Dress code changes

Mathguy42

TO ADAMKNOWS,

My condolences as well... it does sound like a cruise might be exactly the type of holiday you need.

But when it comes to dress code... you should be aware... that although

you will not hear any dress code comments from your fellow passengers when you are on your cruise

BUT...

You might from Celebrity...

There are many stories about how non-compliance of the Dress Code can be handled by various Maitre D's

Including one being turned away... or if you have slacks, shirt & tie on, there is a possibility that you'll be given a "loaner" jacket to wear for the evening in the MDR.

I don't know about you... but the idea of wearing a jacket that many others have before me is well... ICKY !!

Personally, I'd rather make the choice to bring one of my own.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

TO ADAMKNOWS,

My condolences as well... it does sound like a cruise might be exactly the type of holiday you need.

But when it comes to dress code... you should be aware... that although

BUT...

You might from Celebrity...

There are many stories about how non-compliance of the Dress Code can be handled by various Maitre D's

Including one being turned away... or if you have slacks, shirt & tie on, there is a possibility that you'll be given a "loaner" jacket to wear for the evening in the MDR.

I don't know about you... but the idea of wearing a jacket that many others have before me is well... ICKY !!

Personally, I'd rather make the choice to bring one of my own.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

I know there is selective enforcement as far as dress for formal nights . You could make the same argument for the loaner jackets being icky just the same as renting a tux and dress shoes!

I know there is selective enforcement as far as dress for formal nights . You could make the same argument for the loaner jackets being icky just the same as renting a tux and dress shoes!

TO TALLY10,

NOT SO... one would KNOW that the Tuxedo Jacket was drycleaned before they got to wear it.

Same can't be said for a "loaner" Jacket from the MDR... you can assume that in the very least for an 8:30 PM seating, that the jacket could have (would have) been used for the 6:00 PM seating.

Before that ?? Anyone's guess.

Cheers!

We will wear our best formal wear on formal evenings. This means our incredibly beautiful black wool dinner suits, tailored in Italy, our best Italian silk ties and our best dress shirts with French cuffs (linen or cotton). If anyone wants to throw us overboard for that, you are welcome to do so... we will just bring you with us... I just bet we will out-dress you all. LOL :D

We will wear our best formal wear on formal evenings. This means our incredibly beautiful black wool dinner suits, tailored in Italy, our best Italian silk ties and our best dress shirts with French cuffs (linen or cotton). If anyone wants to throw us overboard for that, you are welcome to do so... we will just bring you with us... I just bet we will out-dress you all. LOL :D

Actually, what you describe fits Celebrity's "formal" guidelines to a tea.

After reading this thread my wife and I are considering canceling our cruise from Australia to New Zealand in Jan. We don’t want to deal with packing extra clothing for such a long trip in distance and days. We plan to be on vacation for 23 days including stays at other places and don’t have room for formal wear

I did call Celebrity and they informed me they really don’t enforce the dress code as long as you are presentable. I specifically asked the question if I could wear a pair of slacks and a dress shirt on formal night in the MDR on the Australian itinerary. They indicated I could but I’m wondering if that is case. Frankly I don’t care if people judge or look down on me as long as I can eat in the MDR. We do the formal wear thing cruises leaving from the US where packing isn’t a big deal.

We've been on a 29 day back to back cruise to the same place plus 3 days before in Sydney and found room to pack our formal wear. It doesn't take up any more room than any other clothing.

Yes it does.

Just off Summit a week ago. On formal nights I did see some tuxedos and fancier gowns, but most men wore suits and not always dark. For women, it's more cocktail dresses, but I wore my usual ankle-length, ruffled hem black dress with two different tops. Dressy slacks, usually black, and a fancy top are also OK. They don't make you stay in formal dress the whole evening anymore. Obviously, no shorts in the restaurants for dinner and theater. Smart casual means no shorts or jeans, but I was not the only one who wore capri pants with a nice top on other nights. I wore shorts in the MDR on the one sea day with the brunch buffet.

I actually welcome the loosening up of the dress code, as long as they don't go to extremes. On one cruise in the last 3 yrs we sat with a man who wore a smoking jacket to dinner on formal nights and looked like he'd just gotten out of bed, lol. I have seen several kilts over the years--very classic.

I really think that in 5-6 yrs, formal night might be gone, even on X. The younger cruisers are not into formality like the "Old Guard". I'm probably old enough to be in the old guard category (67), but have been cruising only 10 yrs., 8 cruises with my late DH and 5 with friends. Life is too short to stop cruising.

Booked a cruise for next Aug. while on Summit, 2-5.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy PC 6/06 Jewel OS Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mex Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ 1/09 Galaxy S. Carib.

6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib. 6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia

2/12 Summit S. Carib. 8/12 Millennium Alaska cruise/tour

HI KATHIE44,

Great report... interesting content.

