Curling Irons, Hair dryers, etc.

Pam in KY

Discussion today on Holland America's Facebook site about curling irons and hair dryers being taken on some ships and not on others. Has anyone experienced this recently or know the policy on this. I'm planning on taking an hot air brush and would like to know if it is okay. I don't mind if they take it but don't want the delay with the luggage.

Seeing that HAL provides hair blowers in every cabin, most of us don't need to even bring one but if you are worried their's will not suit your needs, it seems safe to say they are permitted if they themselves put them in cabins.

The hair dryers aren't that 'powerful', just sort of blew my hair around and didn't do much else. Glad I brought my own. I've learned to always bring my own dryer. Most just aren't that powerful and I've encountered hotels that don't have one in the room and also some that were broken. Found one that works great and is also light (Revlon 1875 watt/Ionic-pink in color). I don't leave home w/o it!

Ok...I'll go on and back my hot air brush and maybe even my hair dryer! Thanks!!!

Pam....all HAL cabins come with hairdryers, so you may not want to lug yours with you. I was satisfied with the hairdryers on board, and I'm usually VERY picky with my hair, certain brush, certain, hair gel, certain hairspray, and so on....LOL

The hair dryer in our cabin was hooked up by the television??

She could also not plug hers in the bathroom socket. Hairdryers come with those big plugs and it wont fit in the bathroom, that probably why the provided one is by the TV. Duh.:confused:

I have never read a report on this board alleging that HAL took any hair implements. To my knowledge, there has never been a mention that hair dryers, curling irons, hair flat irons, or hot rollers were ever a problem for anyone.

Curling irons have caused house fires. I'd prefer that HAL not allow them.

IMO your statement is not based on fact.. Since when do curling irons cause house fires..First of all curling irons do not get that hot..Your hair would burn if it was hot enough to cause a fire..Secondly, your own U.S. made curling irons plug into the 110 socket at the desk/dressing table..There are no plugs by the couch, curtains or beds on HAL..Curling irons today are made with an auto shut off! (required by law) If you don't pick it up within a set amount of time it will shut down..I've been using a curling iron for years & always bring mine on board..

The hair dryer in our cabin was hooked up by the television??

She could also not plug hers in the bathroom socket. Hairdryers come with those big plugs and it wont fit in the bathroom, that probably why the provided one is by the TV. Duh.:confused:

What ship were you on? Don't understand what outlet your better half was trying to use..The bathroom plugs are usually only for shavers.. HAL's hair dryers plug into the European outlet at the desk/dressing table..I stopped bringing my own hair dryer, many years ago..

If your cabin does not have a dryer, (it's in the side cabinet at the desk on the NA) ask your Steward for one! If you don't know how to plug it in your Steward will show you..IMO it's quite powerful...

cheers...:)Betty

I have never read a report on this board alleging that HAL took any hair implements. To my knowledge, there has never been a mention that hair dryers, curling irons, hair flat irons, or hot rollers were ever a problem for anyone.

If they ever do ban such items I can see HAL cruises being men only cruises. There are some things a woman will just not do without for any reason nohow.:)

On my last cruise, a year and a half ago on the Westerdam, the only dryer in the cabin was hard wired inside a drawer. I'm 5'9" and just am not comfortable drying my hair sitting down. The cord was not long enough for me to dry my hair standing up. I contacted the front desk and they were able to provide a standard hair dryer for me to use during the cruise. I was under the impression that these were being phased out so I will be going back to taking my own, and a flat iron. Formal night will NOT be a pretty sight of we are all deprived of our glamour tools!

The discussion started on face book's Hal site. Someone had posted that she heard that hair straighteners were not allowed. Someone posted on the Facebook Hal site that they were told on the Wsterdam last week that curling irons were not allowed. Another member is corresponding with Hal about the issue. As I understand it, she is expecting a list of "not allowed" items tomorrow. As here, there have also been many posts saying they have taken their curling irons. I just would like to know since I have to pack tomorrow. As I said in my original post, I would like to have it but it's not worth having my luggage delayed...

The discussion started on face book's Hal site. Someone had posted that she heard that hair straighteners were not allowed. Someone posted on the Facebook Hal site that they were told on the Wsterdam last week that curling irons were not allowed. Another member is corresponding with Hal about the issue. As I understand it, she is expecting a list of "not allowed" items tomorrow. As here, there have also been many posts saying they have taken their curling irons. I just would like to know since I have to pack tomorrow. As I said in my original post, I would like to have it but it's not worth having my luggage delayed...

