Guaranteed cabin category-when do we find out the cabin #?

RedSox5

I was trying to say that it seems odd to spend a lot of money for something, and not know the details when you commit. I understand that you can save some money by taking a GTY. I understand you can get a much better cabin than the level you you pay for. I have been cruising for 20 years, so I understand all that.

What I don't understand is, given the unknowns involved, why a buyer doesn't know, or ask when buying, when the assignment comes. I would think the buyer would want to nail down as many details as possible given the many variables involved, and "when" is sort of important.

I was not trying to give the OP financial advice. But, as this question gets asked several times a week, it lead to my question.

Well, to me that's a personal decision that had nothing to do with my question. How I spend my money is my business- you do what you'd like with yours, and I'll do what I like with mine.

You seem to feel strongly that the cabin assignment is such an important 'variable' when cruising- we actually couldn't care less where our cabin is- the cheaper the better. To each's own.

It has always been for a NN cabin only as a guarantee, while all other inside categories are available for booking specific cabins for far, far more.
I said
A guarantee costs exactly the same as a specific cabin of the same category. ... when both gty and specific cabins are available
An NN gty costs the same as a specific NN, and a J gty costs the same as a specific J. In my experience with 8 guarantees and a lot of price checking, I have never seen it otherwise.

If you book a J gty there is no possibility that you would get an NN.

I get what you are saying. However, my point is that HAL has been know to offer, what are to us among the least desirable cabins on the ship, the NN as guarantee only. People will book them, to save money, expecting upgrades.

If you book a J gty there is no possibility that you would get an NN.
Exactly. This is precisely why I said we would book J guarantees. I don't believe anyone has ever said that one could get a lower category cabin when booking guarantees. Maybe a cabin less desirable to them because of location or noise, but not a lower category.

We booked a VF guarantee last year on the Nieuw Amsterdam Western Caribbean and were upgraded to a V 14 days prior to sailing. We were very pleased with the upgrade as it also was a handicapped room which wasn't needed by anyone else and afforded us more square footage and a larger 'S' shaped balcony where the ship 'bends'. Plus, the large walk-in shower was roomy enough for two, if you catch my drift. Loved it.

This year for our June Alaskan cruise, we booked an Ocean View guarantee category F and I'm hoping we jump categories and end up with any V balcony cabin. Am I dreaming? Has this ever happened to anyone that you know? But know this - DW and I will be happy with the OV-F if that is what we are assigned so you don't have to reply and say we are crazy not to get a balcony for Alaska (we went in July 2010 and had a balcony so we know all about having one). BTW, this is a cruise we won at a charity fundraiser for $100 worth of raffle tickets so even if we end up in the engine room, we're still elated.

I have been bumped up three times, twice to higher categories and once from an interior to a bee-yootiful OV, one of four on NCL Spirit with an odd shape all the way fwd, and with a ton of extra room. Very happy for that. Honestly, I really don't care about slight gradations of upgrades unless I booked an obstructed OV or something that could really use a slight upgrade. From a VF, where am I really going to go? A suite? Not likely.

This may be true on some lines, but it is not on HAL. A guarantee costs exactly the same as a specific cabin of the same category. The only "savings" comes if you get a free upgrade and end up in more cabin than you paid for.

Look at the prices on a dummy booking when both gty and specific cabins are available. The price is the same for all.

Well, there are times on HAL cruises, where booking a GTY certainly saves some money. As an example, on the March 26, 2012 9-day Noordam cruise, the SA was $3,999 PP, the SB was $3,599 PP and the SC was $3,199 PP.

Now, the SC GTY has a "Special Price" of $1,999--a savings of over $1,200 when I first looked at that cruise. The SA and SB cabins remain the same price.

... category F and I'm hoping we jump categories and end up with any V balcony cabin. Am I dreaming? Has this ever happened to anyone that you know?
See post #10.

Now, the SC GTY has a "Special Price" of $1,999--a savings of over $1,200 when I first looked at that cruise. The SA and SB cabins remain the same price.

