Espresso

leonardofan

There is always a lot of heated discussion about whether food is getting

worse over time. I hasven't found it so--my last X cruise had the best

food of the five I've taken over the years. BUT what has varied horribly

has been the quality of espresso in Cova--from great to swill to mediocre.

What experience have people had with the new non-Cova espresso bars?

There is always a lot of heated discussion about whether food is getting

worse over time. I hasven't found it so--my last X cruise had the best

food of the five I've taken over the years. BUT what has varied horribly

has been the quality of espresso in Cova--from great to swill to mediocre.

I thought that the espresso tasted stale but thought maybe it was just me. I just started sipping Bailey's with the espresso. :p

Just got off the Millennium. The food in the MDR was excellent, every single night. Although it was a short cruise, I was impressed. Great job Celebrity!

The coffee, not so much. :eek: Not even the $5 cappuccino at the Cova Cafe.

Good coffee is a must. Celebrity, take heed!

I have had a multitude of experiences at Cafe al Bacio on both the Equinox and Eclipse, and Cova on Summit...which is why, as I have stated before in other threads, I am happy I had the Beverage Package (if its not great, I just get another !!:D) I do not drink straight espresso, but do purchase espresso based drinks (usually lattes and cappuccinos), and have had drinks that are sometimes lukewarm, too hot, cup only half full, cup spilling over, espresso sat too long before milk was added etc...so often the quality is based on how it is prepared and served...which of course can vary greatly.

But, as with any coffee, good espresso comes from good beans, well roasted, freshly ground, quality water, freshly pulled, freshly served...and until Celebrity jumps onboard (pun intended) with my idea of a Coffee Roastery/Cafe....the quality is going to vary some ! It's still better than what comes from the machines in the Oceanview Cafe ! (just my opinion)

Enjoy !

Woody

Just got off the Millennium. The food in the MDR was excellent, every single night. Although it was a short cruise, I was impressed. Great job Celebrity!

The coffee, not so much. :eek: Not even the $5 cappuccino at the Cova Cafe.

Good coffee is a must. Celebrity, take heed!

We are on Millennium in about 3 weeks. I'll make sure I mention something to the head of the beverage department, met him on our last cruise and he was really nice and very approachable.

I have had a multitude of experiences at Cafe al Bacio on both the Equinox and Eclipse, and Cova on Summit...which is why, as I have stated before in other threads, I am happy I had the Beverage Package (if its not great, I just get another !!:D) I do not drink straight espresso, but do purchase espresso based drinks (usually lattes and cappuccinos), and have had drinks that are sometimes lukewarm, too hot, cup only half full, cup spilling over, espresso sat too long before milk was added etc...so often the quality is based on how it is prepared and served...which of course can vary greatly.

But, as with any coffee, good espresso comes from good beans, well roasted, freshly ground, quality water, freshly pulled, freshly served...and until Celebrity jumps onboard (pun intended) with my idea of a Coffee Roastery/Cafe....the quality is going to vary some ! It's still better than what comes from the machines in the Oceanview Cafe ! (just my opinion)

Enjoy !

Woody

I am like you we have been on several X ships and the coffee does vary. We sail on Eclipse for the first time in November. I'll have to see how that goes.

As for roasting coffee on board I am not sure I would like to smell burnt beans. I love the smell of a good roast but if by chance they get roasted too long...ewww! And it takes quite a bit of time to be a good bean roaster.

As for roasting coffee on board I am not sure I would like to smell burnt beans. I love the smell of a good roast but if by chance they get roasted too long...ewww! And it takes quite a bit of time to be a good bean roaster.

True...but the aroma from a good roasting is INTOXICATING !!...and I feel confident I would have the bean roasting down like an expert after my first few, FREE, shakedown cruises !! (You reading this Celebrity ??!! ) :D:D

Woody

We are on Millennium in about 3 weeks. I'll make sure I mention something to the head of the beverage department' date=' met him on our last cruise and he was really nice and very approachable.[/quote']

Great suggestion...let me me be more specific then. After dinner coffee in MDR was drinkable. Not so for coffee served at breakfast and lunch buffet, IMHO. Cova coffee was very weak but I didn't try the espresso. People next to me returned their coffee and had to order espresso with extra water.

Surprising that they can't seem to serve consistently good coffee that is on par with their food, as there is such a huge market for it these days and it's not that hard!

Thanks for the warnings about MDR coffee though. I won't waste my time on it. Will just hit the cafe AB and get the most out of my non-alc bevvy package.

Great suggestion...let me me be more specific then. After dinner coffee in MDR was drinkable. Not so for coffee served at breakfast and lunch buffet, IMHO. Cova coffee was very weak but I didn't try the espresso. People next to me returned their coffee and had to order espresso with extra water.

I will make sure to relay your words.

I'll post back to relay what their excuses are for bad coffee ;)

Archived