No Upgrade fairy?

chocchic

We just received an email offering to upgrade us for $750. Guess there's not an upgrade fairy at O?

What was the original cost difference between your present stateroom and the one you were offered? If it was more than $750, that's the upgrade fairy at work for you! Oceania rarely gives no-cost upgrades, much more likely to offer upsells, but even that doesn't always happen.

Booked our first guarantee ever for our Regatta cruise in July. Also our first O cruise. Allocated a cabin in the GTY grade within a week.....no upgrade fairy for us. Happy with what we have, wouldn't have booked it if we wouldn't have been, but a teeny tiny bit of me was hoping for the fairy to sprinkle some dust:)

Sue

How far in advance of cruise date does Oceania contact passengers about possible upselling? Thx!

Impossible to predict, I'm afraid, because everything depends on how the other cabins on your cruise are selling. We've been approached more than a year out, at six months out and once on the dock as we approached the vessel on sailing day.

Other times not at all...

How far in advance of cruise date does Oceania contact passengers about possible upselling? Thx!

I don't know the answer but I can tell you in our case we were 78 days out from our cruise.

I don't know how it all works but common sense would tell you that if you are booked in a category that is full or filling up, and would be easier for the cruise line to sell before the cruise, and there is unsold inventory above you, then you will get an up sell offer.

I would also think the travel agent you use might have a bit to do with it also. Just guessing here but I'd think Oceania would offer this to their preferred agents first.

I don't know that they make offers first to travel agents, although I suppose it would be much easier to do so rather than going one by one through a passenger list.

However, I've found it very effective to let my TA know that I'm interesting in an upsell. That way he is sure to contact me when one comes along!

Mura

We did not use a TA for our upcoming cruise. We were offered an upsell on our last O cruise and we took it. We received an email. We are watching the catagory above us and if an upsell was offered at the right price, we would take it. Can we contact Oceania and let them know that we are interested or do we have to wait to be offered an upsell?

My opinion only: it's worth a shot.

From what I have read about the efficiency of the customer reps, I'm not impressed! But it can't hurt to ask. And if it means you have to call each and every day, it can be worth it.

When we started out with Renaissance in late 1999, the reps were great. (Renaissance was hostile to travel agents.) Oceania changed that, so you really are better of with a TA that does a lot of Oceania business.

But if you booked direct then I would say, sure, call them and ask! That really is your own option. You never know when the offers will come up so this may mean proactive work on your part.

Mura

No Katz, not on Nautica at that time.

My husband and I WERE on Regatta with Mom back in January 2004 (Panama Canal). In fact we weren't on Nautica until we did the Auckland-Sydney cruise in January 2008, but we MAY well have met somewher else. It's not like my name is exactly common ...

I MAY have been on the 2009 cruise roll call because we've tried several times to do that kind of itinerary ... (P.S. Having just now checked my old records, we WERE booked on that cruise (but not with Mom) ... and we had to cancel.)

So maybe next time we can meet up!

Mura

That must be why your name is familiar. I am probably confusing you with another woman who was part of the roll call. She was also from the city. She was an older single woman traveling with her mother, whom she didn't seem to like very much.

I had originally booked an inside guarantee. I was offered an upsell to a balcony before final payment and let it go.

I then paid my final payment, received my documents with an assigned inside cabin.

About two weeks later I was offered by email another upsell to a B1 balcony again for $500 per person and I took it. I basically received a two-fer price on the balcony in the end.

I thought I did well.

The actual size and layout of Oceania's Oceanview to A1 staterooms is pretty much the same, so I don't think that an upgrade within those categories is as much of a big deal as it would be on a much larger ship with many different sizes and shapes of staterooms available. Location and a verandah for the A & B staterooms is the main difference. We had booked a B4 on the Marina and had been (without notice) "upgraded" to a A4 on our last cruise, same size stateroom, but Concierge amenities. As long as they gave us the same location forward, I didn't care. If they had moved us aft, I would not have been happy.

We have been on only one Oceania cruise and we were offered a 'downgrade'. They offered to move us from the larger OV to the smaller one on the Insignia. We did not take it even though a $1000 refund would have been very nice. We are in an OV on the Marina - so I am not worried about the size of the cabin for our next Oceania cruise.

We have been on only one Oceania cruise and we were offered a 'downgrade'. They offered to move us from the larger OV to the smaller one on the Insignia. We did not take it even though a $1000 refund would have been very nice. We are in an OV on the Marina - so I am not worried about the size of the cabin for our next Oceania cruise.

Was that an Ocean view or obstructed view?

That is quite a discount

Was that an Ocean view or obstructed view?

That is quite a discount

We were booked in a D cabin on deck 3. They wanted to move us to an E cabin (I guess those are obstructed views). There was a large group on board that had a lot of cabins on deck 3. I really enjoy a balcony but with the port intensive itineraries an OV (for the daylight) is OK. The extra money comes in handy for touring in the ports.

We were booked in a D cabin on deck 3. They wanted to move us to an E cabin (I guess those are obstructed views). There was a large group on board that had a lot of cabins on deck 3. I really enjoy a balcony but with the port intensive itineraries an OV (for the daylight) is OK. The extra money comes in handy for touring in the ports.

Ok got it now

Yes E cabins are obstructed on the R ships

Archived