Cruise Insurance - Yes or No?

BeckNCall

The OP simply asked if they should get insurance or not...

I think some post have gotten a little out of hand here. I am glad some people feel they can afford to loose money- I work for school system which is very ify now a days and I don't make much so I know I can't afford to loose my money.

Everyone knows where they stand financially in this unstable economic system. Where is the OP anyways?

macruisefan,

I think it has to do with Andy's frame of reference -- he does travel with elderly relatives, so I think that's his motivation.

I do agree with you about each person's personal need for insurance. Fear, fear, fear, is a way of life with most people. In 42 cruises I've never purchased insurance -- there's a reason these companies are so wealthy. In fact, my auto/home insurance companies' CEO made over 100 million dollars last year.

My health insurance covers me all over the world. I have a very small yearly evacuation policy and my credit card company covers all my rental car insurance needs. For lost money on travel, cruises..., -- I'm self insured.

If I can't make, so what, that's life. This again, is one of those small reasons I can afford to travel eight to ten weeks of the year. Inside cabins, no insurance, Priceline, self guided shore excursions, cheap airline tickets...,

In 30 years of extensive travel, the only time I've made an insurance claim is when a deer ran into the side of my rental car in San Antonio, TX. They covered 90%.

Insurance companies are not rich because they pay out every claim people make. So I think most people can calm their fears, with a little peace of mind, in the form of travel insurance.:)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

The health insurance component is a small part of the cost. Cancellation of the cruise or trip is the big cost. My second cruise had to be cancelled due to my elderly Mother's terminal cancer. That trip insurance paid off enough for me to pay for insurance for at least 15 more cruises.

Noticed a lot of "we buy it because if a family member falls ill we have to get off the ship no matter where it is", is a personal condition we don't have to worry about. Maybe if we had family that could interrupt our trip we may consider the cancel for any reason stuff.

If we fall ill during the trip, we're covered with our year round coverage and VISA's extra protection.

We have no family either........ we could be each others:p

I think I posted my wording wrong, I understand what you meant. Will have to look into this Visa extra protection thing tho, cause believe me I use that card enough:D

We were stranded in Barcelona a few years ago after our cruise because of the Icelandic volcanic ash cloud. We had arranged our own flights as Oceania don't include flights for Brits. We had to attempt to get back using any methods possible which ended up with several nights hotel costs as well as bus, train and eurostar costs amounting to over a £1000! Thankfully, our insurance covered us for all but the excess payable charge.

When we first started cruising, insurance was important to us as my mother was elderly & not well. Now, we still take it and factor it into the price of our cruise. Twice - once on Celebrity and once on Princess we have had need to use it. For us, it has been a good decision and we will not cruise without it. No "right or wrong" here - just what works for us.

I didn't believe in insurance until my 7.5 month old son died from SIDS in December. You never know what curve balls life will throw at you.

I'm also am sorry for your loss too. Nothing more precious than a babe'.

We often get carried away here and forget what others are experiancing in their own lives, what colours our posts. Your loss reminds us of what we should be thankful for each and every day.

The health insurance component is a small part of the cost. Cancellation of the cruise or trip is the big cost. My second cruise had to be cancelled due to my elderly Mother's terminal cancer. That trip insurance paid off enough for me to pay for insurance for at least 15 more cruises.

You missed the cruise and you got some money back! I've saved over $10,000 by not purchasing the insurance to begin with. Everyone has a different frame of reference.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

The real key is if you're willing to self insure. You can save it on the front end and some day it may cost you tons more on the back end. But you'll never know until you actually need it. If you look at the cost vs. the risk, it's usually a small amount.

You have homeowners or renters insurance? You have hurricane or earthquake coverage? Auto minimums are required but do you have more coverage? What about Life or disability insurance? If you have those you understand that unexpected things occur. But if you have enough of your own money to cover ANY contingency at any amount, then no problem. You don't need no stikin travel insurance. :D

You have homeowners or renters insurance? You have hurricane or earthquake coverage? Auto minimums are required but do you have more coverage? What about Life or disability insurance? If you have those you understand that unexpected things occur. But if you have enough of your own money to cover ANY contingency at any amount, then no problem. You don't need no stikin travel insurance. :D

Interesting points, but there is a unique difference with insurance for travel. My single biggest asset is my business. I cannot maintain a profitable business if I cannot work. Therefore, I have disability insurance.

I have not yet paid off my home. If something were to happen to me, I would not want my family burdened with having to pay for the home. Therefore, I have enough life insurance to pay it off (and as the principal drops, so will the size of the policy).

I am required by law to have auto insurance. I carry the minimum except for liability. Again, I am looking at where I am vulnerable.

Travel insurance on the other hand, primarily exists to cover losses associated with missing out on a trip. And while having to cancel a trip would be unfortunate, I would still have a roof over my head, and a job that makes me a good living. Seeing as I pay for all my vacations in advance, it is essentially money already spent. I do not suffer some additional financial burden by missing out.

