Grand dry dock schedule

butternut1

Does anyone know if the Grand is scheduled for dry dock again in the near future? I have read numerous reports of staterooms needing updating and plumbing problems. Someone recently told me that it was going into dry dock for these issues but didn't know when. Thanks so much.

She was in drydock for three weeks last year with a huge make-over. Don't expect there will another one soon.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, but with ongoing problems that have been reported with the plumbing, I thought that there may be some truth to the rumors of another dry dock. Thanks for the replies... I do appreciate it.

There have been some "live from the Grand" reports very recently, this morning in fact, that indicated that there have still been some plumbing problems in the rooms and the poster indicated that they heard that the ship was going to be sent back to dry dock to work on the room problems. This is the third or fourth live report that has indicated plumbing problems in the rooms.

There have been some "live from the Grand" reports very recently, this morning in fact, that indicated that there have still been some plumbing problems in the rooms and the poster indicated that they heard that the ship was going to be sent back to dry dock to work on the room problems. This is the third or fourth live report that has indicated plumbing problems in the rooms.

Unfortunately, anything short of replacing the plumbing system is not going to permanently fix the problem, just like there are issues with the elevators, both of which cannot be replaced without huge expense, and cutting out large portions of hull. At 12 years old, Grand is quite an old ship. They say every year a cruise ship is at sea is equivalent to 2 years of wear and tear. That takes its toll on things like machinery which cannot be easily replaced.

I also think while Princess spent millions refurbishing the public areas, which look fantastic, they put very little if anything into the cabins. They should have completely refurbished them, considering how old they are, and the reports of rusting and worn furnishings, along with the infamous lack of balcony mats, as Princess didn't want to replace them, so they simply took them out and left the painted metal, which causes issues with water draining away.

For a 12 year old ship, Grand deserved a full makeover, both public areas and cabins. The drydock was only half done, in my opinion.

I just spent two weeks on the Grand, and while we had no plumbing problems, there does seem to be elevator problems. Those elevators are worn; they creak and some inch along like a snail. I didn't hear of anyone getting stuck in one (we did and lots of others did last year), but they are in need of a major do-over.

At 12 years old, Grand is quite an old ship. For a 12 year old ship, Grand deserved a full makeover, both public areas and cabins. The drydock was only half done, in my opinion.

The expected useful life of a cruise ship is far, far in excess of 12 years. None of the cruise lines would be in business if they had to replace their complete fleet that often. I doubt you could find a 12 year old hotel with 2600 guests anywhere that doesn't have some maintenance issues, let alone one that travels thousands of miles a year under its own power.

As far as plumbiing problems in individual cabins I'd bet that 99% of the time the "problem" is because somebody threw the wrong thing into the toilet, not with any actual system design problem.

The Boeing 747 airplane has been flying for 40 years and still going strong.

The SS Norway sailed for almost 40 years but I agree she was well past her prime when I sailed her in 1999.

I had lunch with the Chief Engineer last week at the "most travelled party" and he is justifiably proud of his ship and crew.

I just spent two weeks on the Grand, and while we had no plumbing problems, there does seem to be elevator problems. Those elevators are worn; they creak and some inch along like a snail. I didn't hear of anyone getting stuck in one (we did and lots of others did last year), but they are in need of a major do-over.

We were on the Grand in December (and coming up again in March), and there were elevator issues our week as well. One of the aft elevators didn't work at all, and one of the forward elevators was out of order most of the week. It didn't really affect us at all, but it was noticeable.

Mike

We were on the Grand in December (and coming up again in March), and there were elevator issues our week as well. One of the aft elevators didn't work at all, and one of the forward elevators was out of order most of the week. It didn't really affect us at all, but it was noticeable.

Mike

I have no way to know the frequency of elevator problems on any ship but did experience repeated problems on some of the Crown's elevators & other ships also. With as often as elevators on any ship are used they may experience more problems. Whether it's a design issue, lack of preventative maintenance or by frequent usage, breakdowns & repairs may be inevitible...or not.

They say every year a cruise ship is at sea is equivalent to 2 years of wear and tear.

I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure cruise ships are built specifically to be out at sea. So I would think one year of wear and tear is equivalent to one year of expected wear and tear on a ship. Cruise ships have been around a long time, and I think they've got a good feel of the wear and tear.

The use of the cabins and how some treat them are the reason for the wear and tear. When you see scarred up furniture, filthy chairs with stains , carpets that are stained beyond cleaning, someone did this.

