Disgusting experience!!!!!

smallperson

No......

If you were sailing out of Syracuse, then YES. Obviously the cruise line would not be able to alert everyone flying out of every airport, now would they?:confused::confused:

Read the post you responded to again, slowly.

It is asking in general, is a travel provider obligated to advise you of things going on in your departure city - not NCL...any travel provider you happen to be travelling with. They are flying out of Syracuse on United, is United responsible to advise them of things that might be happening around the city/airport? For every airport they fly out of?

I put this issue on par with what happens every year when people forget to turn their clocks ahead an hour for daylight savings and then on Sunday they end out being late for things...airline flights included. Everyone knows it comes every year, and yet, there are still people who forget or are oblivious.

Yes, everyone (myself included) feels bad that OP was stuck in a traffic jam and "missed the boat" (don't you all go jumping on me for calling it a "boat"). What I cannot believe, as most others have pointed out, is that OP believes that anyone besides himself/herself is to blame.

Howard

No......

If you were sailing out of Syracuse, then YES. Obviously the cruise line would not be able to alert everyone flying out of every airport, now would they?:confused::confused:

You are confused because you missed my question.

You are stating that if I am sailing NCL that somehow NCL is responsible to let me know there is something going on in my port city that may delay my getting to the port.

So if I am flying United Airlines, then United Airlines is responsible to let me know that there is something going on in my airport city that may delay my getting to the airport.

Same difference just different modes of transportation.

I feel very sorry for the OP and I think she has every reason to be upset.

I sailed out of NYC when Hurricane Irene was coming in (August ?? 2011). Princess kept saying that everything would go as scheduled. Thank God for my CC roll call. Someone realized that the cruise terminal parking was in Flood Zone A- a mandatory evac zone. So..... Where the H was I going to park? And then people were saying (on other threads, CNN, etc) that NO SHIP would sail that Saturday, that the entire port of NY would be closed. Meanwhile, Princess was saying everything would be fine. The terminal parking lot people said that they would be open, and then no one picked up the phone for two days.

My biggest fears were: nowhere to park (after driving from Buffalo), the ship leaving early to clear the port before it closed (very real possibility), and getting into NYC, finding the cruise delayed by days, and having nowhere to go.

So thank you to CC, I found a hotel with cruise parking in Brooklyn and we got there at 4 am and slept for two hours. I then found out the parking lot was closed (as I had suspected, but which was now ok as I had the cruise parking package with the hotel), and that the cruise was leaving 3-4 hours EARLY. Can you imagine if I had timed it like most people? I would have missed the cruise. Oh- and the airports were closed.

Meanwhile, nothing from Princess. The source of my info? Tweets directly from Micky Arison to me. I just started tweeting him and damned if he didn't respond. The Heat must not have been playing :rolleyes:.

By the time Princess texted me to tell me the cruise was leaving early we were at the terminal.

So: If I had not been insanely early, through my own manic need to be early everywhere, if Micky Arison had been asleep at the twitter switch, if I had listened to CNN, and if I had not checked the roll call every five seconds I either would have not gone, assuming the trip would be delayed by days, or i would have rolled up just in time to see her pull away (and with nowhere to park).

So I guess my story shows how on top of things you need to be, but it also shows that the cruise lines absolutely SHOULD let travelers know when there is going to be something that will cause a major delay (such as Mardi GRAS, hello????).

The big difference, Irene is a once in a life time happening (hopefully), Mardi Gras happens every year

We live in south Georgia and cruise out of Florida and always drive to the port. I plan a 5 hour delay into my drive time. Flat tires, broken belts or hoses, traffic jams.....the list could go on.

I plan to be in the departure city by 9am or so and stop for breakfast. I'm OK with heading to the port after 10:30. If something goes wrong I can try to find away around the problem. My wife had a friend who was driving in the day of the cruise and got stuck in a traffic jam caused by a bad wreck on the Florida Turnpike. No way to go forward or back, they missed their departure and had to fly to the next port to catch up with the ship.