Again I say that when both gtys and specific cabins of a given category are available at the same time they will be the same price. Did you note what the price on an SC Gty was when you first looked at it? The $1200 cut is not because it is a gty but because it is close to sailing date.

I dare you to try to find any class of cabin on any HAL ship where you can book either a specific cabin or a gty and get a cheaper price on the gty.

Well, to me that's a personal decision that had nothing to do with my question. How I spend my money is my business- you do what you'd like with yours, and I'll do what I like with mine.

You seem to feel strongly that the cabin assignment is such an important 'variable' when cruising- we actually couldn't care less where our cabin is- the cheaper the better. To each's own.

Great "Throw Back"! I did a GTY once and ended up in the Aft End of the Ship = Miserable! I book a CAT "L", Cabin #, Fwd all the time! I know where you are coming from with a CAT "NN"! Whether you get an Upgrade or Not, you will be happy! Money is NOT the Primary Issue!

I get a kick out of how some Posters are like "Bottom Trawlers" looking for passengers like you and your husband. This is your first Booking with HAL and there are a lot of questions you didn't know to ask at the time of your Booking!

When I first came on the HAL Boards, I didn't know all of the Abbreviations for the ships! Boy, did I get burned! I was made out to be DUMB! Why didn't I look at The STICKY's! What are those?

Enjoy your Cruise and don't let the "Flame Throwers" bother you!:)

When I first came on the HAL Boards, I didn't know all of the Abbreviations for the ships! Boy, did I get burned! I was made out to be DUMB! Why didn't I look at The STICKY's! What are those?

Actually it was you that angrily flamed me for referring to cabins by their two-letter designations, when there is no other way to refer to them. By the way, you "first came to the HAL board" nine months before me.

... VH to VA, once. We have also booked VD, VE, and VF guarantees and gotten a VA, and on the last cruise we booked a VF and got a VB on the stern.
Something that really bothers me when Posters use "abreviations" for Classes for Cabin's or Ships! What in the hell is VA? Virginia! IS VD an STD? Newbies are totally turned off by all of these "Buzzwords". Would you please take the time to spell out your Buzzwords so we can all understand them?:mad:

See post #10.

Again I say that when both gtys and specific cabins of a given category are available at the same time they will be the same price. Did you note what the price on an SC Gty was when you first looked at it? The $1200 cut is not because it is a gty but because it is close to sailing date.

I dare you to try to find any class of cabin on any HAL ship where you can book either a specific cabin or a gty and get a cheaper price on the gty.

Dare me all you want if that makes you happy.

The poster said he could save some money by booking a GTY. Had NOTHING to do with the sail date, but showed you could save money by booking a GTY in THIS instance.

So, the fact that I had looked at that price before and it was $1,200 more, I could save that much money now by booking a GTY. Key words are save and money.

In most circumstances, yes, the GTY and the cabin price will be the same. So, I realize I won't find an instance where I could save money by booking a specific cabin versus a GTY. But, I did point out an instance where booking a GTY saves money based on the price a month or so ago.

So, the fact that I had looked at that price before and it was $1,200 more, I could save that much money now by booking a GTY. Key words are save and money.
Right, the key words are save and money ... and not GTY. The fact that it happens to be a GTY is coincidental to the savings, not the cause. Booking a GTY does not save you money. Booking after a price drop close to sailing does.

Great "Throw Back"! I did a GTY once and ended up in the Aft End of the Ship = Miserable! I book a CAT "L", Cabin #, Fwd all the time! I know where you are coming from with a CAT "NN"! Whether you get an Upgrade or Not, you will be happy! Money is NOT the Primary Issue!

I get a kick out of how some Posters are like "Bottom Trawlers" looking for passengers like you and your husband. This is your first Booking with HAL and there are a lot of questions you didn't know to ask at the time of your Booking!

