Curling Irons, Hair dryers, etc.

Pam in KY

I'm pretty sure irons (for clothing) are already banned and also are confiscated from luggage. I am in total agreement with the banning of smoking in cabins and on balconies. A person is still allowed to smoke on their balcony and if he/she were to toss their cigarette (purely by habit--not intentionally) the wind could pull it right back into someone else's cabin if their door was open. Smoking in public designated places is really the only safe (from smoldering fires) place.

I do have to disagree about the amount of heat that curling irons have. I have been burned on my neck numerous times (long history of curling irons.) And they can and do burn your hair if the hair is wrapped too long.

I would never bring my curling iron with me. And you are probably right in that I should just throw it away.

I'm all for auto switch-off devices. My iron turns off automatically if I walk away from it for a certain time. I will have to take a look and see if I can find a curling iron that does that as well.

I'm pretty sure irons (for clothing) are already banned and also are confiscated from luggage. I am in total agreement with the banning of smoking in cabins and on balconies. A person is still allowed to smoke on their balcony and if he/she were to toss their cigarette (purely by habit--not intentionally) the wind could pull it right back into someone else's cabin if their door was open. Smoking in public designated places is really the only safe (from smoldering fires) place.

I do have to disagree about the amount of heat that curling irons have. I have been burned on my neck numerous times (long history of curling irons.) And they can and do burn your hair if the hair is wrapped too long.

I would never bring my curling iron with me. And you are probably right in that I should just throw it away.

I'm all for auto switch-off devices. My iron turns off automatically if I walk away from it for a certain time. I will have to take a look and see if I can find a curling iron that does that as well.

I have three curling irons & purchased them in our local pharmacy..You can also get them at Amazon, for as little as $18 on up...All of mine have auto=shut off's....Remington is a good one with auto-shutoff:

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Tstudio-Collection-Digital-Ceramic/dp/B003V265QW/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1329556275&sr=1-1

Here's another: http://www.amazon.com/Tournmaline-Ceramic-Curling-Iron-2-Inch/dp/B000O5G0XM/ref=sr_1_7?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1329556564&sr=1-7

My conair has instant heat, auto shut off & is now under $10.00 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Heat-Curling-Iron-1-Inch/dp/B000050B6U/ref=sr_1_12?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1329556564&sr=1-12

Yes agree that an iron too hot will burn your skin, but if it's hot enough to start a fire, doesn't it also burn your hair?

Cheers...Betty

back to the original question, I always bring my own hair dryer. As one poster noted, you don't know if the one in the cabin will be broken but I don't like using blow dryers that are used by others. many of them seem fairly dirty to me. On Zuiderdam and Westerdam, the hair dryer is on a small shelf on the side of the desk, and pre-wired to power. Not sure if it this way on all other HAL ships. The cord was long enough to let me stand at the desk mirror and dry hair. I do find them to not be as powerful as mine.

The best use we have found for it is to dry the clothes we wash in our cabin. A few minutes of blowing warm air through wet/damp clothes really speeds up the drying process!!:)

ML

On Zuiderdam and Westerdam, the hair dryer is on a small shelf on the side of the desk, and pre-wired to power. Not sure if it this way on all other HAL ships.

My memory is that those are the only ships with the hard-wired dryers. Subsequent Vista ships switched to plug-in, and this was continued on the E-dam.

The S- & R-class ships were renovated from hairdryers on the bathroom wall to hand-held. The Prinsendam has hand-held, too.

My memory is that those are the only ships with the hard-wired dryers. Subsequent Vista ships switched to plug-in, and this was continued on the E-dam.

The S- & R-class ships were renovated from hairdryers on the bathroom wall to hand-held. The Prinsendam has hand-held, too.

Ruth

I didn't know that!! We have been on these and Zaandam (I seem to remember the hair dryer being hard-wired there too, but maybe not). Probably a lot more convenient to have them be plug in. I still wouldn't use them but nice to know--I always thought having them hard wired was sort of annoying.

ML

I cannot believe that HAL, which continues to allow smoking on the verandahs, and in my opinion is more of a fire hazard than a curling iron, is going to ban curling irons.

I really think this would be the cause of many complaints among the female guests. I, for one, would have to take my business elsewhere. I need a curling iron every day. And I will not pay the exorbitant prices to go to the salon on a daily basis to have my hair done.

Maybe HAL could start a survey, that would take three years at least, to determine if guests would continue sailing with them if curling irons were banned. And then after three yeras, decide they are allowed. (Does this sound familiar?) LOL

Terri

I cannot believe that HAL, which continues to allow smoking on the verandahs, and in my opinion is more of a fire hazard than a curling iron, is going to ban curling irons.

I really think this would be the cause of many complaints among the female guests. I, for one, would have to take my business elsewhere. I need a curling iron every day. And I will not pay the exorbitant prices to go to the salon on a daily basis to have my hair done.

Maybe HAL could start a survey, that would take three years at least, to determine if guests would continue sailing with them if curling irons were banned. And then after three yeras, decide they are allowed. (Does this sound familiar?) LOL

Terri

Oh No. Not another survey..:D:D:D

I think the confiscation of curling irons is strictly a rumor & may have been perpetrated by someone who believes that curling irons are dangerous & should be banned...LOL:D:D

Cheers...:)Betty

Archived