It doesn't take Mardi Gras to miss the boat. Anything can happen.

The lesson from all of this is to plan ahead and be prepared to make adjustments.

My husband, brother and i just came back on 2/19 from trying to get aboard the norwegian spirit in new orleans. The ship left without us because it was absolutely impossible, if driving, to find an access road that would take you down to the dock. Every road was blocked because of freaking mardi gras, and the norwegian cruise line knows this and didn't let anyone know of an alternate route to get to the ship. We were stuck, and i mean stuck, in traffic for over 5 hours in new orleans while we tried to get to the ship, and we simply could not get there. The ship left without a lot of passengers who had the same experience. Ncl and our travel agency, ***********, do not accept any responsibility for this mess and won't compensate us for the loss of the trip. Ncl provides driving directions to the terminal. They already accept the responsibility for telling you how to get there. Now they say they have no responsibility for these driving direction. We say they do. We say they could have emailed every one of us on this cruise some new directions, given what happens on mardi gras (we didn't know about it because we don't live in n.o.). We are going to sue them in small claims court. We hope every one of the passengers who missed this boat does the same. We will prevail in small claims court--the directions that did not work are printed on ncl letterhead, which proves that they expected us to use these directions. If they did not work, ncl should have let us know how to get to the ship.

We are latitudes members who have cruised on ncl many times, without incident. I cannot find the words to express my anger and frustration with this cruise line now. They are real pikers in my opinion, and i am considering not setting foot on another of their ships. I will also write to the better business bureau in my area and complain about this service issue.

There's an old saying I like to quote in times like this and I think NCL could use it here: "Failure to plan on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine"

Will wonders never cease. We have a select few calling other posters names and telling them to chill out, etc.

What some people seem to be missing is that the OP feels a sense of entitlement and will go to small claims court to get their retribution. My question is this: why post this on the boards where it was bound to start the "discussions" it has?

Wonders if this person is really a troll hell-bent on starting yet another "lively" discussion.

It is always unfortunate when someone posts once and never returns. I hope that this was not some hoax. I hope that some posters have not been overly critical (myself included) so as to scare them away.

It would be nice to know what ultimately happened to OP.

I hope the OP was smart enough to fly to the next port and catch the ship. In what would be a CC first they are gonna come back a post a 5 star review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love this app :)

I do the same thing for any area I plan on visiting and even my own home town. For instance, I don't plan on going out to eat in a restaurant the same weekend that is graduation or parents weekend at our local University. As for directions, we always have a plan B and most times a plan C because of road work etc. I've seen DH put 4 different routes in the GPS just in case AND have printed directions too. LOL.

It's like payday weekend on a military installation. When we were stationed at Fort Bragg, and when we've worked at Camp Lejeune, we stayed away from the zoo that restaurants, malls, etc. became on those weekends.

This post did convince me to do more research about the area we're leaving from. So far I've found the city's website, and there is nothing on their calendar for both embarkation and debarkation days. I've bookmarked the site, and will look for other sources of information. We leave 2 weeks from today!

I do NOT wish you well with your threatened lawsuit. This was NOT NCL's fault. You are diverting blame from yourself toward the first target you can find. I hope whatever forum you choose for your legal action imposes costs and sanctions on you and any attorney who accepts your frivolous and specious case.

I am NOT a "cheerleader" for NCL, the city of New Orleans or any other entity unlucky enough to have anything to do with you. Perhaps a news outlet will pick up your story and shine light on it as part of a "top 10 stupid lawsuits" feature.

I am not a NCL cheerleader as I have never set foot on one of their ships, but I can tell you I would never go anywhere without first checking what is going on in the destination I am heading to. That information is very easy to find and if the OP can post here about his bad fortune, he surely knows how to do a search.

As for the Op going to the next port I would say he did not have the faculties to do so..

I feel bad for the OP, but they should have come in the day before and stayed closer to the port. Even if you are driving, it is a good idea to stay near the port the day before.

