Star Princess A746

DeborahQ

Looking at this cabin for an Alaska trip later this summer. We've done balconies on the Caribe deck on previous trips but considering A746 this time around. Looking for a review on this room since the balcony layout shown on the deck plan on Princess' site doesn't seem to match pictures, descriptions or deck plans on other sites. Has this cabin been added and numbers re-issued? Anyone cruised in this cabin and if so, would you do it again? Looks like it has a one-of-a-kind balcony. I've done a search on this site as well but it appears this cabin number used to be in a different place. Even have my glasses on!

Looking at this cabin for an Alaska trip later this summer. We've done balconies on the Caribe deck on previous trips but considering A746 this time around. Looking for a review on this room since the balcony layout shown on the deck plan on Princess' site doesn't seem to match pictures, descriptions or deck plans on other sites. Has this cabin been added and numbers re-issued? Anyone cruised in this cabin and if so, would you do it again? Looks like it has a one-of-a-kind balcony. I've done a search on this site as well but it appears this cabin number used to be in a different place. Even have my glasses on!
Interesting. It does appear that this cabin has been added to the Star. A quick check of deck plans on other ships does not show a cabin in this location on Aloha deck. It should be a similar balcony to those of B744/B745. Those balconies are larger and fully covered. The balcony opening faces forward and a portion may be windy when the ship is underway. A746 used to be one of the aft pothole ocean view cabins. The old A746 is now apparently A750. Hopefully someone who sails in this cabin is the future will post exact details. Edited by IECalCruiser

We cruised in 2009 in cabin A749 which was one of the port hole cabins. Aside from the port hole (which we hated- to high and not clear enough to se out), the cabin itself had a big problem with noise from the door to the aft pool area. The traffic going in and out of that door never stopped day and night. It is sort of hard to explain but when people went in or out, they let the door slam shut, plus when the wind was right, it would grab the door from people and one didn't have time to close it quietly. We even tried to close it quietly ouselves and couldn't. It was really disturbing whenever we were in the cabin. We actually chose it because of the convenience to the aft pool which we used a lot.

Personally I would not ever choose a cabin in that area again.

We cruised in 2009 in cabin A749 which was one of the port hole cabins. Aside from the port hole (which we hated- to high and not clear enough to se out), the cabin itself had a big problem with noise from the door to the aft pool area. The traffic going in and out of that door never stopped day and night. It is sort of hard to explain but when people went in or out, they let the door slam shut, plus when the wind was right, it would grab the door from people and one didn't have time to close it quietly. We even tried to close it quietly ouselves and couldn't. It was really disturbing whenever we were in the cabin. We actually chose it because of the convenience to the aft pool which we used a lot.

Personally I would not ever choose a cabin in that area again.

I will put in my two cents about the general location. We had A746 on the Sapphire. On the Sapphire and Diamond these rooms have balconies. A746 is the closest cabin to the door to the Terrace Pool area and we had no problem with the door slamming noise. Maybe the door closer was better adjusted but we had no noise problem. We love the terrace pool area and being just a few steps from that area was great. In addition the Horizon Court is just one deck above. We would get food and bring it back to our balcony to enjoy. Each has their own opinion but we thoroughly enjoyed the location.

Those balconies are larger and fully covered. The balcony opening faces forward and a portion may be windy when the ship is underway. .

I don't understand. I just looked at the deck plans for the Sapphire and Star. Star doesn't show any balconies. But on the Sapphire - I'm confused - how does the opening face forward when the cabin is on the aft?

And can people at the pool walk to the back rail and look over at you?

I need to go check out these cabins before we leave the ship sometime - would love to do a B2B so we could walk around and look.

I don't understand. I just looked at the deck plans for the Sapphire and Star. Star doesn't show any balconies. But on the Sapphire - I'm confused - how does the opening face forward when the cabin is on the aft?

And can people at the pool walk to the back rail and look over at you?

I need to go check out these cabins before we leave the ship sometime - would love to do a B2B so we could walk around and look.

A746 on the Star WAS an aft facing ocean view cabin with porthole windows without much of a view. It appears that a new balcony cabin was added on the port side, not aft, and designated as A746. The original aft ocean view cabin was apparent designated as A750.

