New York City Pier

Pickels

We will sailing out of New York on the Noweigen STAR. Would someone tell me where exactly is the pier. Thanks.

street address is 711 12th avenue NY NY.

the motor entrance to the pier is at 54-55th street and 12th avenue.

NCL ships leave most time from pier 88 at 48th street and 12th avenue...

street address is 711 12th avenue NY NY.

the motor entrance to the pier is at 54-55th street and 12th avenue.

NCL ships leave most time from pier 88 at 48th street and 12th avenue...

So the ship's pier is usually at Pier 88 which is located at 48th St & 12th Avenue. Which means we have to enter at 54-55 street (motor entrance) and then drive to Pier 88 at 48th street. Wow.....okay....thank you :D

So the ship's pier is usually at Pier 88 which is located at 48th St & 12th Avenue. Which means we have to enter at 54-55 street (motor entrance) and then drive to Pier 88 at 48th street. Wow.....okay....thank you :D

Not as bad as it sounds... 55th Street is a one-way Westbound. At the very end you cross the intersection and turn left ...right into the entrance spur to the Cruise Terminal. There is a ramp right there to the upper deck where departing passenger drop-off is located.

(trick in NYC is to subtract 40 from the Pier number to find the street that faces it)....however, all the cross streets don't necessarily get access to the actual piers.

Dh and I are considering a cruise on the Gem from NYC roundtrip to Quebec in October '12. Are you all aware of convenient hotels in the area that offer shuttle service to the piers as well as allow you to park your car at hotel for length of cruise--as in Ft. Lauderdale? I am aware of the vast difference in the two places, but am an optomist!;)

Dh and I are considering a cruise on the Gem from NYC roundtrip to Quebec in October '12. Are you all aware of convenient hotels in the area that offer shuttle service to the piers as well as allow you to park your car at hotel for length of cruise--as in Ft. Lauderdale? I am aware of the vast difference in the two places' date=' but am an optomist!;)[/quote']

this just isn't available in NY city. There is a hotel in NJ that does this but you have to pay for the ride to the pier...

An option would be to park at the NY Waterway ferry at Port Imperial, NJ, right across the river. I believe they charge $10. a day which is a third the cost to park at the NY pier. The ferry ride is $9. each way per person, and lets you off at 39th street. So it is about a 10 block (half-mile) walk to the cruise terminal, but easy and level if you have wheeled luggage, or you can utilize their free buses that stop near the cruise terminal.

If you are staying in an NJ hotel, you wouldn't even need to drive across the Hudson and pay the Lincoln Tunnel toll. There is a nice Sheraton at Lincoln Harbor right across the river. I don't know what they would charge you for parking there, but there is limited ferry service right from that location, also.

We will sailing out of New York on the Noweigen STAR. Would someone tell me where exactly is the pier. Thanks.

If you are getting a ride to the pier by family / friends who want to drop you off, the easiest thing to do is cross the 59th St bridge, take 2nd Ave south to 47th St. When you get to the west side, go north one block to 48th St and have them drop you off there. Then you just have to cross the street to the pier. If you are leaving on a Saturday or Sunday, it's a relatively easy drive and only about 15 minutes once you get across the bridge.

Pick up the following week is basically the same, except cross from the pier to 48th, walk south to 47th and walk a little east - have your ride meet you there. Getting back home, just go north to 57th St and keep going to the bridge.

If you are getting a ride to the pier by family / friends who want to drop you off, the easiest thing to do is cross the 59th St bridge, take 2nd Ave south to 47th St. When you get to the west side, go north one block to 48th St and have them drop you off there. Then you just have to cross the street to the pier. If you are leaving on a Saturday or Sunday, it's a relatively easy drive and only about 15 minutes once you get across the bridge.

Pick up the following week is basically the same, except cross from the pier to 48th, walk south to 47th and walk a little east - have your ride meet you there. Getting back home, just go north to 57th St and keep going to the bridge.

actually I disagree.

First most people want to get dropped off so the porters can take your checked luggage which you have to do even if you get off across the street anyway.

I would go totally differently. Go across 57th street to its end, make the immediate right at 12th avenue making sure not to get on the highway(the right into the service road) ...make the first left you can(under the highway) and then the next left and follow that(the service road) directly into the pier. take the ramp up the first level and drop off your luggage where indicated for your ship.

If you are parking immediately after the up ramp take the ramp into the parking area. There will be porters to take your luggage in the front of the parking area(or there should be)....

actually I disagree.

First most people want to get dropped off so the porters can take your checked luggage which you have to do even if you get off across the street anyway.

I would go totally differently. Go across 57th street to its end, make the immediate right at 12th avenue making sure not to get on the highway(the right into the service road) ...make the first left you can(under the highway) and then the next left and follow that(the service road) directly into the pier. take the ramp up the first level and drop off your luggage where indicated for your ship.

If you are parking immediately after the up ramp take the ramp into the parking area. There will be porters to take your luggage in the front of the parking area(or there should be)....

The advantage of dropping off across the highway is avoiding the sometimes lengthy traffic bottlenecks on the pier roadway. If you can handle your own bags across, then I recommend doing that, otherwise go to the pier.....

I am considering taking the Gem next year out of NYC. The two options are to either:

a) Take the Megabus out of DC to NYC. Then cab it to the terminal. Megabus is dirt cheap and the cab wouldn't be too expensive. Sometimes taking the bus isn't so glamorous though.

or

b) Driving up to the NY Waterway ferry, parking, taking the ferry, and then walking the few blocks.

Hmmm... decisions!

Thanks for the info, everyone :)

-aj

The advantage of dropping off across the highway is avoiding the sometimes lengthy traffic bottlenecks on the pier roadway. If you can handle your own bags across, then I recommend doing that, otherwise go to the pier.....

Having experienced the traffic bottlenecks, I can tell you that I have seen waits as long as 1 to 1½ hours just getting from 57th St. to a spot at the pier for drop off (off course, it will greatly depend on how many ships are also in port that day).

Archived