And if the agency has the same number of letters at the *** in the post, that is what you get using those big online agencies. You may save a few bucks, but you certainly do not get the same service you would get with a local agent. All the big agencies do is book you - they don't have accept any obligation for problems or go out of their way at all to service clients. They are merely a booking engine.

WOW! This thread has really gotten alot of posters attention! The good thing about it is making many cruisers more aware of how important it is to know what's going on in the ports you are departing from, possibly going to and then returning to and to plan things accordingly... It sure has made me realize that! :)

After reading through many of the responses on this thread, I decided to take a peek at the other posts the OP has made on CC over the years. One in particular caught my eye. In 2/10, OP responded to someone's question regarding whether or not she'd like the Spirit. OP ended her response with the following: "You will be running into Spring Breakers if you sail in March, so be mindful that the ship may fill up with young, rowdy drunks for the next few weeks. We missed Spring Break, deliberately, by one week."

Although I, too, feel badly that anyone should have the stress and disappointment associated with missing her cruise because of traffic, I have to wonder, if two years ago OP was aware that something like Spring Break (which varies according to college, etc.) could impact someone's travel plans, how could she not have been aware that another "external event" like Mardi Gras, which is at the same time each year, could impact her travel plans (even though in a different way)? Just saying...

WOW! This thread has really gotten alot of posters attention! The good thing about it is making many cruisers more aware of how important it is to know what's going on in the ports you are departing from, possibly going to and then returning to and to plan things accordingly... It sure has made me realize that! :)

I agree , even if the OP is a Troll at least some are learning a lesson about planing your trip and tripping your plan ;)

And now for something completely different ; If you have to get stuck some where and miss your ship , you sure as hell could do a lot worse than NOLA :D

I agree , even if the OP is a Troll at least some are learning a lesson about planing your trip and tripping your plan ;)

And now for something completely different ; If you have to get stuck some where and miss your ship , you sure as hell could do a lot worse than NOLA :D

I would agree if there was actually anywhere to stay with everything booked up a year in advance. Sounds like they turned around and went home. I would have found something besides "go back home" to do where ever I was!

Yes they are PIKERS. WE had a cruise with them where air was included and they provided a flight that did not leave time for us to get to the ship. (Spouse in wheelchair). I called them and they said to buy my own tickets and they would refund my tickets (4). 2 months passed . No refund . I called and they said there would be no refund because the travel agent went bust and stll owed them money even though my full tickets were Mastercharge to NCL. The never paid. I paid for a Jr Suite as the wall was supposed to be floor to celling window. It was, but so salt eaten you could barley see out. My next cruise with them was a disaster. We booked a handicapped room, which they said Travel agent did not request. 20 days on a transatlantic to Russia in a cramped room with step up bath and step up again shower. My wife can not stand so I had to lift her in and out. I hate NCL Yet I am going on another that my sister booked for us. I am praying it won't be another disaster. I Love Oceania, Like Celebrity and Holland America.

My husband, brother and i just came back on 2/19 from trying to get aboard the norwegian spirit in new orleans. The ship left without us because it was absolutely impossible, if driving, to find an access road that would take you down to the dock. Every road was blocked because of freaking mardi gras, and the norwegian cruise line knows this and didn't let anyone know of an alternate route to get to the ship. We were stuck, and i mean stuck, in traffic for over 5 hours in new orleans while we tried to get to the ship, and we simply could not get there. The ship left without a lot of passengers who had the same experience. Ncl and our travel agency, ***********, do not accept any responsibility for this mess and won't compensate us for the loss of the trip. Ncl provides driving directions to the terminal. They already accept the responsibility for telling you how to get there. Now they say they have no responsibility for these driving direction. We say they do. We say they could have emailed every one of us on this cruise some new directions, given what happens on mardi gras (we didn't know about it because we don't live in n.o.). We are going to sue them in small claims court. We hope every one of the passengers who missed this boat does the same. We will prevail in small claims court--the directions that did not work are printed on ncl letterhead, which proves that they expected us to use these directions. If they did not work, ncl should have let us know how to get to the ship.

