solo how does Holland handle table assignments

traveled

I am trying to get enough courage to go solo. I am a widow and I want to travel but I am scared. Please help with answers on how Holland handles solo older travelers.

As suggested, HAL board will get you the best info.

Also, do not be scared. You will find that a cruise going solo on a line like HAL will be great. After doing your research, book your cruise, get on your ship's roll call, start making acquaintances there, and plan on having a great time.

I am trying to get enough courage to go solo. I am a widow and I want to travel but I am scared. Please help with answers on how Holland handles solo older travelers.

I have never figured out how HAL assigns people/tables. I've have very nice tablemates, some more interesting than others but never a bad mix. But if you are assigned a table that you don't like, just tell the maitre'd and he'll move you.

When I sailed on HAL a few years ago with my widowed girlfriend, we were seated at a 6-top with another widow and widower, not traveling together. (Another seat was taken a few days later by another widower but that's another story.)

I have never figured out how HAL assigns people/tables. I've have very nice tablemates, some more interesting than others but never a bad mix. But if you are assigned a table that you don't like, just tell the maitre'd and he'll move you.

When I sailed on HAL a few years ago with my widowed girlfriend, we were seated at a 6-top with another widow and widower, not traveling together. (Another seat was taken a few days later by another widower but that's another story.)

I suggest the OP go to the MDR upon boarding. Meet the Maitre D, introduce herself, tell him about herself, and what she would desire as tablemates, slip him a twenty, and all should be taken care of.

Very easy to do.

I agree you should speak with the Dining Room Manager (formerly known as Maitre d' on HAL ships) but in advance of that, when you make your booking ask for a large table, fixed Traditional Dining, early (confirm but I think that is 6:45 P.M.) or Main (8:00 P.M) so you will be seated at the same table with the same people each night. If you go with Flex Dining, you will not usually be at the same table and it will usually be new people each evening.

In the event you don't care for the folks at your table, don't suffer in silence. Speak with Dining Room Manager and ask for a table change.

You should do fine sailing solo on HAL. Many men and women do so and seeing how often some cruise, they must be having a good time.

Come on over to the HAL section of CC and hopefully we can help you with specific to HAL issues. :)

Many people travel solo and two posters I post to frequently LoisR. and Beth/(I love Scotland) cruise solo. Both women say this is the safest way to go solo and they never feel lonely.

I can also recommend land tours as we had several widows, divorcee's, and even 1 bachelor man traveling solo when we took our France tour. We all had a good time and we have stayed in touch with 2 of the widows.

As far as HAL, we had a lawyer we ate dinner with twice that was cruising solo on our last HAL cruise. We had anytime dining. Both times we were at a large table when he happened to be our tablemate. He was very friendly and we enjoyed his company very much. He was a bachelor and he told us he used to cruise with his mother before she passed.

Momofmeg was he a confirmed bahelor. Kidding, but my mother used to say that and I have never understood what it means. Back to the post, on our last cruise in Oct. we had a very large roll call and the solo's got a table together and had a great time they really hit it off . They were a great group and some of the nicest people we have met while cruising.

That';s an excellent suggest, dolittle.

OP....... If you wish to 'get to know' some folks who will be on your cruise in advance, you might find the Roll Call for your cruise is active and you could participate before you even leave home.

It is hit or miss if one cruise might have a lot of people participating in the Roll Call or not many at all. It varies a great deal.

Momofmeg was he a confirmed bahelor. Kidding, but my mother used to say that and I have never understood what it means. Back to the post, on our last cruise in Oct. we had a very large roll call and the solo's got a table together and had a great time they really hit it off . They were a great group and some of the nicest people we have met while cruising.

Yes, he was-if you mean what I think you mean. Very nice fellow.

You will get more and better info if you ask this on the HAL board.

Cruiserbruce, I know that you are trying to be helpful when directing folks to other sites. I often see this advice from you. But, I think that this fairly new poster was also asking what it is like to be a single traveler on a cruise.

Well, I have not cruised alone but should the day come that either of us finds that we are alone, I know that we each would want the other to continue to enjoy life and travel.

As for me, I'd get a cozy cabin, bring lots to read on my Nook, bring my knitting and, most of all, a positive attitude.

I'd make sure I was seated at a friendly table, go to the singles' events and book some fun tours. I'd enjoy the sun and the ocean, go to the shows, and make a few new friends (hopefully). I say good for you!! Have a great time.

I cruised "solo" out of Tampa in December 2010. Loved it! I prefer to eat alone, so when I boarded the ship, went to the main dining room and pick-ed out a couple of tables for two. There are waiters around who will give you the table numbers. I then went to the Ma't'de in the Explorers Lounge and requested those table that were empty at my preferred time. Worked out great. The table was off to the side and out of the general traffic area, so I wouldn't feel akward. It was great - don't forget to tip your waiter and they will remember you.

On formal night, didn't feel like getting dressed up so I had room service.

Didn't feel strange traveling solo, got to read some great books and relax on my Verandah. There are so many people on the ships you won't stand out, and if you do want to be in the company of other people, try joining "trivial pursuit" they will pair you up with other people.

Joe

I've been cruising solo for 10 years. I've always had a great time.