Enjoy your Cruise and don't let the "Flame Throwers" bother you!:)

I'm glad you at least said 'some'. There aren't many flame throwers on the board. Most are here to help and have answered the same questions more than a few times. Few tell anyone to go to the stickies (except Joanie's website which has great pics of cabins and that's only when someone wants to know about cabins)

JT513 and many others has offered great help and are very knowledgeable. Why not take advantage of the help rather than chagrin one particular post that you didn't like?

I wish I had found this board when I was planning my first cruise. Alas, much, much later in life and cruises but I have still learned a lot and am very grateful to all the people willing to do so. that's my 2 cents;)

Right, the key words are save and money ... and not GTY. The fact that it happens to be a GTY is coincidental to the savings, not the cause. Booking a GTY does not save you money. Booking after a price drop close to sailing does.

My point exactly, this time, it happened to be a GTY that saved them $2,400.

Whether is was coincidental or not, our friends waited and booked a SC GTY that saved them money after the price drop. It was their luck that they hadn't booked it in November--they had to wait and make sure the wife could take her vacation. I'm sure the "cause" of this savings, was lean bookings in their cabin type.

Booked a VF, got a VA (8135). Did I score?

I would like that location a lot, and think it's much better than any VF - but be aware that you may have some deck chairs being moved around above you early in the morning when they clean the deck. Better bring some earplugs if you're a light sleeper. :)

Actually it was you that angrily flamed me for referring to cabins by their two-letter designations, when there is no other way to refer to them. By the way, you "first came to the HAL board" nine months before me.

Instead of "flaming" me, why don't you act like a "mature" adult! I find it interesting that you took the time to go back many months to find one of my Post's and bring it up one more time! Keep Trollling!:mad::p;):rolleyes:

I would like that location a lot, and think it's much better than any VF - but be aware that you may have some deck chairs being moved around above you early in the morning when they clean the deck. Better bring some earplugs if you're a light sleeper. :)

Thank you, Carol! Yes, that would be the only problem that I can see.

So happy to get the cabin number!!!:):):):):)

Instead of "flaming" me, why don't you act like a "mature" adult! I find it interesting that you took the time to go back many months to find one of my Post's and bring it up one more time! Keep Trollling!

:confused: :confused::confused: I would hardly call John a troll. Your join date is right up there in the right hand corner. Some cc'ers memories are long;) They don't have to look to remember ;)

Thank you, Carol! Yes, that would be the only problem that I can see.

So happy to get the cabin number!!!:):):):):)

I would personally LOVE that location! Right below the aft pool, seaview bar, etc. Enjoy your cruise, now you can finish planning with peace of mind.:D

See post #10.

Uh, I did it on the Maasdam with a BB guarantee. It was the cheapest way to go. Any balcony cabin other than a guarantee was more.

This may be true on some lines, but it is not on HAL. A guarantee costs exactly the same as a specific cabin of the same category. The only "savings" comes if you get a free upgrade and end up in more cabin than you paid for.

Look at the prices on a dummy booking when both gty and specific cabins are available. The price is the same for all.

That wasn't true when I booked the Maadam 11 day cruise.

Instead of "flaming" me, why don't you act like a "mature" adult! I find it interesting that you took the time to go back many months to find one of my Post's and bring it up one more time! Keep Trollling!:mad::p;):rolleyes:
I'm just reminding you and others that you weren't the innocent victim you make yourself out to be. YOU provoked the posts that followed that "made {me} out to be DUMB!" by your angry attack on me.

That wasn't true when I booked the Maadam 11 day cruise.
You're saying that your gty was a cheaper price than specific cabin choices that were available at the time? How did HAL show that on their site?

When I go look at a dummy booking they list a category and a price, and then when I continue to the next step there are listed up to six choices and sometimes a choice of a guarantee down at the bottom of the list. There is no different price shown for the guarantee.

We've done 8 GTYs, and none of them were cheaper than if I had picked a specific cabin number at the time of booking. Please find me a case where a gty is cheaper other than one that is discounted in the last weeks before sailing and it's not possible to pick a specific cabin. In that case, it's not the fact that it is a gty that is making it cheaper.

Archived