any time dining--dessert only?

leenieweenie

We have any time dining for our nest cruise on the miracle. Is it alright to go to the mdr and only order dessert? It will only be 2 of us. I don't want to miss the bitter and blanc and the creme brulee but we don't always like to eat dinner in the mdr. Should we tell the hostess or wait till we are seated and just order dessert only? Has anyone done this? Thanks.

We have any time dining for our nest cruise on the miracle. Is it alright to go to the mdr and only order dessert? It will only be 2 of us. I don't want to miss the bitter and blanc and the creme brulee but we don't always like to eat dinner in the mdr. Should we tell the hostess or wait till we are seated and just order dessert only? Has anyone done this? Thanks.

I have done this just tell the hostess and they would be happy just to let you order desert.

My family of 4 was booked for anytime on our first cruise. Several nights only two of us walked in. When the went to hand us the menu we simply said we just wanted shrimp appetizer and WCMC. They were fine with that! The next time we walked in they asked if we wanted dinner menus or simply dessert menus for the evening. :D We ordered dessert only that night. (Two for each of us to be exact.) :rolleyes:

Not a problem for us at all!

I'm sure that they would be APPREAR TO BE fine with this..........but it's a bit tacky......and rude.......the servers in the MDR want to serve you a fine meal.....to treat them like they are short order cooks.....seems cheap....

People are seated in YTD in the order that they appear in the dining room.....to try to facilitate everyone being waited on at about the same time.........no matter what time you come in.....they attempt to seat people coming in with the same server......to just suddenly jump to appetizer and dessert which are two entirely different and opposite courses.....would through everything off.........

I think it's rude, crude and I can't think of a single reason that I would ever consider doing something like this......Sorry, if you want a Golden Corral type of a meal.........go to the Lido deck...........

I'm sure that they would be APPREAR TO BE fine with this..........but it's a bit tacky......and rude.......the servers in the MDR want to serve you a fine meal.....to treat them like they are short order cooks.....seems cheap....

People are seated in YTD in the order that they appear in the dining room.....to try to facilitate everyone being waited on at about the same time.........no matter what time you come in.....they attempt to seat people coming in with the same server......to just suddenly jump to appetizer and dessert which are two entirely different and opposite courses.....would through everything off.........

I think it's rude, crude and I can't think of a single reason that I would ever consider doing something like this......Sorry, if you want a Golden Corral type of a meal.........go to the Lido deck...........

Take a chill pilll Janey! All the waiters care about is getting through the night, and not making any mistakes that someone will complain to maitre'D about. The thing that irritates them the most? People that whine no matter how hard they try! And they love people that are friendly.......

This is a joke ....right?:rolleyes:

Surely it's a joke! Just my humble opinion, but perhaps one is taking themselves too seriously if eating dessert only is considered rude and crude! It's food, after all! :) Aren't we on vacation to have fun!?!

I certainly won't have any problem ordering dessert only! :) The chocolate cake is calling my name!

Take a chill pilll Janey! All the waiters care about is getting through the night, and not making any mistakes that someone will complain to maitre'D about. The thing that irritates them the most? People that whine no matter how hard they try! And they love people that are friendly.......

This is a joke ....right?:rolleyes:

Sorry...........it's not a joke and I don't need a chill pill........if you feel like you're at something less than an IHOP or a Denny's, then stay home.......I've been on 25 Carnival cruises.....the waiters in the MDR want to try to SERVE you a nice meal.......If you can't appreciate that...just don't bother coming on a cruise....I agree with gpnfish.....the crew will treat you as GREAT as you treat them........

Frankly......I think that people who complain about the service...when they can't appreciate how hard the crew is working are just boring snobs that want to make themselves feel elite......and they are nothing more than simpletons...........

Call me a cheerleader if you like.........but I'm still going on 3 or 4 Carnival cruises a year.......... and love every one of them and frankly love the kool aide too......I just wish they would bring back the fruit punch...........:p:p:p

If you tell the hostess when you are beng seated dont think this would be a big deal.