I really don't think it would 'hold' up your luggage,but, if you are worried - if you have access to your luggage prior to boarding HAL, transfer it to your carry on. If it isn't permitted they will tell you in one heck of a hurry;) a number who have posted here are frequent cruisers and not had issues. Very possibly someone was told the wrong thing by Seattle (perhaps they just heard iron not curling iron). Go and ahead and pack and have a great, worry free cruise:D

IMO your statement is not based on fact.. Since when do curling irons cause house fires..First of all curling irons do not get that hot..Your hair would burn if it was hot enough to cause a fire..Secondly, your own U.S. made curling irons plug into the 110 socket at the desk/dressing table..There are no plugs by the couch, curtains or beds on HAL..Curling irons today are made with an auto shut off! (required by law) If you don't pick it up within a set amount of time it will shut down..I've been using a curling iron for years & always bring mine on board..[/size=3]

That was the cause of a fire in a nearby neighborhood. A curling iron or some similar hair device was left unattended. This was not more than a few years ago so, if correct, the implement would have had safety features.

IMO your statement is not based on fact.. Since when do curling irons cause house fires..First of all curling irons do not get that hot..Your hair would burn if it was hot enough to cause a fire.

Apparently it does happen.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/breakingnews/2012/01/firefighters-on-scene-of-deland-duplex-blaze.html

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2010/12/house_fire_blamed_on_curling_i.html

I did see a post about it in the past week, and I can't for the life of me remember where :confused: It may have been on the RCI board but wherever, it definitely mentioned HAL confiscating a curling iron, and I thought uh -oh, I'm in trouble - won't be able to put my head outside my cabin door without it:eek: and I just hope mine will get past security.

I have a curling iron but rarely use it. It does NOT have a safety shut-off either. I would consider them to be dangerous, equally as dangerous as an iron. What did you ladies use before there were curling irons or flat iron straighteners? I'm just guessing but I'd think a good, strong hairdryer and a round bristle brush could be a fair substitute. And there is always the hair salon on the ship for your formal nights. I am a real nervous Nelly about fires on ships. I really would prefer if they were not allowed.

Both of these articles say the fire is believed to have been started by a curling iron..One is still under investigation..The first one quotes the Mother who stated "she believed" her daughters curling iron caused the fire..How does the Mother know that faulty electrical wiring in the house walls, did not start a fire?

I still maintain that the possibility of a curling iron causing a fire on board a ship is remote.. If the curling iron was that hot, your hair would be singed..

ON HAL the desk is the only place where you can plug in a curling iron & there are no curtains, bed clothes nearby to catch fire..

OK, one poster stated that her curling Iron did not have an auto shut off..IMO that curling iron should be banned on a ship..

What about Psgrs who use a portable flat iron to iron clothes on the beds..:eek::eek:That really frightens me! I believe clothes irons should be banned..What about lights on Christmas trees on board..Should they be banned too?

DH was a volunteer fireman & many house fires were caused by faulty electrical wiring/equipment, cigarette smoking & people who left food cooking & unattended on the stove..

IMO, all cruise lines should ban smoking in cabins & on balconies.. Oceania, has only two places on board where smoking is permitted..If one violates their rules, "O" will put the offending Psgr. off their ships if caught smoking in cabins/balcony's..:):) Yeah!

See

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=509662&highlight=couples+only&page=4

Check out: Cruise Critic- Post Number 61: Dated Mar 20. 2007 Caliber35 "Thrown off the ship! "

I'm more afraid of someone starting a fire with cigarettes or a clothes iron than a curling iron..

JMO..Cheers..:)Betty

I find it hard to believe HAL, or any other major cruise line for that matter, has or is going to take away hairdryers and curling irons. We often add days to our cruises for land travel and I can tell you Mrs. K is going to have her dryer and curling iron with her. I also can't imagine the logistical nightmare a cruise line would have taking, storing, and returning these items. You start eliminating electrical devices that potentially can start a fire and you're going to have to take laptops, tablets, battery chargers, cell phones, and just about anything that has to be plugged in to charge or work. That's just not going to happen. I'll bet you can find an article where any one of these items has or is suspected of causing a fire, it's the nature of electricity and shorts or overheating or whatever.

Archived