The aft balconies on the Sapphire and the Diamond are different than the Ruby Riviera deck balconies added during a prior drydock. They are most like the aft side Emerald deck balconies on the Coral/Island which we have had or probably the Sun class balconies. Their balcony opening is the hull of the ship. The hull is angled so the A746 balcony varied from 6 to 9 feet deep and was almost 10 feet wide. We were not in the adjacent cabin A744 but with the hull angle the balcony might vary from 6 to 3 feet deep. I checked it out and the balconies are not visible from the Lido or Sun decks. We had a great view of a pod of as many as 100 dolphins playing in the wake for 15 minutes or more. It wad also fascinating watching the Golden Gate bridge pass by fairly close as we left San Francisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Thanks for the input on the cabin we booked A746 to Alaska. I put a do not upgrade on our reservation I will post pictures after the cruise.

How was the cabin? We're thinking of booking it for Alaska 2014.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Any updates or pictures of A746? We have this booked on the Star in October. It's our first cruise and seemed like a good location but after reading about choosing cabins I'm questioning the choice. From the layout picture it appeared to be a bigger balcony.

Anyone know what is directly above.

I just got off the Star and this cabin. Yes, the balcony is larger and an odd shape. It faces nearly forward to the bow rather than facing out to sea. It is completely enclosed. We liked it. The location near the doors to the aft pool make it easy to go there and up a deck to the buffet. I think you'll like it. The steward was a guy named Attila. He does not appreciate Hun jokes. :) We heard no noise from above at all. That seems to be a table area for the buffet, and it was often closed.

Edited by shredie

• 6 months later...
I just got off the Star and this cabin. Yes, the balcony is larger and an odd shape. It faces nearly forward to the bow rather than facing out to sea. It is completely enclosed. We liked it. The location near the doors to the aft pool make it easy to go there and up a deck to the buffet. I think you'll like it. The steward was a guy named Attila. He does not appreciate Hun jokes. :) We heard no noise from above at all. That seems to be a table area for the buffet, and it was often closed.

Hello! I know this is an old post, but I booked cabin B745 on the Star Princess for an upcoming cruise and am curious as to which direction the bed occupies in the room (when configured as a queen). I saw this post about B744 on the Golden Princess and the poster said his bed was on the forward side of the room, which I *think* means that while lying in the bed one would face aft. I also saw this post from another cruiser who had B745 on the Grand Princess, and mentioned that she "lost a little of the view when we were laying in bed" which again makes me think the bed is on the forward side with the feet pointing aft.

I'm curious because the angled, partially covered balcony of B745 intrigues me, and I think it would be neat to be able to see all the way to the bow from our balcony. However, I'm not sure I'd like to see only bulkhead if I look at the balcony from the bed, if that makes sense. The two posts I linked reference ships other than the Star, but if I understand correctly the Golden has the same deck layout as Star. Not sure if that means the same cabin layout as well.

Caribe deck seems to get positive reviews on CC but I'm not sure about the its partially exposed balconies. My tradeoff would be: pursue C743 or stick with B745 and that fantastic-looking forward view. I generally prefer more privacy but don't love the idea of staring at an outside wall from my bed!

While searching for info on B745 I found this photo, apologies because I forget the original source. if I re-locate the source I will attribute :)

DSC01327.JPG

Edited by undercat

the best rooms are on Baja and Caribe decks. Reason being you have a buffer above and below of decks with rooms. aloha deck has the Horizon court resturant right above it. Need i say more......

Hello! I know this is an old post, but I booked cabin B745 on the Star Princess for an upcoming cruise and am curious as to which direction the bed occupies in the room (when configured as a queen). I saw this post about B744 on the Golden Princess and the poster said his bed was on the forward side of the room, which I *think* means that while lying in the bed one would face aft. I also saw this post from another cruiser who had B745 on the Grand Princess, and mentioned that she "lost a little of the view when we were laying in bed" which again makes me think the bed is on the forward side with the feet pointing aft.

I'm curious because the angled, partially covered balcony of B745 intrigues me, and I think it would be neat to be able to see all the way to the bow from our balcony. However, I'm not sure I'd like to see only bulkhead if I look at the balcony from the bed, if that makes sense. The two posts I linked reference ships other than the Star, but if I understand correctly the Golden has the same deck layout as Star. Not sure if that means the same cabin layout as well.