One perk--you don't need to compromise when making plans. I just returned from a 30 day cruise and I had plenty of people to talk to and made some really good acquaintances. Have courage! You will get the hang of going solo the more you do it. Sarina

A cruise vacation is probably the best situation for a solo, older cruiser. Once you're on that ship, you can just enjoy whatever you'd like to do. There are so many activities to choose from that people come to alone and it's easy to chat and connect...or, just do your own thing. I've found such friendly folks of all ages, most people enjoy sharing where they're from, where they've been, past cruises, etc. As far as eating, joining a table in the dining room for breakfast, lunch, even tea gives you the opportunity to meet even more people. You might be comfortable with early or late dinner at a specific table where you get to be with the same folks every night. I actually found I prefer the flexibility of the open seating option. By being open and friendly, asking questions of others, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Be brave and take the plunge! You will open up many opportunities!

I suggest the OP go to the MDR upon boarding. Meet the Maitre D, introduce herself, tell him about herself, and what she would desire as tablemates, slip him a twenty, and all should be taken care of.

Very easy to do.

Personally, as a solo diner, I wouldn't feel the need to resort to a bribe in order to obtain a preferred dining assignment! ;) And how could the DRM possibly be able to keep track of all the solo diners in the MDR? :confused:

Personally, as a solo diner, I wouldn't feel the need to resort to a bribe in order to obtain a preferred dining assignment! ;) And how could the DRM possibly be able to keep track of all the solo diners in the MDR? :confused:

I, of planet earth, and having been a host, know how the game is played.

A good host knows the players. The good, the bad, and the evil.

Those that take care of the host get the good. Better tables, free drinks, better company, better service. Consider that their entire livelihood depends on it!

Those that tip get the preferential treatment.

And dem is da facts.

Those that take care of the host get the good. Better tables, free drinks, better company, better service. Consider that their entire livelihood depends on it!

And dem is da facts.

Facts? I have always got great service on HAL without resorting to brides. I think you may think that you do because of bribing-but in essence you would have got it anyway.

Now we do tip extra to those we felt went beyond their call of duty in helping us.

Hi

do not be afraid or worried, I went solo last year Hal 14 day cruise. It was wonderful ( friend got sick before the cruise) It was so wonderful I am going back again this year. Where are you going? I went to Alaska (14 day Amsterdam) You will LOVE having the room to yourself. I got a table for 8.. do not make mistake I did go to solo partiesIts not for pick ups or dating you may have someone to walk around town with or have a drink.

My first night I had a table for 6 I was first one there. A young couple came and sat down I said hi I am Mary and Iam from Ma. She saud We are from Florida (rather frosty)I ate my meal in silence. I thought oh this is going to be horrible cruise. I call my waiter over over and told him and he got his boss.He cme over and I told him my story.He said wait a few minutes and he came back and had a table for me. It was a table for 8. It was a great table. so speak up

And dem is da facts.

Gee, we've never had to tip in advance to get a wonderful table, fabulous tablemates and amazing servers on HAL. Ever.

OP -- my first venture into the real world after my DH died was a cruise. It was a wonderful way to travel "alone" and yet not be alone. I had a great dining table, with 2 widows and a family, and we all got along really well. We even ended up doing stuff on shore together.

I'd recommend, too, that you book shore excursions through the ship, at least for your first cruise. You will meet other solos and singles, and friendly groups, that way.

And if you are in the Lido and see a person wandering around looking for a place to sit, invite them to join you. We've met some great people that way. (Though not all of them have been great, if you know what I mean ;) )

You can do this. It'll be different, but you can do this.

I'm a 3 star mariner and have always cruised solo. It's terrific. You've had some great advice here.

I prefer the fixed seating just so I get to know my table mates better, and the wait staff as well. I try for a table of six or preferably eight, and I usually go to see the Dining Room Manager the first day to check out my table mates. I'd actually rather not sit at a table of singles.

As others have said, don't be afraid to go to the DRM if you don't find your table mates compatible. I've only had to do that twice, thank goodness, but the DRM took very good care of me (and without a tip in advance!).

Joining in the trivia and bingo games has given me chances to meet lots of folks. I also haunt the cooking demos. They're lots of fun.

If you "imbibe", I've found it best to just sit at the bar the first few nights. The bartenders are used to it and keep you company until you get to know other passengers.

I usually have room service at least one night. Guess I'm a bit of an introvert and need that alone time. HAL has a really great DVD collection. I usually order a couple brought to my room early in the cruise.

Just take a deep breath and then prepare to have a really great time!

Go for it! I sail solo and love it. Only on one cruise, a TA on the Noordam, was I placed at a table with all solo cruisers. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as when I was in "mixed" company. I was alone with two married couples on the Maasdam in '10 and we got along so well, three of us traveled across the country for a reunion! On the Rotterdam, two of us solo women were at a table with two married couples. It was delightful. I sailed again with one of the couples this past fall for 45 days! People are wonderful, generally. After more than 300 days at sea, I've yet to be seated with a real "stinker," but if I were, I'd head right to the dining room manager and ask for a change of seating, even if I had to switch from early to late traditional. In April I have four tablemates from varying cruises coming to visit me! I prefer a table for six. It works well for me and makes conversation easier.:D

I am confused. Are we not on the HAL Board?

LOL--thats what I thought when I read that post. But no one else said anything so I figured I was just losing my mind!!:D Then I read some other posts and decided what he meant was the Roll Call.

ML

Archived