Princess Transfer to Port after red-eye

OnlineMom

Hello! What time might a family expect to be transferred (through Princess) from FLL to Port Everglades after a red-eye flight? Once their checked luggage is retrieved, will they have time to enjoy breakfast at the airport? I don't imagine they'd be put right on a bus if arriving around 6 AM...

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but once you have retrieved your baggage, I am not sure there is any place for you to have breakfast.

Also, if there a group of you, it is much cheaper(and more timely) to grab a cab(s) then taking the Princess transfer.

Hmm - I looked at the FLL airport website and there appeared to be at least a few restaurants (Dunkin' Donuts etc.)... My question is actually for another family. We don't care much for red-eye flights and prefer, rather, to fly in the day before. They couldn't swing it this trip because of work schedules. I understand that a cab for this family of 5 may be less expensive than the Princess transfers but - even that woudn't be ideal, I don't think. What would they do at Port Everglades at 6 o'clock in the morning? There's not much there if my memory serves me! ;) I was hoping they could have breakfast at FLL before catching the Princess bus to the port and was just wondering how Princess transfers that early in the morning work, exactly.

Hello! What time might a family expect to be transferred (through Princess) from FLL to Port Everglades after a red-eye flight? Once their checked luggage is retrieved, will they have time to enjoy breakfast at the airport? I don't imagine they'd be put right on a bus if arriving around 6 AM...

Thanks!

The transfers that I have done (not at FLL, but they all should be basically the same) is that they start leaving the airport around noon-ish.

Hmm - I looked at the FLL airport website and there appeared to be at least a few restaurants (Dunkin' Donuts etc.)... My question is actually for another family. We don't care much for red-eye flights and prefer, rather, to fly in the day before. They couldn't swing it this trip because of work schedules. I understand that a cab for this family of 5 may be less expensive than the Princess transfers but - even that woudn't be ideal, I don't think. What would they do at Port Everglades at 6 o'clock in the morning? There's not much there if my memory serves me! ;) I was hoping they could have breakfast at FLL before catching the Princess bus to the port and was just wondering how Princess transfers that early in the morning work, exactly.

Right....different terminals have various eateries, some pre-security and some post security, but they are all on the level above the baggage collection area, so they will have to go upstairs to eat. I was trying to say that there is nothing to eat on the baggage collection area...

A phone call to princess regarding the bus timetable would be a good idea, but it will likely be a long wait, as mentioned above. They try to avoid passenges and their luggage arriving while other passengers are still getting off the ship.

Bad choice of flights for sure.

I am not aware of any resturants after you leave the security area into baggage claim at least in the SWA terminal. There are minimal in the concourse but but I have no idea if they would even be open at 6.

The bigger question is where to go after the airport? Princess usually opens the doors for checkin about 11:30... sometimes even later. There really is nowhere at the port to sit and wait...it is an industrialzed area.

Suggest you search/ask about for something to do as an alternative... maybe some decent local resturant to go to for breakfast...might give considertion to cancelling the Princess transfer and taking a taxi (which is usually cheaper and more convienent).

I'm sure they would not be the first ones to come by red eye...others may have some good ideas.

Just a suggestion, take a taxi to one of the major hotels on 17thstreet. Store cases, have breakfast at the hotel, or one of the places around there, walk around a little, and a 12:00 a cab to the port. Check out the port site florida for information. Not much at the airport.

Bad choice of flights for sure.

I am not aware of any resturants after you leave the security area into baggage claim at least in the SWA terminal. There are minimal in the concourse but but I have no idea if they would even be open at 6.

The bigger question is where to go after the airport? Princess usually opens the doors for checkin about 11:30... sometimes even later. There really is nowhere at the port to sit and wait...it is an industrialzed area.

Suggest you search/ask about for something to do as an alternative... maybe some decent local resturant to go to for breakfast...might give considertion to cancelling the Princess transfer and taking a taxi (which is usually cheaper and more convienent).

I'm sure they would not be the first ones to come by red eye...others may have some good ideas.

If you are flying from the West Coast, sometimes you don't really have much of a "choice" for flights - you either spend all day flying (from like 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. taking into account different time zones) or take a red-eye.

