Hallways on Riviera?

ladyoftheoaks

How wide are the hallways on Riviera? Is it preferrable to have a cabin that is not opposite the inside cabins? Is there any privacy issue? How important is it to have a center ship cabin in terms of motion sickness?

You don't have to worry about being opposite an inside cabin UNLESS that inside cabin happens to be the laundry room! It's not a big deal on the bigger ships, but on the smaller ones it is a concern.

Hallways are around 4.5 to 5' wide. They have to be wide enough for electric carts and walkers to pass.

As to the doors across from the laundry, I was worried about that because we were directly across from the laundry door, but it was not a problem. Marina and Riviera have laundry facilities on each floor, and they access from both port and starboard, so there is not a large amount of traffic to/from the laundry, like on the R ships. And there are not very many interior rooms on Marina/Riviera, so that is not really an issue either.

The only noise comment I heard was that some of the people in cabins across from the crew gangway doors did notice some noise. Those doors are much more actively operated than either laundry or interior cabin doors. However, the people who noted this indicated it was not a problem for them, just an observation.

Hope that helps.

Do you know how wide the hallways are approximately? Thanks.

On the Oceania class ships I am guessing they are about 4-5ft wide

DH & i can walk side by side with no problem

Maybe FDR can measure them in his spare time ;)

Lyn

Got to remember to pack my tape measure next trip:D

Yes, there is a specific concern. I have been offered two cabins--one more central but across from the interior rooms. I have reserved that one but want to be sure there is no privacy or noise issue with that location. Yes, I am a worry-wort...I appreciate all the replies including yours. Thank you!

If you were to look at deck plans, you will note that most of the inside cabins are accessed from the interconnecting hallway running from port to starboard. I may be wrong, but I do not recall "insides" that open on to the bow to stern hallways.

In any event, I think it safe to say that rarely does one cabin door open directly into the corridor, and faces directly into another cabin exactly opposite......(The designers have allowed for privacy issues)

And I have never measured the width of the hallways, but you can be assured that two people can easily pass by earch other going in opposite directions.

Hope all this helps.....

Yes, there is a specific concern. I have been offered two cabins--one more central but across from the interior rooms. I have reserved that one but want to be sure there is no privacy or noise issue with that location. Yes, I am a worry-wort...I appreciate all the replies including yours. Thank you!

I would think if there are any noise issues, it would come from one of your immediate neighbors, not from across the hallway.

Perhaps you are new to cruising, but in 95% of the cruise ship

cabins that I have ever seen, the bathroom and wardrobes are positioned so that they will shield the cabin from corridor noise.

Oceania is lucky in that they attract an older, wiser, more settled type of clientele, so there is even less chance of your being disturbed.

We've never heard so much as a sneeze from an adjoining cabin, and Stan can be persnickety .

We have NEVER had a problem with noise from neighboring cabins on Oceania ships -- well, sometimes we have heard a toilet flushing from next door because the bathrooms back up to each other (alternately).

When we were on Regatta way back when we had two cruises where our cabin was opposite the laundry rooms and we had to open our door to hear any noise at all. And what noise occurred from people in the hallway because there wasn't room in the LAUNDRY room.

You will NOT hear noise from people across the aisle, I guarantee it.

Okay, our one Marina cruise was in an absolutely front cabin where no one was "opposite" us, so that doesn't count. But I cannot believe you would have a problem.

Midships is always better if you are sensitive to motion. I am! But I've been in far forward cabins on 2-3 occasions where it wasn't a problem, and we've been midships where it was. It depends on your itinerary and the sea conditions. The North Sea was the worst we have encountered.

Mura

I just want to add regarding the width of the hallways...

When I had to use a wheelchair to get to the dining room, it was very tight quarters when the cleaning staff had their carts in the aisles. But we could always just squeeze by.

The aisles are not enormous ... but they are wide enough for most purposes!

Mura

I just want to add regarding the width of the hallways...

When I had to use a wheelchair to get to the dining room, it was very tight quarters when the cleaning staff had their carts in the aisles. But we could always just squeeze by.

The aisles are not enormous ... but they are wide enough for most purposes!

Mura

They are wider on the Oceania class ships then the R-class ships

It's funny, Lyn, it didn't seem that way to me! And of course I only used a wheelchair on one cruise on Regatta. Maybe the carts on the Oceania class ships are bigger than the ones they use on the "R" ships!

Still, the real point is that you shouldn't hear any noise from a cabin across the hall.

Mura

The hallways are plenty wide enough but beware if you are tall ! My 6'6" husband had to duck constantly to avoid hitting his head on Exit signs, sprinklers etc, a problem he has never had on numerous other cruise lines - don't even get me started on the ridiculous height of the shower in the verandah cabins !

I wouldn't worry about noise from adjoining cabins, or a cabin that might be across the passageway. You won't hear any noise from another cabin that will be bothersome. The inside cabins on the Marina class ships do have doors that open to the main passageway, but other than maybe hearing a nearby door close, you won't hear anything.

Archived