Shipwreck operator says victim of miscarriage scam

Royalty X

I don't know if this has been reported or not...

"The company has confirmed that neither the woman nor her husband was on the Costa Concordia's guest list," Costa Crociere said in a statement, referring to a couple who had asked for 1.0 million euros ($1.3 million) in damages.

Costa Crociere said it "intends to file a complaint with the legal authorities and that it will take similar action in response to any similar scams or attempts at profiteering in the wake of the Concordia tragedy.

"The woman was purportedly five months pregnant when she went on the cruise and lost her baby several days after escaping the stranded ship off the coast of the island of Giglio," the company said.

It said an Italian television programme "investigated the claims and discovered that the whole story was in fact made up: the couple were using false identities and neither of them had been on board".

The Costa Concordia luxury liner crashed into a reef off the Tuscan island of Giglio on January 13 with 4,229 people from 60 countries on board. Thirty-two people were killed as the ship keeled over in the night.

Dozens of survivors have launched lawsuits against Costa Crociere and its US parent company Carnival Corp in France, Germany and the United States.

Thirty-nine survivors on Tuesday amended a lawsuit in Carnival's home state of Florida, seeking more than half a billion dollars in damages.

Costa Crociere has offered uninjured passengers 11,000 euros each plus expenses as compensation

This is really starting to make me angry! Yes, someone (the Captain?) messed up and there was a major disaster. But the people that are suing for ridiculous amounts of money (around 35 passengers suing for 460 million euros was tha official amount I heard reported previously) are just greedy opportunists! Plus you get all the scam artists coming out of the woodwork. What the hell is wrong with some people...? :mad:

Normally I would agree with you But

A) There should be no ? next to the Captain messing up. There should be a special place in hell for him.

B) Over 30 innocent people lost their lives due to a wholly preventable error.

C) Carnival Inc (which I normally defend) allowed this idiot control and surrounded him with gutless cowards.

This is what I'm thinking about.

So no I really don't care about some vermin trying to profit from this horror.

Remember, people like this are sentenced to live with themselves forever.

Yep....low lifes everywhere. As for them having to live the rest of their lives with what they have tried to do - won't happen....otherwise they wouldn't have tried it in the first place. The only winners in the up coming "legal stouch" will be the lawyers. The greedier people get..the more money the lawyer makes. I am not for one second demaning in anyway the dreadful trauma and hurt suffered by the people on board. Unfortunatly there's always someone on the make

Normally I would agree with you But

A) There should be no ? next to the Captain messing up. There should be a special place in hell for him.

B) Over 30 innocent people lost their lives due to a wholly preventable error.

C) Carnival Inc (which I normally defend) allowed this idiot control and surrounded him with gutless cowards.

This is what I'm thinking about.

So no I really don't care about some vermin trying to profit from this horror.

Remember, people like this are sentenced to live with themselves forever.

Agreed as long as you add that anyone pretending to lose a baby in order to profit belong right aside Captain Coward. That's just sick. It's like pretending you have cancer. Karma will get people like that in the end.

I don't know if this has been reported or not...This is really starting to make me angry! Yes, someone (the Captain?) messed up and there was a major disaster. But the people that are suing for ridiculous amounts of money (around 35 passengers suing for 460 million euros was tha official amount I heard reported previously) are just greedy opportunists! Plus you get all the scam artists coming out of the woodwork. What the hell is wrong with some people...? :mad:

If you look back in history, whenever there is a tragedy, there will always be people who will try to line their pockets and feed off of the misfortune of others. I can think of the World Trade Center and Hurricane Katrina and all the fraud and false reports that ensued immediately following the disasters. Does that mean that the real victims should have their claim amounts reduced accordingly? Absolutely not.

I believe many passengers on the Concordia, while they did not lose their lives, suffered tremendous anguish and mental stress for hours, not knowing if they were going to live or die. Many were also physically injured and many more lost precious possessions. The psychological trauma alone merits just compensation, whether it is thousands or millions, that is up for the courts to decide.

Archived