Lobsters in Halifax

There are several waterfront restaurants which offer whole cooked lobsters. Since there is no fancy cooking involved (boil for 20 minutes or so in salted water!) you can go to a less expensive place. I am guessing that the Waterfront Warehouse http://www.rcr.ca/restaurants/waterfront-warehouse/ would fill the bill. You can also get lobster at Saltys: http://www.saltys.ca/ The Bicycle Thief was serving a lot of lobster when we were there last week. http://bicyclethief.ca/

Two restaurants known for fish are the Five Fishermen and McKelvies. Both of these are near the waterfront.

Thanks for the links ... the Bicycle Thief looks like the type of eatery my husband and I like best:) Since fresh lobster are never to be found in our neck of the woods we intend of gorging ourselves on them every chance we can on our upcoming cruise:) We have a tour lined up already with a local, and have an option of stopping for lobsters somewhere along the way, or he could drop us off downtown and we can walk back to the pier and have our lobster/lunch somewhere in that vicinity. First option, of course, would be a longer tour and cost more. He mentioned a place called the Lobster Pound, I believe. Decisions, decisions!

The bicycle thief has very good food and a boisterous atmosphere (at least at night). There are tables with a great view of the water.

I am not sure where the Lobster Pound is. That is the generic name for any place which keeps live lobster in tanks.

There was another thread a while back and I bookmarked the grocery.

They had recemmended just going to the store and buying precooked locally at the store. I love going to local stores anyway.

This link allows you to look for any store locale.

http://www.loblaws.ca/LCLOnline/store_selector.jsp?_requestid=828409

In Canda, Loblaws stores are found only in Québec and Ontario, so it won't help anyone who is in Halifax. If OP wants a market, they can look at Atlantic Superstore.

superstores are part of Loblaws. There is one very near the port and they do have live and cooked lobsters.

True, but no way this poster would know that using the link provided, that's why I mentioned Atlantic.

I am just thinking how one would eat a lobster purchased at the store. Do you take it back to the ship and ask for butter and utensils?

As always, I am puzzled by all the many lobster inquiries, and not just in this specific forum. Is lobster not available almost anyplace in the US/Canada? It's not as if it's a bargain when you are cruising. Maybe people save it for a special treat while on vacation.

There is a real difference between fresh lobster and lobster that has been in a tank (pound) for weeks. I will only eat lobster that has been caught that day, but then I live in lobsterland and can do that. I can even tell the difference between lobster caught in cold water and that from the Northumberland Strait in August/September.

Another possible source for lobster in Halifax is from trucks parked in shopping areas. One place I see them is at Bayers Lake in the Kent store parking lot. These are legal and are run by local fishermen. You can ask when and where the lobster was caught. The prices are very good.

Next best is lobster that has been very recently caught in a place close to where it has been caught. That is why people want lobster when they go to Nova Scotia.

Next best is lobster that has been very recently caught in a place close to where it has been caught. That is why people want lobster when they go to Nova Scotia.

If it's still lobster season, maybe they should just go down to the boats when they come in and purchase directly from the lobstermen; Lunenburg and Blue Rocks come to mind. You can't get fresher than that. Of course, if you are on a ship, where will you cook it?

I forgot Sobeys. Another store that should have lobster.

I'm expecting the lobsters in Nova Scotia to be the best ... such as the Alaskan King Crab was in Juneau..:) Can't wait!!!

Sorry...

But the best lobster is from Lords Lobster Pound in Wells Beach, Maine.

Caught, kept in seawater on the boat. Kept in seawater in the pound and

cooked in seawater.

We won't argue about Maine Lobster as it is from the same waters. We always cook ours in seawater too, but try to avoid the pound part of it. Yum.

We buy ours by waiting at the dock for the fishermen to come in.

Apparently at the Seaport Farmers Market in Halifax beside the cruise pier, they have a fish shop which will sell fresh cooked lobster and have it cracked open for you.

I'm expecting the lobsters in Nova Scotia to be the best ... such as the Alaskan King Crab was in Juneau..:) Can't wait!!!

We live near Boston and are used to wonderful lobsters but enjoy those we have in Halifax every summer even more than those we get from our local lobster pound which are outstanding. Anyone would call them wonderful but we think them even better (slightly :) ) in Halifax.

Apparently at the Seaport Farmers Market in Halifax beside the cruise pier, they have a fish shop which will sell fresh cooked lobster and have it cracked open for you.

Yes, The Fish Shop is tremendous. In fact, the Seaport Farmers Market has a TON of great local food items there in addition to the hand crafted items.

My girlfriend and I go there about once every two weeks. We love it.

http://halifaxfarmersmarket.com/

I was born in New England and my grandfather used to be a lobster fisherman for a while so fresh seafood was a natural for me. Then I found my way to the Pacific coast to live for 20 years and now Montana......have not gotten use to the fresh water fish yet but I am working on it. My husband (from the midwest) and I are going on the Montreal-Boston cruise in May. I told him he has to have as much lobster as he can eat....he said "But I have had it in a restaurants before..." I said.....yea right! Is he in for a pleasant surprise.:p

Archived