I have done that more than once, it is not a problem at all.

If you tell the hostess when you are beng seated dont think this would be a big deal.

I'm quite sure they wouldn't make it SEEM like it was a bid deal.......that's what customer service is.........

I guess there are a couple of ways to think about this........if you show up in the MDR and tell the hostess that you are just there for the pastries or appetizers....then I suppose that on the one hand they have less work to do.......but on the other hand.....they are trying to serve 15 or 20 other people a full meal.....and you are interrupting them..........

If you only want a soup or an appetizer and a cake.......then go somewhere else.......don't interupt their flow........

I would never in a land based restaurant.....walk in and ask for an appetizer and dessert.........but that's just me.........and sister.....

I would never in a land based restaurant.....walk in and ask for an appetizer and dessert.........but that's just me.........and sister.....

Of course you can do this and it is perfectly acceptable, especially if you do not have reservations. You may be asked if you would mind sitting at the bar, and IMHO, there is nothing wrong with that option.

I'm quite sure they wouldn't make it SEEM like it was a bid deal.......that's what customer service is.........

I guess there are a couple of ways to think about this........if you show up in the MDR and tell the hostess that you are just there for the pastries or appetizers....then I suppose that on the one hand they have less work to do.......but on the other hand.....they are trying to serve 15 or 20 other people a full meal.....and you are interrupting them..........

If you only want a soup or an appetizer and a cake.......then go somewhere else.......don't interupt their flow........

My friends and I go often for happy hour and get apps and drinks only.

For ATD they will seat you when a table is ready. Nobody else's meal or service will be impacted by you ordering apps or desert only. In fact, you will finish up quickly and get out of their hair so they can get to their next customer. Win win for everyone.

@Okgirl - You've got issues!

Don't @Okgirl me.............I don't do that........what issues.........I'm just coming from an informed perspective............

I try to make people who are waiting on me as comfortable as possible.....they have lots of issues with other customers NOT me......I don't need to add to them.......I'm sitting down.....comfortable.....have a drink in my hand......and relaxed.......

I don't need to make demands on them.........I have a wine in my hand.......and am happy to accept another before my order is taken.....

People who are snappy and demanding.......IMO are under too much stress.....

Rude and crude to order less than a multi-course meal? So is it rude and crude to only order appetizers and dessert but skip the salad and main course? Or is it just rude but not crude? Crude but not rude? What if I skip everything but the main course? What if I have double of everything? How many courses equals good manners?

[/b]

For ATD they will seat you when a table is ready. Nobody else's meal or service will be impacted by you ordering apps or desert only. In fact, you will finish up quickly and get out of their hair so they can get to their next customer. Win win for everyone.

Though it seems like I should I don't actually disagree with this.........

I just think that the servers are use to people ordering a full course meal..........and when you don't, they are thrown off balance.......

My sister and I often don't order dessert.......and sometimes we leave the DR early...........but on subsequent evenings the waiters often question us as to why we left early......and it makes me uncomfortable......it's almost like they feel like we have left because their service wasn't up to par..

Of course you can do this and it is perfectly acceptable, especially if you do not have reservations. You may be asked if you would mind sitting at the bar, and IMHO, there is nothing wrong with that option.

Exactly.........at a restaurant......people come in and out without reservations or expections and are seating in a more casual venue thant than main dining room......

But I think that this is the most of the complaints that I've heard lately......even in ATD......meals are slow....service is poor....I agree that some people just want to complain...and are just plain whiners.....how do those of us that know how to behave and strike a blanace stand up against these folks.....?????

[/b]

I really think that ATD and happy hour are two different things....I go to happy hour and I don't have the same expectations of when I'm in a restaurant having apps and ordering a drink and then 20 minutes later having them ask me if I want an entree..........that's not really like ordering dinner on a cruise is it???????????????

I do not see this as rude. or tacky. Have you never gone into a place just for dessert. Nothing wrong with it IMHO.

Archived