To OnlineMom: We didn't use Princess transfers, but we just last month flew into FLL on the red-eye from LAX. We landed at 6:30, got our luggage and then went back up the escalator to the pre-security area. It was not that big a deal to carry our bags up one escalator flight. There are chairs, a Dunkin Donuts, a smoothie place and another restaurant that opened a bit later, I think it was a Chile's. This was in the American terminal. I'm sure the other terminals are similar, the FLL website does show what restaurants are in the pre-security areas of each terminal. We just relaxed, ate and read for a while and then around 9:30 went back downstairs and got a taxi to Port Everglades. We were able to check our luggage at around 10:15 and then walked out of the port to 17th Street, there are Starbucks, Panera, etc. where you can also sit and use wi-fi. We ran errands and then came back to board later, after 1:00. It was not ideal to have to wait around at the airport for that long, but it was doable. Another option would be to take a cab directly to Starbucks or Panera (plenty of people in there with suitcases) but then they would have to pay cab fare again to get into the port (it's walkable, but wouldn't be fun if you were pulling suitcases).

Thanks!

Here's a list of everything at FLL including opening hours. Lots of places to get a bite open by 6am

I would just take a cab to the port... you didn't say how many are in the group, but if it's more than one it's not only faster to Taxi it, it's likely cheaper

http://www.ifly.com/fort-lauderdale-hollywood-international-airport/shops-stores

If you are flying from the West Coast, sometimes you don't really have much of a "choice" for flights - you either spend all day flying (from like 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. taking into account different time zones) or take a red-eye.

Agreed! And if you're working the day before your cruise, sometimes a red-eye is the only available option.

To OnlineMom: We didn't use Princess transfers, but we just last month flew into FLL on the red-eye from LAX. We landed at 6:30, got our luggage and then went back up the escalator to the pre-security area. It was not that big a deal to carry our bags up one escalator flight. There are chairs, a Dunkin Donuts, a smoothie place and another restaurant that opened a bit later, I think it was a Chile's. This was in the American terminal. I'm sure the other terminals are similar, the FLL website does show what restaurants are in the pre-security areas of each terminal. We just relaxed, ate and read for a while and then around 9:30 went back downstairs and got a taxi to Port Everglades. We were able to check our luggage at around 10:15 and then walked out of the port to 17th Street, there are Starbucks, Panera, etc. where you can also sit and use wi-fi. We ran errands and then came back to board later, after 1:00. It was not ideal to have to wait around at the airport for that long, but it was doable. Another option would be to take a cab directly to Starbucks or Panera (plenty of people in there with suitcases) but then they would have to pay cab fare again to get into the port (it's walkable, but wouldn't be fun if you were pulling suitcases).

Thanks so much for the information - I'll pass it along!

Actually I prefer taking the red-eye from the Left Coast to FLL. I usually arrive about 10:30 a.m. and just head to the port. In your friends case, consider the McDonalds on Sterling Rd, it's right next door to the Comfort Inn, and they will be open at that time of the morning.

Thanks!

Cruise Personalizer will specify the times coordinators are available. The following is typical:

"Coordinators, wearing red jackets or vests, are available to assist you

between 7:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m."

Cruise Personalizer will also provide instuctions when arriving between 2AM and 7AM. It's usually a phone number.

It's unlikely the transfer buses will begin running before @ 10AM, so

the family will have more than adequate time for breakfast.

Their quandary will be how to occupy the time until the transfer buses start running.:p

It sounds like you are flying Jetblue with 6am landing. I'm virtually doing the same thing except that I will be flying in from San Francisco instead of LA.

My plan is get my luggage. Find a quiet area to maybe rest for a while then

go upstairs to the departure area to have breakfast at Dunkin Donuts.

After 9am take a cab to Port Everglades however I will be doing a pick-up at

the Harbor Shops near 17th St. Causeway (pick up my order of wine at Total Wine) and then onward to Terminal 2 (or possibly 21). In any case, a taxi van would be alot cheaper than the Princess transfers. If you have two cabs, it would still be alot cheaper than the Princess transfers - $15 a cab from FLL. (If you are interested in ordering wine for pick-up, look at

http://www.totalwine.com.)

When we had Princess transfers at LAX, arriving at 7AM, they loaded our luggage on a truck and took us to a local hotel (Crowne Plaza) with a nice continental breakfast to wait until around noon for transfers. In FLL it is the same, people are picked up at FLL and taken to a hotel (Renaissance Hotel) until it was time for the transfers.

If you are arriving the day of the cruise I think it's well worth the price of the transfer. A bonus is you get an informal M&G with fellow passengers and don't have to deal with your luggage. :)

When we had Princess transfers at LAX, arriving at 7AM, they loaded our luggage on a truck and took us to a local hotel (Crowne Plaza) with a nice continental breakfast to wait until around noon for transfers. In FLL it is the same, people are picked up at FLL and taken to a hotel (Renaissance Hotel) until it was time for the transfers.

