solo how does Holland handle table assignments

traveled

LOL--thats what I thought when I read that post. But no one else said anything so I figured I was just losing my mind!!:D Then I read some other posts and decided what he meant was the Roll Call.

ML

Cool NoWhiners - good explanation. I didn't realize the OP had already selected a particular cruise. Ah well. Live and learn.;)

I meet people on the cruise then dine with them. This is includes from CC or from excursions. Or, I ask for a table with 6 people maybe even 8.

Since there have been situations where I have intentionally avoided repeat meals with some pax, I am not interested in fixed dining.

My one experience with being seated with 'singles' was abysmal. It was AYW and they held all the meals until they could find enough singles to fill the table. I left.

Well, I have not cruised alone but should the day come that either of us finds that we are alone, I know that we each would want the other to continue to enjoy life and travel.

As for me, I'd get a cozy cabin, bring lots to read on my Nook, bring my knitting and, most of all, a positive attitude.

I'd make sure I was seated at a friendly table, go to the singles' events and book some fun tours. I'd enjoy the sun and the ocean, go to the shows, and make a few new friends (hopefully). I say good for you!! Have a great time.

Donder1 - you have a great outlook!

LOL--thats what I thought when I read that post. But no one else said anything so I figured I was just losing my mind!!:D Then I read some other posts and decided what he meant was the Roll Call.

ML

This thread was moved from "Ask a Cruise Question." I guess the mods decided it belonged on the HAL board,since the OP's question was cruise line specific.

However, a lot of this info could apply to other lines. Lois R ( that I mentioned) likes Celebrity. I will say this both lines' personnel treats cruisers very well.

This thread was moved from "Ask a Cruise Question." I guess the mods decided it belonged on the HAL board,since the OP's question was cruise line specific.

However, a lot of this info could apply to other lines. Lois R ( that I mentioned) likes Celebrity. I will say this both lines' personnel treats cruisers very well.

wow--didn't know this. Don't the threads usually say they were moved? I never saw it on the other board but this explains a lot. Glad I am not losing my mind and thanks for the clarification.

ML

wow--didn't know this. Don't the threads usually say they were moved? I never saw it on the other board but this explains a lot. Glad I am not losing my mind and thanks for the clarification.

ML

Yes they do-new mod doing things differently? I haven't been to the HAL board in almost 2 years-only see this in my notifications at user CP-as I had posted on it

Hi Traveled!

All of my sailings on HAL were as solo and with one exception, HAL handles table assignments for solo cruises in a positive manner.

When I book, I prefer late fixed dining and larger tables (at least six or eight people). Since I book solo, HAL has placed me with other solo cruises except one time.

The first sailing as a solo was a very unpleasant experience. There was a tablemate who felt that I didn't "belong" at his table or the cruise. After the second night of dealing with this person, I end up eating in the Lido. I didn't know that all I had do was ask the dining room manager to move me from that table to another one. Lesson learn. If the vibe of the table is not to your liking, request a move! I also gain some great tablemates on my last Maasdam cruise because of this! The vibe was not great towards them and they requested a move. Our table got even better!

On my third solo cruise, HAL used me as a filler on table with two families. I was worried being a solo at this table, but loved it! I end up doing a tour with one family and still email them! I had other solo cruisers who told me there were open seats at their table and invited me to join them, but I enjoyed the table.

The other sailings were tables with all solos and we had a blast. In fact one of the ladies that I met on my second cruise, we have sailed on two other HAL cruises and shared a dining table.

One of the highlights of my HAL sailings is the dining and have met so many great people. I've dined with artist, World War II vets, die hard cruisers,etc.

I never had to slip a twenty to get these great tables, nor feel the need to.

Also, go to the solo lunch that HAL offers. I've met so many great solo cruisers at this. I never forget on the Westerdam cruise there were so many solo cruisers that they had to keep adding tables!

Have fun and enjoy your sailing!

All but 2 of my HAL cruises have been solo, and I've had a wide range of experiences as far as tablemates. HAL doesn't seem to have a set way of handling singles. I think sometimes they use us to fill in tables, which isn't bad, I'm just saying that's what they do.

The worst table I had was a group of all singles. By that I mean no one was married, but there were 2 couples and an older widowed lady and myself. The couples made me feel like a fifth wheel. Had the cruise been longer than 7 days, I would have asked to be moved or just eaten in the Lido. After that I experimented with on demand dining on my next 2 cruises and it was an interesting experience, mostly good.

Roz

Archived