dress trousers in a tropical climate on formal nights. On the formal night that my wife and I attended on Summitt in June 2011, there were enough men tastefully dressed in Sport coats and ties that I am going to take that combination of dress only on this trip to Bermuda. I do not approve of no ties and no jackets. I even wore my sportcoat sans tie on imformal nights. Probably won't do that this time, but I might, may even wear an ascot. I would not be adverse to renting formal attire for myself and my two step-sons, but cost is a factor on this trip.

This attitude that some have about to each their own is exactly why we have people showing up in shorts on formal night and trying to wear t-shirts in the MDR on other nights. I suppose you could say that attitude is the problem with society today. But that is for another board.

Right! just like if I went to the opera, but wore flip flops, shorts and a tank top because, after all, I am there for the performance, not to dress up, and I think that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, it's no one's business how I dress.

Right! just like if a mechanic went to a wedding dressed in his work clothes because he is there to see the ceremony, not to dress up, and he thinks that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, he is attending during his personal time off, so he is going to wear whatever he wants.

Right! Just like if you went to a formal benefit dinner wearing jeans and a tube top, because you are attending only to donate money, not to dress up, and you think that the dress code should be at the bottom of the list. After all, your money is as good as all those pompous show offs in their tuxes and gowns.

In all these examples, the people chose to go for the event, not to dress up, so why should they bother wearing the customary style of clothing.

I find it amazing how certain people, who are too self centered to think of any one other than themselves, deliberately ignore the customs of a particular situation in their selfish need to rationalize their "it's all about me" attitudes.

And yet another clueless cruiser who can't be bothered to learn the customs of the cruise line they are on.

To take this to the extreme, let's say my husband and I are nudists (look at my avatar photo and use your imagination :D ). We book a cruise on Celebrity ONLY because the price was right for the itinerary. We don't bother to learn anything about the cruise line, what it stands for, the atmosphere it is trying to create for it's customers, what is the customary way of life on this line. We only care about where it goes, and that the price is cheap enough for us.

So, we blissfully proceed to walk on the ship, head straight to the pool, and strip down to our birthday suits (very old birthday suits, mind you!). To heck with the dress code, we're not on this tub to dress up. After all, it's our cruise, we're only here so we can get from point A to point B. Who cares about the rules and what other people think?

Outrageous? If you can think the way you want, why not us?

(BTW: there isn't any statement on Celebrity's web site that says I can't be nude around the pool - that is, if I even bothered to go to the trouble to find out what is acceptable on this particular cruise line)

WHOA! You really need to try decaf once in awhile lol I never said I didnt follow the dress code...simply said most new cruisers book based on price and itinerary not the dress code :p

I've had the same experiences!

Just because experienced cruisers KNOW there is a different dress on different cruise lines some first timers assumed the dress code went the way of the horse and buggy.

A senior leader at my bank booked a cruise on RCL, a week before the cruise they took me to lunch to talk about cruising and at the end of the meal I said something like, "I'm surprised you never asked about the dress code."

His response was, "what on earth are you talking about? It is 2011 not 1911, you're trying to tell me that while on vacation I'm expected to dress like going to a wedding?" Now keep in mind he and his wife had NO intentions on wearing shorts or even jeans to dinner. These are people who typically book week long stays at nice hotels, they know who to dress properly. They were just shocked that dress codes still exist.

So, these people are "shocked that dress codes still exist"? Do they think it doesn't exist in many work environments? How about at a wedding, a funeral, the opera, church? To claim ignorance about proper dress in 2011 is just that, ignorance. Anyone who has been enticed by advertisements for cruising has to be aware that the experience is much more special than a back yard BBQ.

The wonderful thing is that there are options other than the MDR on formal nights. DH and I understand and respect the dress code and will dress nice but not formal and choose an alternate restaurant.

It all seems pretty simple to me.

So the main driving force for when you book a cruise is the dress code??? Really?? Thats laughable!

I started cruising Celebrity 10 years ago and the dress code certainly figured high on my list, not just because of the general ambiance I wanted, but also that I didn't wish to embarrass myself or others by not dressing properly.

It's a paradox to me that as time has gone on and more choices made available by Celebrity so that you don't have to dress up if you don't want to the threads on this board have become more and more numerous with the advice to dress how you please anywhere. I don't really understand that. My own personal observations are that most people do comply with what is asked of them in the MDR and those that don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Phil

So the main driving force for when you book a cruise is the dress code??? Really?? Thats laughable!

Laughable? To your narrow view of cruising, perhaps. Everyone I know takes vacations for the experiences they will gain, not just for price and itinerary. They book in hotels they will be comfortable in, not just the cheapest they can find. The book flights to airports that are convenient to them, not just the cheapest they can find. They select activities that will enrich their travel experience, not just the cheapest thing they can do. They dine in nicer restaurants, not just the cheapest dive they come across. Get the picture? And I believe that most cruisers use very similar criteria when choosing a cruise line - yes, one of them even the "dreaded" dress code, which for them makes the dining experience more of a special experience than taking the family to Applebee's or a Burger King.

EVERY cruise I have been on has been determined by many factors, in this order: what the itineraries are; the time of year; the style the cruise line has adopted; the amenities on the ships; and lastly, the price. I place too much value on the total experience than to just book on itinerary and price alone. That is why I am writing this on the Celebrity board, and not one of the budget cruise lines - where I'm sure the price would be lower, but at what cost to the total experience?

I wasn't planning on going on a cruise for a few years because my wife and I had a baby boy last April and it wasn't in the budget. On December 15th our daycare provider put our 7.5 son down for a nap and after only sleeping for 20 minutes he passed away from SIDS. Needless to say our whole world has been turned upside down. When my wife and I booked our cruise on the Eclipse in April the last thing we thought about was dress code. We both need some sun and something to relax our nerves. Like I said in a previous post I plan on wearing a nice shirt and tie on formal nights and I really don't care what anyone has to say about it. Life is too short to get stuck on something like dress code.

Archived