Caribe deck seems to get positive reviews on CC but I'm not sure about the its partially exposed balconies. My tradeoff would be: pursue C743 or stick with B745 and that fantastic-looking forward view. I generally prefer more privacy but don't love the idea of staring at an outside wall from my bed!

While searching for info on B745 I found this photo, apologies because I forget the original source. if I re-locate the source I will attribute :)

DSC01327.JPG

Eep - my apologies! This is what happens when I have too many browser windows open while furiously researching cabins and am not paying attention. I meant to reply to a thread regarding B745, not A746 - so sorry!!

• 2 months later...

First posting here so saying hello. We are booked in A746 on the port side for the upcoming Alaskan Cruise Departing Whittier on May 23rd. I was looking for more of a picture of the angle of this deck. Hadn't found any good ones until I joined this site. I had been reading the alcohol postings. LOL. and trying to see pictures of what people wore on an Alaskan cruise. Funny to see someone in shorts and a T-shirt standing next to someone wearing a Parka.:D I am hoping to find lots more info while here. This will be my first cruise. Yes a cruise virgin.....Anyway, thanks for the better view of this balcony. It really helped to wrap my brain around an angled deck on a ship. Looking at the deck plan and reading some reviews I thought Aloha deck was the upper room deck. But this picture shows another level of decks. Still confused a bit on that.

Edited by Lakesrider

First posting here so saying hello. We are booked in A746 on the port side for the upcoming Alaskan Cruise Departing Whittier on May 23rd. I was looking for more of a picture of the angle of this deck. Hadn't found any good ones until I joined this site. I had been reading the alcohol postings. LOL. and trying to see pictures of what people wore on an Alaskan cruise. Funny to see someone in shorts and a T-shirt standing next to someone wearing a Parka.:D I am hoping to find lots more info while here. This will be my first cruise. Yes a cruise virgin.....Anyway, thanks for the better view of this balcony. It really helped to wrap my brain around an angled deck on a ship. Looking at the deck plan and reading some reviews I thought Aloha deck was the upper room deck. But this picture shows another level of decks. Still confused a bit on that.

Are you perhaps looking at another ship? Some have an additional deck Riviera, but Star does not.

I guess after re-reading the above picture post that was NOT the Star.

I have seen a few different deck plans for the star that had A746 at the aft end as a porthole room and I had booked a balcony room. Apparently this is a somewhat newly added room and numbers have changed around a bit?

I will take pics and post as well. Another 41 days......

I have seen a few different deck plans for the star that had A746 at the aft end as a porthole room and I had booked a balcony room. Apparently this is a somewhat newly added room and numbers have changed around a bit?

We were on the Star in November 2013. I have a picture of the Aft, port side and A746 is just like the angled one on the picture. Only difference is that both the Aloha Deck and Baja deck cabins have the angled balconies, not just the Baja as in the picture.

Here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5dwyzvoi477969/IMG_0381.JPG?dl=0

Edited by ar1950

As far as I know those type of cabins were only added after the fact on the Crown/Emerald.

Hi Lakesrider! I'm the one who posted that picture in this thread, and can't recall where I found it online. I *think* the photo is of the Star, but it might be one of her sister ships Golden or Grand. The angled-balcony balcony cabin in the photo is B745 on the starboard side. Aloha is the deck right above the angled-balcony cabin. The regular Grand-class ships do not have the Riviera deck, and if you look at the decks in the photo this ship doesn't have Riviera. Neither does Star. The very tip-top of the photo shows the bottom of Lido, and going down from there are Aloha, Baja (with the extended balcony cabin in the cutout), Caribe (with the partially covered decks and the small notch at the back of C743), Dolphin (uncovered balconies) and Emerald (covered balconies). I hope I'm counting these off correctly, but this seems to be the case from my research here on CC.

We were on the Star in November 2013. I have a picture of the Aft, port side and A746 is just like the angled one on the picture. Only difference is that both the Aloha Deck and Baja deck cabins have the angled balconies, not just the Baja as in the picture.

Here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5dwyzvoi477969/IMG_0381.JPG?dl=0

Thank you ar1950 for the photo!

Edited by undercat