Guaranteed cabin category-when do we find out the cabin #?

RedSox5

If you read the board, you will see this question asked regularly. The answer is anywhere from at the pier, to about 25 days prior to sailing.

I always wonder when people commit the amount of money required for a cruise, without knowing when a key piece of info like this might be forthcoming.

Generally guarantee assignments start at about 21 days out and continue right down to embarkation day, with the curve peaking at about 10 or 11 days out. Start checking your My Account > My Reservations info about 18 days out. :)

If you read the board, you will see this question asked regularly. The answer is anywhere from at the pier, to about 25 days prior to sailing.

I always wonder when people commit the amount of money required for a cruise, without knowing when a key piece of info like this might be forthcoming.

Thanks for the info. regarding the cabins.

Wasn't necessarily looking for financial advice, but thanks anyhow.

We usually book guarantees and have not been assigned earlier than two weeks out. It was 10 days for the last cruise.
We've done 8 gtys, and all but two assignments came either 10 or 11 days out. The other two were at 18 and 3.

Even after your cabin has been assigned, it's still possible to be reassigned with an even better cabin as your sail date gets closer. We've had that happen. Don't expect it, but it's possible:)
Yup, happened to us once. Between the initial upgrade and the re-assignment upgrade we went up 16 steps, from an H to a V on the Nieuw A. The initial assignment came 10 days out and the re-assignment 3 days out. :D

CruiserBruce,this is a confusing response to RedSox. When people book a guarantee, they are usually trying to save money. Of course those of us who book these cabins are anxiously waiting for an assignment. Why make someone feel bad about asking a question on these boards?

CruiserBruce,this is a confusing response to RedSox. When people book a guarantee, they are usually trying to save money. Of course those of us who book these cabins are anxiously waiting for an assignment. Why make someone feel bad about asking a question on these boards?

Thank you- my thoughts exactly. Wasn't prepared to spend a few extra hundred just to know our cabin number now as opposed to in a month or two.

Thank you- my thoughts exactly. Wasn't prepared to spend a few extra hundred just to know our cabin number now as opposed to in a month or two.
I see you've done several Celebrity and RCCL cruises. Have you done guarantees on them, and if yes, when do they do their assignments?

I see you've done several Celebrity and RCCL cruises. Have you done guarantees on them, and if yes, when do they do their assignments?

No we haven't done the guarantees on Celebrity and RCCL. Wouldn't have done it this time around, but it was the only option for the category we wanted and I wasn't willing to pay more just to know the cabin number.

I'm still wondering how this is a key piece of information:confused:.

I was trying to say that it seems odd to spend a lot of money for something, and not know the details when you commit. I understand that you can save some money by taking a GTY. I understand you can get a much better cabin than the level you you pay for. I have been cruising for 20 years, so I understand all that.

What I don't understand is, given the unknowns involved, why a buyer doesn't know, or ask when buying, when the assignment comes. I would think the buyer would want to nail down as many details as possible given the many variables involved, and "when" is sort of important.

I was not trying to give the OP financial advice. But, as this question gets asked several times a week, it lead to my question.

No we haven't done the guarantees on Celebrity and RCCL. Wouldn't have done it this time around, but it was the only option for the category we wanted and I wasn't willing to pay more just to know the cabin number.

I was trying to say that it seems odd to spend a lot of money for something, and not know the details when you commit. I understand that you can save some money by taking a GTY. I understand you can get a much better cabin than the level you you pay for. I have been cruising for 20 years, so I understand all that.

What I don't understand is, given the unknowns involved, why a buyer doesn't know, or ask when buying, when the assignment comes. I would think the buyer would want to nail down as many details as possible given the many variables involved, and "when" is sort of important.

I was not trying to give the OP financial advice. But, as this question gets asked several times a week, it lead to my question.

What don't you understand about it being the only option for the category the OP wanted.

Booked a GTY VF and still waiting. Sail in 15 days.

I book a GTY most of the time. The money factor is obviously most important. Secondary to that is the thrill of rolling the dice. I know some people are all about location, location, location, but if I see that there is no way I am going to be under the Lido buffet or above the anchor chain, what does it really matter? It's exciting to still be wondering, and it gives me yet another real-time pre- vacation thing to rev up my engines. Third: IMHO there are merits to all parts of the ship. The thrill ride forward, the cushy ride midships, easy access to elevators, being a fire pole twirl down from the buffet ;).... All areas are fine.

However, I do always try to get an aft facing verandah if I can swing it financially.

I actually called HAL last night to see if they had a cabin number for me- honestly, they are so nice when I call them- considering I have a TA for this Westerdam cruise. "Oh we can always look up a cabin number for you or help you out with dining times! No problem at all!"..... And he did say that not having a cabin yet can be a good thing. Was he just being nice? Ship is sold out.

I understand that you can save some money by taking a GTY.
This may be true on some lines, but it is not on HAL. A guarantee costs exactly the same as a specific cabin of the same category. The only "savings" comes if you get a free upgrade and end up in more cabin than you paid for.

Look at the prices on a dummy booking when both gty and specific cabins are available. The price is the same for all.

we have only booked guarantee cabins, As long as you book the minimum that would be acceptable to you, anything else is a bonus. I don't see a bad Sup.veranda suite on the ship:). It also helps to feed my addiction to sign on every day to see if we got the cabin assignment :D

First time cruiser on HAL, our TA showed us the Eurodam and a suite was only a couple of hundred more than a balcony cabin. We decided to take a chance. We leave next week and do not have a assigned cabin yet. After reading the boards I have come to the conclusion that this is a good thing. I hope I am right!!!

This may be true on some lines, but it is not on HAL. A guarantee costs exactly the same as a specific cabin of the same category. The only "savings" comes if you get a free upgrade and end up in more cabin than you paid for.

Look at the prices on a dummy booking when both gty and specific cabins are available. The price is the same for all.

I've seen some cruises where this isn't the case. There have been some where I've seen an incredible "from" price listed. It has always been for a NN cabin only as a guarantee, while all other inside categories are available for booking specific cabins for far, far more. As there is no way, no how we would book that and possibly be stuck with a NN cabin, we've passed. We would book a J guarantee, but with the possibility of having a NN we'd rather stay home.

For our Eurodam sailing next week we had originally chosen our stateroom. Prior to final payment we decided we could save some money by doing a gty...so we did. We booked a VF gty and saved $200pp. With this gty we ended up with a VB...which had a booking price of $200 more than what we were originally paying...so good for us.

The waiting for the assignment was a bit frustrating for us, but we basically turned it into a game, checking the HAL site several times a day and seeing who was first to find out our stateroom number...but we knew going into the gty that there would be waiting involved so we were perfectly okay with it. We were assigned about two weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived