What will happen in New York once the Breakaway is done?

canuckgal

I realize nobody knows for sure- I'm just asking for an educated guesstimate- will there still be a Jewel Class ship that sails out of New York, or just the Breakaway? Looking at a Christmas cruise- the 2013 prices are attractive, but 2014 would be better for our life. I know the Breakaway, however, will be a lot pricier-hoping it won't be the only option in 2014.

I realize nobody knows for sure- I'm just asking for an educated guesstimate- will there still be a Jewel Class ship that sails out of New York, or just the Breakaway? Looking at a Christmas cruise- the 2013 prices are attractive, but 2014 would be better for our life. I know the Breakaway, however, will be a lot pricier-hoping it won't be the only option in 2014.

I think recent history has shown consistently that there are two ships out of NYC.

During Summer season, one to Bermuda and one doing the Port Canaveral-Nassau route.

In winter, one stays on the Nassau route and the other does 9 or 10 day Caribbean.

my guess two ships. They are putting the breakaway there as NYC books full much of the year so they see demand for more cabins.

Unless demands goes down I see them keeping two ships. They are getting a pretty big boost the first year PP. The costs are far higher on both ships for 2013 then paid for jewel last year and have the Gem booked for 2012 Christmas this year.

Try the links on the main here to check pricing we got a great deal on it. Over $400 below pp than NCL with OBC to boot

It will be interesting to see what effect Carnival will have on NCL when they bring the Splendor to NYC year round. With Breakaway and Splendor it will be a busy port for it's size not to mention all the other ships that will be using the port during the summer months.

It will be interesting to see what effect Carnival will have on NCL when they bring the Splendor to NYC year round. With Breakaway and Splendor it will be a busy port for it's size not to mention all the other ships that will be using the port during the summer months.

While both the Splendor and Breakaway each hold over 3k people, there is multiple piers that the ships can do to. As long as these two ships dont dock on the same side of the pier, everything should be ok. Ideally, i would love to see the port of NY make good use of the under-used brooklyn terminal

While both the Splendor and Breakaway each hold over 3k people, there is multiple piers that the ships can do to. As long as these two ships dont dock on the same side of the pier, everything should be ok. Ideally, i would love to see the port of NY make good use of the under-used brooklyn terminal

That would be wonderful for a Staten Islander like I am. I must say though, we usually cruise RCCL and LOVE when we get to use Bayonne! So easy...Brooklyn would be SO much better than the city. We are booked on Breakaway July 2013 and dread the drop off to the ship since we have done it for my inlaws and it is a MESS.

It will be interesting indeed. Carnival Corp. has not fared well with earlier attempts at winter cruising from NY. The HAL Noordam tried and failed, as did the Crown Princess. The QM2 only sails from here on a part-time basis, lately going away for the winter on long cruises.

And Celebrity ran the new Silhouette from here for one winter season only, with no plans to field another ship next winter, although parent RCI still has the Explorer all year...

I agree, NCL which is responsible for bringing all year round cruising back to NY after a very long absence, 'owns' NY, and will very likely field two ships as usual........

It also depends on if they intend to retire one of the older ships like the Sky, Spirit, or Sun.

IF they do it won't be until the Getaway is built and there will probably still be two ships in NYC. IIRC NCL promised 2 ships in NYC for at least 2 years after the Breakaway gets there next year.

Sorry for the highjack, but what links? I'm looking to book another trip in 2013 and would to save some $.

Thanks

We are not allowed to post links here to sites selling trips or name them, the home page of this board has the links to 3 TA's, it is under drop down "cruise deals".

You can also look at the top of any page (yes this one) and see the same drop down. The one that starts with x I have gotten the best rates lately.

Archived