As for the medical expenses, emergency care, etc.... I know what my health insurance can cover, and I have made a calculated risk assessment. And frankly, I am willing to roll the proverbial dice.

macruisefan, I see you helped make my point. You have enough where the loss doesn't adversely affect you thus you don't need or want the protection. Any type of insurance only covers risks people aren't willing to assume themselves.

Everyone has their own opinion about that which is valid to their POV.

macruisefan, I see you helped make my point. You have enough where the loss doesn't adversely affect you thus you don't need or want the protection. Any type of insurance only covers risks people aren't willing to assume themselves.

Everyone has their own opinion about that which is valid to their POV.

I agree. What I was trying to say (posted before coffee...LOL!) is that the extreme cost burdens (i.e. not losing the cruise fare, but incurring additional medical and transport expenses) are the reason I would consider protection. And in reality, I'm a lot more concerned about incurring huge expenses because of liability in a car accident or problem at my house- things that could happen any day of the year. Does that make sense?

And in reality, I'm a lot more concerned about incurring huge expenses because of liability in a car accident or problem at my house- things that could happen any day of the year. Does that make sense?

Yup. Absolutely makes sense...especially in this litigious society. As an entrepreneur, you have a lot more to lose than someone who has no assets. That's why I always buy the most insurance they're willing to sell me.

Contrary to some people's opinion, good insurance companies won't sell you more coverage than is justified. It's called adverse risk for them. If you can buy too much, people are more likely to figure a way to file a claim because the reward is greater than the risk.

The OP is here and ROTFL. OMG I just asked a simple question and didn't realize what I was in for. I probably will still purchase insurance, but now that it is past the original deposit date, I am a litte worried about pre-existing conditions and cancelling for any reason (which alot of the companies will not honor since it is 14+ days out.

The OP simply asked if they should get insurance or not...

I think some post have gotten a little out of hand here. I am glad some people feel they can afford to loose money- I work for school system which is very ify now a days and I don't make much so I know I can't afford to loose my money.

Everyone knows where they stand financially in this unstable economic system. Where is the OP anyways?

The OP is here and ROTFL. OMG I just asked a simple question and didn't realize what I was in for.

.... doncha luv it?? :eek: You should see how confusing it gets when they start poofing posts:D conversations are all over the map... then the emotions jump in...... :eek: And finally, no one can remember the original topic.

I am another one who does not carry the insurance that everyone says is absolutely necessary.

I totally disagree with every previous post. Yes - you do need medical and evacuation insurance with evacuation that will take you home as these are the events that can cost really big money. However, you do not need any insurance that covers cancellation, delay, loss of luggage, etc. unless you can not bear the financial loss that will occur if you cancel, are delayed, etc.

I can handle that loss so I only have medical and evacuation. A policy that covers my wife and I for a full year that covers us for any place in the world as long as we are more than a couple of hundred miles from our home costs us about $400.

We used it for a 4 day hospital stay in Australia and it covered all our expenses including follow up visits without any problems.

DON

So, does your medical and evacuation policy cover removing you from the ship, or just flying you home from a land-based hospital? Apparently (see earlier post) policies such as Medjet Assist (which we carry) does NOT cover the ship-2 -shore part. I am calling Medjet tomorrow to verify this.

Kind of interesting to see a host/moderator weigh in so strongly on an issue that is far from black and white. If I didn't know better I'd almost wonder if Andy has some sort of financial incentive. :cool:

Truth be told, it's not important that you ultimately "always buy insurance", as some here have implored. Rather, it is important that you CONSIDER the benefits and coverage, and decide if YOU feel comfortable with or without it.

It's a profoundly personal question that has roots in a lot of major personal financial decisions we make in other aspects of our lives at well. Strange how those don't get painted with such clear black and white strokes on a message board like this one does.

I personally have never gotten travel insurance. I weigh the benefits and cost, and carefully consider the probability of needing it. And thus far, it has never tipped the scales in favor of the purchase. Now I will be curious who will be the first person so arrogant to just assume I haven't done even the slightest bit of research, and jumps in to remind me of some possibility that I haven't considered (please, I actually gave this some thought.) Likewise, people LOVE to share personal stories about how insurance helped them, or how they with they had it. That's all fine and good. However there is a saying: the plural of anecdote is NOT evidence.

This is a useful place to hear a lot about the benefits and limitations of insurance. But do not for a MINUTE think that the enthusiastic assertions that it is universally embraced pressure you.

Well said.

I confirmed today that Medjet won't pay to get you off the boat - only from the shore hospital to your hospital of choice.

This is why I have both regular travel insurance and MedJet Assist. I will never again rely upon travel insurance for the proper care of a sick person. Travel insurance will cover evacuation from the ship. Med Jet will get the sick person home to their own physician and hospital.

This is why I have both regular travel insurance and MedJet Assist. I will never again rely upon travel insurance for the proper care of a sick person. Travel insurance will cover evacuation from the ship. Med Jet will get the sick person home to their own physician and hospital.

I think I said this three pages ago....

Archived