However, it is still the responsibility of the cruise line to replace things that are beyond cleaning or fixing.

Last year on the Grand, when our toilets didn't flush, wasn't anything we did. Maybe someone else along the same line did something. However, when it happens constantly all over the ship, it is the system that is

the problem.I hope this issue is resolved. Haven't heard recent complaints.

We will be sailing on the Grand next year and am hopeful that all problems are resolved.

We were on the Grand 1/28-2/4 and all the complaints on this board had me worried. I found the room clean and very habitable. The bathroom was clean without mold or dirt in the shower.

The decor was identical to the room we were in on our last cruise in 2008 but it was still looking good. No problems with the plumbing. Our room was C-308.

Sue

When I replied earlier I only addressed the problem area I saw which was the elevators. We were in a Lido deck room, saw minimal wear and tear, not enough to create any concerns.

Overall we found the ship to be in wonderful shape for it's age, and the dry dock from last year really created a beautiful new atrium. The One5 was really nice looking as well.

No issues booking her for us, in fact we will be on again in March.

Mike

We were on the Grand Jan 20-Feb 4 and had problems. We are long time Princess cruisers and so looked forward to the "new" Grand as we had also sailed on her when she was very new. We found our room to be very well worn, carpet soiled, and beds were shaped like a nest they were so saggy, Additionally, we had two overflows from the bathroom. The second one wet the carpet in the cabin. This was a stressful 2 weeks and a trip I don't care to repeat.:(

We were on the Grand Jan 20-Feb 4 and had problems. We are long time Princess cruisers and so looked forward to the "new" Grand as we had also sailed on her when she was very new. We found our room to be very well worn, carpet soiled, and beds were shaped like a nest they were so saggy, Additionally, we had two overflows from the bathroom. The second one wet the carpet in the cabin. This was a stressful 2 weeks and a trip I don't care to repeat.:(

OMG, I am so sorry that you experienced that. How awful. If you don't mind my asking, which cabin did you have? Did you hear of others on the ship with similar problems? Such a shame. I so hope that your next cruise is all that it should be and more!

OMG, I am so sorry that you experienced that. How awful. If you don't mind my asking, which cabin did you have? Did you hear of others on the ship with similar problems? Such a shame. I so hope that your next cruise is all that it should be and more!

While we were just on for two weeks too (2/4 - 2/18) none in our party experienced any plumbing problems. Our cabins were on Emerald, Caribe and Plaza and none were interiors. I also knew at least 6 other couples aboard and nobody had plumbing issues.

While we were just on for two weeks too (2/4 - 2/18) none in our party experienced any plumbing problems. Our cabins were on Emerald, Caribe and Plaza and none were interiors. I also knew at least 6 other couples aboard and nobody had plumbing issues.

Hmmm, thanks Pia. Have you or anyone else heard of any issues on Dolphin Deck by any chance? We're booked for later this year and I must say, I am getting a little concerned because I've read so many posts recently about issues with the stateroom as well as the plumbing. I'm so glad that you and your friends did not encounter such issues.

Hmmm, thanks Pia. Have you or anyone else heard of any issues on Dolphin Deck by any chance? We're booked for later this year and I must say, I am getting a little concerned because I've read so many posts recently about issues with the stateroom as well as the plumbing. I'm so glad that you and your friends did not encounter such issues.

Margie: We were on the 16 day cruise out of drydock last May and even then we encountered no insurmountable problems. Lots of others did, though some were not as huge as when they were happening. This time, we heard nothing from anyone. I myself commented on the elevators, but that's because they are worn. At times, one was out of service, but that was no big deal. So many people are impatient if they have to wait a few second longer than usual. I too was annoyed at having to wait for elevators to go down one floor, simply because my cabin was right smack in the middle and the Grand has no middle stairs for passenger use.

Not to worry. You will have a great cruise.

Thanks, Pia. After our last cruise which was the one to "no where" on Feb 4th Crown, I guess I'm just a bit paranoid about things that can go wrong. I just need to start thinking positive....:)

That was a bummer. But, S*** happens, and on the Crown, quite literally. Joking aside, that nasty Noro rears itself regularly, but it seems the only time you hear about it is when it's a cruise ship. My sister is getting on the Crown March 10th and she's a bit anxious too.

We were in C529 and while Carib is our fav place to be I don't want a repeat of this room ever.

Archived