Truth about Anytime Dining, Formal night and coffee

travelgenie

Just back from Caribbean Princess, this is my experience with:

Anytime Dining: To clarify, on this ship anyway, how AD works, there are 3 main dining rooms, Palm is traditional, Island is Anytime only, Coral has both, an early traditional seating and anytime too. We had AD and used the Island Dining room (identical to Coral) and never had to wait, there were 6 of us, never made a reservation and we ranged from 6:30-7:30 with our dining times. Waiter did take our cabin numbers.

Formal nights: Like it or not, times have changed, and while you will still see a few tuxedos and long dresses, it was not the norm on this ship. My husband wore a sports jacket, shirt, tie and nice khakis, and myself, black silky pants and a top with a little bling, totally fine. I did see a lot of men in just a shirt and tie, we will leave the jacket at home next time. I did see some men in just short sleeve button down shirts with no tie, no big deal, saw no fashion police turning anyone away. Too much is made of this on these boards, the suggested dress code, is just that a suggestion, not a mandatory requirement.

Coffee: Seriously, coffee made from syrup, I still cannot believe that Princess serves that and yes, it is horrible in my opinion. We bought the coffee card and unlike the soda package, you can share it with anyone you choose. It is a punch card, 15 coffees for $29 and that is for specialty coffees, you can get a regular cup of brewed coffee without having to use a punch, worked out well for my husband and I.

Anytime Dining: To clarify, on this ship anyway, how AD works, there are 3 main dining rooms, Palm is traditional, Island is Anytime only, Coral has both, an early traditional seating and anytime too. We had AD and used the Island Dining room (identical to Coral) and never had to wait, there were 6 of us, never made a reservation and we ranged from 6:30-7:30 with our dining times. Waiter did take our cabin numbers.

Formal nights: Like it or not, times have changed, and while you will still see a few tuxedos and long dresses, it was not the norm on this ship. My husband wore a sports jacket, shirt, tie and nice khakis, and myself, black silky pants and a top with a little bling, totally fine. I did see a lot of men in just a shirt and tie, we will leave the jacket at home next time. I did see some men in just short sleeve button down shirts with no tie, no big deal, saw no fashion police turning anyone away. Too much is made of this on these boards, the suggested dress code, is just that a suggestion, not a mandatory requirement.

Coffee: Seriously, coffee made from syrup, I still cannot believe that Princess serves that and yes, it is horrible in my opinion. We bought the coffee card and unlike the soda package, you can share it with anyone you choose. It is a punch card, 15 coffees for $29 and that is for specialty coffees, you can get a regular cup of brewed coffee without having to use a punch, worked out well for my husband and I.

This maybe so on the Caribbean short cruises regarding dress.

On my personal experience taking long cruises not in the Caribbean most people dress for dinner and many guys wear tuxedos.

There is a different crowd of a maturer age on the long cruises.

This is my humble observation......By the way I love dressing up and its nice to see the guys in their finery..:)

Thank you for your "review." However, it is based on opinion, personal preferences and a one-time experience (with Anytime.) No "facts" that I could see. :(

Here are the facts:

-- You'll often see or experience waits, sometimes long waits, for Anytime dining. Some people don't, many do.

-- On formal nights, the vast majority of passengers dress up, some don't. Some cruises are dressier than others. You're right in that you see few tuxes but most men are in suits and most ladies are all dressed up. On my cruises, very, very few men are in sports coats and a really small number, if any, without jackets.

-- The vast majority of passengers think the coffee is OK or just fine. That is a personal taste. You couldn't drag some people into Starbucks if their life depended on it, ditto for Dunkin' Donuts. It's personal taste.

-- On formal nights, the vast majority of passengers dress up, some don't. Some cruises are dressier than others. You're right in that you see few tuxes but most men are in suits and most ladies are all dressed up. On my cruises, very, very few men are in sports coats and a really small number, if any, without jackets.

I suppose to some extent, people see what they want to see. Because of the endless CC wrangles, I always try to note what men are really wearing. At late traditional on the Grand this month, there were indeed a goodly number of men in sport coats, but few without a jacket and almost no one without a tie.

I wonder whether some of this is a matter of AT vs. traditional. Seems to me that those who request traditional dining are more likely to be experienced cruisers, or at least to appreciate "the traditional cruise experience," and therefore less likely to dress as though they were going to Denny's.

-- The vast majority of passengers think the coffee is OK or just fine. That is a personal taste. You couldn't drag some people into Starbucks if their life depended on it, ditto for Dunkin' Donuts. It's personal taste.

