Shore/Tender Question

bizinsider

Hi All Again....!

When we have been on Crystal, we have been able get off immediately on the first tender once anchored -- ahead of the groups?

Same thing on Regent? (Voyager/May.)

Specifically -- Sorrento!

Thanks,

Herb/Mary

Ordinarily, no. But do as Neviboy says and you could get lucky.

You're telling me that groups can get off before non groups? Really? Crystal was always so great about that. We just went to the exit, waited for the anchor to drop (or boat to dock), and got off. No muss, no fuss! But great advice, folks. Thanks!

Normally the Regent tour groups have priority on the tenders. Which makes sense since most people are on Regent tours. However if you have a private tour set up I would suggest you talk to the Destination Services Manager (not the staff) and tell him or her and request "group" treatment...

Thanks, all --

What I'm trying to figure out is this: I can get a private tour of Pompei. Our group tickets say the tour leaves at 8:30. If I could get off the ship at 8 - I could beat the group and get to Pompei (we're talking May) before the crowds. What I don't know, and don't know if ANYBODY knows, is whether there is a tender at 8, which is when the ship is slated to arrive. No idea if it really will get there at 6!

Obviously, if the private and group tours all leave at the same time it would be best to go with the group, though I would suspect the private guide we have been in touch with would assure us a great overview in the limited time.

Decisions, decisions!

Herb/Mary

Thanks, all --

What I'm trying to figure out is this: I can get a private tour of Pompei. Our group tickets say the tour leaves at 8:30. If I could get off the ship at 8 - I could beat the group and get to Pompei (we're talking May) before the crowds. What I don't know, and don't know if ANYBODY knows, is whether there is a tender at 8, which is when the ship is slated to arrive. No idea if it really will get there at 6!

Obviously, if the private and group tours all leave at the same time it would be best to go with the group, though I would suspect the private guide we have been in touch with would assure us a great overview in the limited time.

Decisions, decisions!

Herb/Mary

Ships with most lines are docked and cleared by the stated arrival time. If you have to tender our experience with Regent is that the tours went first and if there was room on the tender for extras they added them on a first come first served basis. If the ship is docked you should be able to get off no later than the stated time and maybe a little earlier.

Ships with most lines are docked and cleared by the stated arrival time. If you have to tender our experience with Regent is that the tours went first and if there was room on the tender for extras they added them on a first come first served basis. If the ship is docked you should be able to get off no later than the stated time and maybe a little earlier.

Interesting post. Our experience has been different. We waited at one port for 2 hours to be cleared (unusual but true) -- it was in Puerto Rico). Apparently there are easy port and difficult ports. On our last two cruises (one in January and one in December 2011), some countries required a face-to-face meeting with their agents. Once we docked, they came on board and waited in the theater for all passengers to appear with their passports. Regent did a good job of getting us through quickly. . . but it obviously caused a delay getting off of the ship. We were told that, due to security, this was happening more and more.

Hope that your experience in Italy will be the kind where you get off early. We be on the Voyager, docking in Sorrento, on May 9th and will report back on CruiseCritic:)

As I recall, Amalfi and sorrento are both tender ports. So after the ship drops anchor, it takes about 30 min or more for the tenders to be put out and the port authorities to come on board to clear the ship. So 8:30 will probably be about when the first tender carrying passengers will leave the ship. Mbut they usually have room for a few independent passengers on each tender after they have boarded the tour groups. You will have to get a tender ticket if you want to get on one of the first tenders.

Archived