Is Maasdam's boat deck ruined with the lanai cabins???

When and How

Betty, as far as I know there are NO non-obstructed areas that are omitted. The aft deck on the S class ship has a solid-metal rail, meaning that the view is obstructed when one is reclining in a lounge chair.

:) Yes, Greg, you are correct about the steel beneath the rail at Maasdam's stern on Promendade Deck. We have walked laps so many times, I can see it 'clear as day' in my mind. :)

Problem solved... Just bring your own deck chair,put it any place you'd like.

Hey.. that is what Mark Twain did. But notably, his were not very sturdy nor durable. :D

I have been reading Following the Equator (I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys travel or Mark Twain or both) and he notes in Chapter 1:

We had the whole Pacific Ocean in front of us, with nothing to do but do nothing and be comfortable. The city of Victoria was twinkling dim in the deep heart of her smoke-cloud, and getting ready to vanish and now we closed the field-glasses and sat down on our steamer chairs contented and at peace. But they went to wreck and ruin under us and brought us to shame before all the passengers. They had been furnished by the largest furniture-dealing house in Victoria, and were worth a couple of farthings a dozen, though they had cost us the price of honest chairs. In the Pacific and Indian Oceans one must still bring his own deck-chair on board or go without, just as in the old forgotten Atlantic times—those Dark Ages of sea travel.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2895/2895-h/2895-h.htm#ch1

twain.jpg.4ddae85f304c71a478ef01f0961f202d.jpg

What is "the scheme"supposed to mean?:confused::confused:..

IMO it was one of the best changes HAL made..You may not think so, but don't be so critical of something you have never tried.. HAL is in business to make a profit & apparently they are making a profit selling those Lanai's..As stockholders & also four star Mariners we applaud HAL"s decision to change the OV's into Lanai's..

We would book a Lanai if it was available on any HAL ship..We loved our Lanai on the Veendam & now are very spoiled..Every time we sail on a HAL ship, DH asks if we can book a Lanai..

Now taking away the AFT pool IMO was not a smart thing to do & agree with Greg that the Mix is not to our taste..However just because we don't like it, doesn't mean it was a dumb thing to do..

You took the words right out of my mouth..The sliding glass door doesn't take away from the space at all!

Cheers....Betty

Definition of "scheme?" Check Webster's !:(

I simply posted the photos to clarify the above discussion concerning the solid hull vs railing question on the back of the ship. Just happened to have some pics from one of our daily walks.

Thanks for posting the photos. I must admit to having seen a number of folks sound asleep in chairs facing that steel beneath the rail. :) They sure looked happy enough. :D Some folks do their best sleeping in that area.

Aha, the grand HAL conspiracy busted. HAL has better itineraries with more port days, because they have so few deck chairs they can't afford to have many at-sea days. This sinister HAL deck chair caper finally makes sense. :rolleyes:

Definition of "scheme?" Check Webster's !:(

Don't have to..I know what the word means..

But since you are using it in a negative way, I wonder how you have deduced HAL's intent..

IMO, if you have not tried it, your not qualified to judge it!

Cheers...Betty

Another Four Star Mariner, just like you!

Don't have to..I know what the word means..

But since you are using it in a negative way, I wonder how you have deduced HAL's intent..

IMO, if you have not tried it, your not qualified to judge it!

Cheers...Betty

Another Four Star Mariner, just like you!

Dear fellow 4-Star Mariner, stockholder, etc. etc. Been there, done that, and have the right to my opinion. Happy sailing and GOODBYE .. I've had enough!!!! Better things to do.

I'm so glad to hear that the aft deck on our beloved Maasdam wasn't replaced by cabins and, hopefully, they didn't put in the dippy little pool and flat screen bar in to replace the aft pool. But we've just booked an aft cabin on the Veendam's 2013 V of the Vikings and now are worried that we'll be under the dopey Retreat/Resort pool since we booked an aft A. Very sad they are changing the Voyage of the Vikings from Maasdam to Veendam in 2013. Does anyone have any idea why the change? margretha

Goodness, the lanais have certainly caused a lot of furore and made for a lot of upset people. We have never sailed HAL but will be next February from Rio to Fort Lauderdale and have booked a lanai. Shock, horror. We would normally do a balcony but they are really expensive on this cruise so we went the half way road instead and booked a guarantee lanai. Have to tell you all we think they look wonderful and can't wait.

Hope no-one throws anything at us while we are sitting in our reserved loungers.

Beryl

Very sad they are changing the Voyage of the Vikings from Maasdam to Veendam in 2013. Does anyone have any idea why the change?

Just an educated guess here, ---

The Voyage of the Vikings is a very popular run, on a cool/cold route. The Veendam has more cabins, and no outdoor pool. By switching to the Veendam, HAL can take in more money on a ship where the lack of an outside pool is not a concern.

I'm so glad to hear that the aft deck on our beloved Maasdam wasn't replaced by cabins and, hopefully, they didn't put in the dippy little pool and flat screen bar in to replace the aft pool. But we've just booked an aft cabin on the Veendam's 2013 V of the Vikings and now are worried that we'll be under the dopey Retreat/Resort pool since we booked an aft A. Very sad they are changing the Voyage of the Vikings from Maasdam to Veendam in 2013. Does anyone have any idea why the change? margretha

No, Margretha,

They didn't put in the 'dipply little pool and flat screen to replace aft pool' on Maasdam.

We are extremely grateful for that wise decision. :)

Goodness, the lanais have certainly caused a lot of furore and made for a lot of upset people. We have never sailed HAL but will be next February from Rio to Fort Lauderdale and have booked a lanai. Shock, horror. We would normally do a balcony but they are really expensive on this cruise so we went the half way road instead and booked a guarantee lanai. Have to tell you all we think they look wonderful and can't wait.

Hope no-one throws anything at us while we are sitting in our reserved loungers.

Beryl

You 'may' have to 'request' people to 'vacate' your 'reserved' lounger though! :D:p:)

I'm sure we can do that nicely - hopefully they react nicely. You never know, there are so few lanais, maybe we will get upgraded to a balcony :)

Oh, I would think hard about that option if I were you as there 'may' be the chance that you will be located between/below balcony neighbours who are smokers! ;) Unless, of course, you are smokers too! :eek:

You 'may' have to 'request' people to 'vacate' your 'reserved' lounger though! :D:p:)

They do have small signs on them and different colored cushions, as well as sitting next to an obvious door to the cabin. Not sure misuse of these loungers is still the problem it once was when lanai cabins were first put in. Any first hand reports about this?

I have only been on this board for awhile as I took by first cruise on the Zuiderdam to the Panama Canal this January. I read through the threads and was wondering if I was getting on a bucket of rust after reading the reviews on here about her. Now I read this thread bashing lanais, removal of aft pools and others talk about the horrible food, people running in the halls and the scourge of the earth, smokers (I am one by the way), why in the heck would you ever want to cruise HAL? Do you want people to continue to sail with HAL or do you want to complain so much about the line that you potentially scare everyone away to another cruiseline so it goes bankrupt? Sheesh people is it worth all the vitriolic language and rudeness to others over such trivial matters?

Archived