Totally wrong. Without facts, you just made that up. Fiction doesn't equal fact.

The vast majority of people doesn't like syrup based coffee flavored beverage. This is based on the fact that no coffee chain or restaurant chain uses it. If people really did prefer it, don't you think they'd start serving it asap while saving money in the process?

I have worked in/been to a lot of restaurants in my life and have yet to see one serve liquid coffee syrup based coffee.

Anytime Dining: We had AD and used the Island Dining room (identical to Coral) and never had to wait, there were 6 of us, never made a reservation and we ranged from 6:30-7:30 with our dining times. Waiter did take our cabin numbers.

OK, for Comparison's sake - we were on Caribbean Princess in December.

Anytime Dining: When we used the main dining room arriving 7 - 7:30 we were issued a pager and had to wait for up to 20 minutes (at which point we queried how much longer it would be and we were seated within 5 minutes).

Formal Nights: People dressed according to the dress code, and although there were fewer tuxedo wearing men, I looked and saw few men without coat and tie.

Coffee: Yes the stuff served in Horizon Court was weak, but the dining room coffee was good. We saw no reason to pay extra for a coffee card. (one does have to wonder if by offering weak coffee for breakfast, they have increased coffee card sales - they obviously got the OP)

Demographic Mix: Caribbean Princess sailed out of San Juan. There was a sufficient population of Puerto Rico passengers such that entertainment was provided in Spanish. I suspect the demographics of the population for Caribbean Princess this season were skewed toward the cultural differences. However I saw less of the formal dress white shirts that I used to see, while in Puerto Rico on business, than I expected.

We have found on short island type cruises, the dress is more casual, but still nice. Men usually have jackets, and I know my husband has a really neat white linen suit for formal nights, and it is tropical and acceptable. I always dress nicely for dinner every night if I go to the dining room, meaning glittery tops, dressy pants.

On long cruises, the entire dress is different. Most men will have wear a tux, women dress up as well, maybe not gowns, but very dressy outfits. It is also very easy as you can rent the tux and have it in your cabin on boarding. Our last cruise had 3 formal nights, and the rental was perfect as you can get multiple shirts. There is definitely a more mature crowd on the longer cruises, and they dress beautifully! That is why cruising can still be so elegant...if that is what you want.

On the matter of coffee, I love my coffee, so I get a coffee card. That way I can order coffee at the different locations throughout the ship, get fresh brewed coffee, and still get the benefit of my cappachino (sp).

On our New Years cruise, we found we had to wait for a table in AD because we were requesting a table of four, not a shared table. If you wish to share a table there is less wait. We also wanted certain areas of the dining room, that also made the wait longer.

We still love all the choices..all the differences...but not in the main dining rooms. Anyone that doesn't want to follow the dress code, you have the Buffet!

How is this a fact?? Is it because your opinion of Princess' coffee is Ok or just fine? I'm one who thinks the coffee is horrible on Princess. I would bet that Princess knows their coffee is so bad thats why they have the option to pay extra for a decent cup of fresh brewed coffee.

We have found on short island type cruises, the dress is more casual, but still nice. Men usually have jackets, and I know my husband has a really neat white linen suit for formal nights, and it is tropical and acceptable.

Kudos! Though it's not strictly speaking up to code, white linen is lovely for tropical climes. I brought a white linen jacket to wear on casual nights on the Grand - made me feel like something out of Graham Greene...in a nice way.

How is this a fact?? Is it because your opinion of Princess' coffee is Ok or just fine? I'm one who thinks the coffee is horrible on Princess. I would bet that Princess knows their coffee is so bad thats why they have the option to pay extra for a decent cup of fresh brewed coffee.

I agree with Pam, if the majority thought the coffee that horrible there would be a massive line at the International Cafe during most hours.

A new consipracy theory!! :rolleyes: Launch the black helicopters!!:D

Kudos! Though it's not strictly speaking up to code, white linen is lovely for tropical climes. I brought a white linen jacket to wear on casual nights on the Grand - made me feel like something out of Graham Greene...in a nice way.

I just scored a white linen jacket (Adolfo) for $50 at Burlington Coat Factory.

I also scored some Perry Ellis natural linen slacks for $4.99 at an outlet.

I agree with Pam, if the majority thought the coffee that horrible there would be a massive line at the International Cafe during most hours.