If you are arriving the day of the cruise I think it's well worth the price of the transfer. A bonus is you get an informal M&G with fellow passengers and don't have to deal with your luggage. :)

Did you need to claim your luggage again after you arrived at the port, then give it to the porter? Or after the luggage get loaded at the airport, it get delivered to your cabin directly? For LAX, Princess shuttle took you to the port from the hotel around noon, was it the same for FLL? I will arrive FLL at 6 a.m.

Thank you.

Cruise Personalizer will specify the times coordinators are available. The following is typical:

"Coordinators, wearing red jackets or vests, are available to assist you

between 7:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m."

Cruise Personalizer will also provide instuctions when arriving between 2AM and 7AM. It's usually a phone number.

It's unlikely the transfer buses will begin running before @ 10AM, so

the family will have more than adequate time for breakfast.

Their quandary will be how to occupy the time until the transfer buses start running.:p

Princess told me yesterday that the reps don't arrive at FLL until 9 AM so they'll have 3 hours to kill. (Better them than me! ;))

I haven't seen that information in the Cruise Personalizer - I'll have to take another look...

It sounds like you are flying Jetblue with 6am landing. I'm virtually doing the same thing except that I will be flying in from San Francisco instead of LA.

They're actually flying Virgin America.

My plan is get my luggage. Find a quiet area to maybe rest for a while then go upstairs to the departure area to have breakfast at Dunkin Donuts. After 9am take a cab to Port Everglades however I will be doing a pick-up at the Harbor Shops near 17th St. Causeway (pick up my order of wine at Total Wine) and then onward to Terminal 2 (or possibly 21). In any case, a taxi van would be alot cheaper than the Princess transfers. If you have two cabs, it would still be alot cheaper than the Princess transfers - $15 a cab from FLL. (If you are interested in ordering wine for pick-up, look at

www.totalwine.com.)

Sounds like a good plan! I don't envy our friends - 2 adults traveling with 3 kids (11, 15 and 15). We've done the red-eye from Los Angeles a handful of times before a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale and it's never fun. We are fried by the time we get off of the plane and find our way to a hotel for a few hours of sleep - bleary-eyed and exhausted. They had a few reasons for not getting a hotel. They'll be fine - it'll be a long night/day but I'm confident they'll get a "second wind" once they get on the ship and will sleep GOOD that first night!

Are you certain that's something that is offered through Princess at FLL? I agree - something like that would definitely make an uber-early arrival more tolerable!

What we have done coming from LAX to FLL on the red eye we go to a hotel near the airport. If they belong to a hotel loyalty program they can inquire as to what is around the airport. The hotels have vans that will pick you up from the terminal. We leave our bags with the bell captain and make arrangements for a room for 1/2 day or we go eat breakfast in the restaurant and then go to the pool area and take a nap on a chaise lounge. We then collect our bags have them call us a cab and off we go. This has worked for us many times.

...Sounds like a good plan! I don't envy our friends - 2 adults traveling with 3 kids (11, 15 and 15). We've done the red-eye from Los Angeles a handful of times before a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale and it's never fun. We are fried by the time we get off of the plane and find our way to a hotel for a few hours of sleep - bleary-eyed and exhausted. They had a few reasons for not getting a hotel. They'll be fine - it'll be a long night/day but I'm confident they'll get a "second wind" once they get on the ship and will sleep GOOD that first night!

I don't envy them at all either. We've done a few red-eyes with our sons when they were those ages and they didn't sleep a wink all night, then were completely wiped out the next day. By the third or fourth day, they've recuperated, half-way into the vacation.

That's great if Princess will take you to a hotel if you purchase their transfers. I've never heard of them doing that for US passengers - only the Brits on charters. Just keep in mind that if the Princess personnel are SUPPOSED to be there at 7am "to assist" you, don't count on that transfer bus actually leaving for quite a long time.

IMO, FLL's food choices are pretty bad. There's nothing that is like a normal restaurant for breakfast that I've ever seen - it's all quickie places.

I don't envy them at all either. We've done a few red-eyes with our sons when they were those ages and they didn't sleep a wink all night, then were completely wiped out the next day. By the third or fourth day, they've recuperated, half-way into the vacation.

That's great if Princess will take you to a hotel if you purchase their transfers. I've never heard of them doing that for US passengers - only the Brits on charters. Just keep in mind that if the Princess personnel are SUPPOSED to be there at 7am "to assist" you, don't count on that transfer bus actually leaving for quite a long time.

IMO, FLL's food choices are pretty bad. There's nothing that is like a normal restaurant for breakfast that I've ever seen - it's all quickie places.

Ditto that!

Maybe I missed them, but the only ones I've seen are within the "secure" areas. :confused:

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Terminals/Pages/Restaurants.aspx

Archived