But sadly, it was hard to read. :(

TIP... In future, could you put in a bit more white space (returns) as it will make it a lot easier on the eyes...

Like so would have been better....

Just off Summit a week ago. On formal nights I did see some tuxedos and fancier gowns, but most men wore suits and not always dark. For women, it's more cocktail dresses, but I wore my usual ankle-length, ruffled hem black dress with two different tops. Dressy slacks, usually black, and a fancy top are also OK. They don't make you stay in formal dress the whole evening anymore. Obviously, no shorts in the restaurants for dinner and theater. Smart casual means no shorts or jeans, but I was not the only one who wore capri pants with a nice top on other nights. I wore shorts in the MDR on the one sea day with the brunch buffet.

I actually welcome the loosening up of the dress code, as long as they don't go to extremes. On one cruise in the last 3 yrs we sat with a man who wore a smoking jacket to dinner on formal nights and looked like he'd just gotten out of bed, lol. I have seen several kilts over the years--very classic.

I really think that in 5-6 yrs, formal night might be gone, even on X. The younger cruisers are not into formality like the "Old Guard". I'm probably old enough to be in the old guard category (67), but have been cruising only 10 yrs., 8 cruises with my late DH and 5 with friends. Life is too short to stop cruising.

6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib. 6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia

Thanks,

Cheers!

We've been on a 29 day back to back cruise to the same place plus 3 days before in Sydney and found room to pack our formal wear. It doesn't take up any more room than any other clothing.

Yes, but it adds more weight to the luggage, (and potentially, more airline baggage fees)! ;)

It's been a while since my S.O. and I sailed Celebrity but we noticed in reading our cruise documents that tuxedoes are no longer de riguer and in fact, neither are suits for formal nights. I read the guidelines carefully and it looks like slacks, shirt with either sports coat or blazer will do for formal and just polos or casual shirt and slacks on the informal nights. Correct? If this is the case, we might even get away with carry-on luggage only...:)

We will be on the Eclipse in March, cruising in Aqua class. We always dress for formal nights and generally dress at least "informal" on other nights as well. Do feel it is sad that when cruise lines give folks some flexibility the first thing they think about is how much they can get away with in "dressing down". We will be dressing up vs down every night.

Yes, but it adds more weight to the luggage, (and potentially, more airline baggage fees)! ;)

I disagree. I have packed for a Celebrity cruise with formal wear and an Azamara cruise which doesn't have formal with just a light jacket and it hardly makes any difference at all. From the comments about luggage weight you'd think you were adding pounds to your luggage, but if you are a savvy packer there is no need to be burdened with excess baggage fees.

Phil

Young people today are actually dressing up more than they did just a few years ago. Just take a look at the photos of celebrities out and about. A few years ago all they were wearing were jeans. Now they are dressed up a lot more.

Fads come and go...remember the hippie look...but common sense usually returns.

I pack one long lightweight black dress and a different top for each formal night. I doesn't take up much room. My problem is taking too many shoes, lol.

DH and I went to Aust/NZ in Jan. '08. This was before they were charging for luggage, but we didn't have any problems with too much weight, even with my shoes. He wanted to do this cruise because it was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Thank God we went when we did because he died unexpectedly 6 1/2 months later. Don't put off those trips of a lifetime! We had booked two cruises ahead for '09 and I've been able to keep cruising with friends and DH's sister. Life is too short to stop cruising.

1/07 Mercury Mex. Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ 1/09 Galaxy S. Carib.

Perfection!

I pack one long lightweight black dress and a different top for each formal night. I doesn't take up much room. My problem is taking too many shoes, lol.

DH and I went to Aust/NZ in Jan. '08. This was before they were charging for luggage, but we didn't have any problems with too much weight, even with my shoes. He wanted to do this cruise because it was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. Thank God we went when we did because he died unexpectedly 6 1/2 months later. Don't put off those trips of a lifetime! We had booked two cruises ahead for '09 and I've been able to keep cruising with friends and DH's sister. Life is too short to stop cruising.

Kathie, so sorry for your loss. We were on Mercury Feb. and Mar. '08 for the Australian/Zealand/So. Pacific/Hawaii cruises, and also experienced a wonderful time.

No, it really doesn't, you just have to know how to pack and what to take. It's very simple.

Yes, it really does! ;) I weighed my checked luggage once with/without my formalwear & my checked luggage weighed an extra 9 lbs. with it! :) So, I no longer pack formalwear & manage to do just fine without it! :D P.S. I'm a man! ;)

How so? For men, they will be wearing pants, shirt and jacket to dinner, so why not pack a suit. The same weight, just dressier. And for women, lite-weight gowns are perfect.

Well, my formalwear added 9 extra lbs. to my checked luggage! ;) So now I never leave home (for a cruise), with it! :D

Kathie, so sorry about the loss of your husband. Your words are so true. Things can change in the blink of an eye. Enjoy while you are able.

Archived