A new consipracy theory!! :rolleyes: Launch the black helicopters!!:D

Just because there aren't massive lines at the IC doesn't mean the vast majority enjoy the coffee.:rolleyes: Maybe the vast majority now bring their own coffee pots.:p

Totally wrong. Without facts, you just made that up. Fiction doesn't equal fact.

The vast majority of people doesn't like syrup based coffee flavored beverage. This is based on the fact that no coffee chain or restaurant chain uses it. If people really did prefer it, don't you think they'd start serving it asap while saving money in the process?

I have worked in/been to a lot of restaurants in my life and have yet to see one serve liquid coffee syrup based coffee.

I think Pam is recounting her experiences that, I believe, are many (I think she has cruised A LOT). She is right--taste is a very personal phenomenon. I don't mind the coffee at all on any ship. The main dining rooms and buffets cannot be barista perfect nor can meals in those domains be anything but banquet food. All in all, they do a great job.

Just because there aren't massive lines at the IC doesn't mean the vast majority enjoy the coffee.:rolleyes: Maybe the vast majority now bring their own coffee pots.:p

Or many, like myself, bring single serving coffee in the little pouches and jsut order hot water. I have drank coffee all over the world and in many different circumstances and hate Princess coffee in both the dining rooms and the buffets. I just do not constantly complain about it as I have found a solution that works for me.

I have to thank Princess for introducing me to the great flavours of teas, none of which would I have gained save for the totally unpalatable coffee that they serve at meals. And remember:

Princess cannot make a decent cup of coffee....

but for an extra buck, they can. (nickel and dime)

As per this thread: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1513970&highlight=coffee more than 50% of people said the coffee was just fine.

I think it's fine as well, certainly not the best but perfectly drinkable - for me.

You wont find me in a Starbucks - have NEVER had a decent coffee from one so I don't bother any more. Now, Costa coffee - perfect.

We are coffee snobs. Princess coffee is drinkable but not great.We buy a coffee card because we want a good cup of coffee in the morning.

Formal nights: With weight restrictions on airline luggage, I feel they should eliminated. Besides, I had to wear a tie from the age of 14 to when I retired at the age of 62. After all those years, I don't want to put another one on.

Sam

I think Pam is recounting her experiences that, I believe, are many (I think she has cruised A LOT). She is right--taste is a very personal phenomenon. I don't mind the coffee at all on any ship. The main dining rooms and buffets cannot be barista perfect nor can meals in those domains be anything but banquet food. All in all, they do a great job.

Ever been on CCL? They serve real coffee in the MDR! Not only that, if you ask, they'll brew you up a FREE espresso or capuccino! Yup, real beans (I think they still use Lilly, ships in AK use Caribou Coffee, I think), I think they even grind the beans separately and pack a portafilter for the espresso, just like in the best coffee joints (and something that princess doesn't do, they use a full auto machine).

Why is it that busy mdr's on CCL can serve up fresh brewed coffee AND espresso/caps, but Princess can't?

We fly from the UK and bring a tux no problem I just don't get this constant bleating about the dress code, a tux v Sports coat what's the difference in weight? a hairs breath I think. So if you don't want to wear tux don't but please just say so - end of don't make excuses

Coffee in the US is weak period; Italian coffee is strong and full of flavour. IMHO

Let’s all play nice, we all have opinions, nobody is 100% right or 100% wrong, but we all like cruising

I don't think Pam said that people preferred it she stated it was okay or just fine

Is there a high traffic time for anytime dining?

I like traditional but for Alaska Early is to Early and

Late is just Late.

Wife is pushing for anytime due to decent experiences in the Caribbean.

Should we just flip a coin?

We are coffee snobs. Princess coffee is drinkable but not great.We buy a coffee card because we want a good cup of coffee in the morning.

Formal nights: With weight restrictions on airline luggage, I feel they should eliminated. Besides, I had to wear a tie from the age of 14 to when I retired at the age of 62. After all those years, I don't want to put another one on.

Sam

Just returned from a seven day cruise with one checked suitcase. Took seven long sleeved dress shirts, 7 golf shirts, 5 short sleeved dress shirts, 3 pair of pants, 4 pair of shorts, the needed amount of underwear,socks etc, a tux with two different vests, 4 pair of shoes, and two swim suites. One bag and under 50 pounds(47.5). Nope I'm not special.....just saying it can easily be done. The only real difference between formal or not is a jacket(you still need pants and a shirt) and really are they that heavy? And no I'm not a small....XL it is for me.

The nice thing about cruising is you have options:don't want to wear a tie there are other food venues other than the main dining room. You could also opt for Carnival or NCL.

Archived