We are latitudes members who have cruised on ncl many times, without incident. I cannot find the words to express my anger and frustration with this cruise line now. They are real pikers in my opinion, and i am considering not setting foot on another of their ships. I will also write to the better business bureau in my area and complain about this service issue.

Yes they are PIKERS. WE had a cruise with them where air was included and they provided a flight that did not leave time for us to get to the ship. (Spouse in wheelchair). I called them and they said to buy my own tickets and they would refund my tickets (4). 2 months passed . No refund . I called and they said there would be no refund because the travel agent went bust and stll owed them money even though my full tickets were Mastercharge to NCL. The never paid. I paid for a Jr Suite as the wall was supposed to be floor to celling window. It was, but so salt eaten you could barley see out. My next cruise with them was a disaster. We booked a handicapped room, which they said Travel agent did not request. 20 days on a transatlantic to Russia in a cramped room with step up bath and step up again shower. My wife can not stand so I had to lift her in and out. I hate NCL Yet I am going on another that my sister booked for us. I am praying it won't be another disaster. I Love Oceania, Like Celebrity and Holland America.

NCL doesn't have a category called "Junior Suite" and I can't ever recall a transatlantic cruise to Russia.

If you booked a handicapped cabin through a travel agency and didn't get one that would be the travel agency's fault.

Your story about the airline tickets also sounds odd to say the least. Why would you just sit on your hands and not pursue the situation further? It's not as if airline tickets cost $25 and you decided it wasn't worth your time to pursue a refund.

If NCL did what you claimed, why would you go on yet another cruise with them?

NCL doesn't have a category called "Junior Suite" and I can't ever recall a transatlantic cruise to Russia.

NCL does have transatlantic Baltic cruises which include Russia.

http://www2.ncl.com/itinerary?N=0&Nu=p_Key&key=SUN22PCVPDLAMSCPHWARTLLLEDHELSTOCPH&TB_iframe=true&width=934&height=526&name=itinerary_map

Maybe poster had a "Mini Suite" and just called it a Jr. Suite?

Other than that, I'd agree with your other points.

Howard

NCL does have transatlantic Baltic cruises which include Russia.

http://www2.ncl.com/itinerary?N=0&Nu=p_Key&key=SUN22PCVPDLAMSCPHWARTLLLEDHELSTOCPH&TB_iframe=true&width=934&height=526&name=itinerary_map

Maybe poster had a "Mini Suite" and just called it a Jr. Suite?

Other than that, I'd agree with your other points.

Howard

Your points are valid, although I wouldn't call that itinerary a cruise "to Russia" as Russia was a port call, not the ultimate destination, but I guess I'm just being picky about semantics.

We sailed the Spirit in Dec. '2011. We also arrived in a private vehicle for a Sun departure and exited the interstate around 10:45. We could see the ship from our car. It then took us 2 hours to go the 6 remaining blocks to the terminal. There were no special events in NOLA that weekend. There was a Carnival ship also departing that same day.

So what you have is approx 4000 cruisers converging on one access road at the same time resulting in gridlock. It was very frustrating but we eventually made it on board.

In my post cruise remarks to NCL's survey I expressed our frustration on the embarkation. NCL responded that they had forwarded my complaint to the Port Authority of NO...that was it.

In my post cruise remarks to NCL's survey I expressed our frustration on the embarkation. NCL responded that they had forwarded my complaint to the Port Authority of NO...that was it.

Were you expecting them to do something else? :confused:

Will wonders never cease. We have a select few calling other posters names and telling them to chill out, etc.

What some people seem to be missing is that the OP feels a sense of entitlement and will go to small claims court to get their retribution. My question is this: why post this on the boards where it was bound to start the "discussions" it has?

Wonders if this person is really a troll hell-bent on starting yet another "lively" discussion.

We were in a taxi going to the airport on Sunday and saw the traffic going into NOLA, and I said to my wife I can see the complaints on CC already.

Archived